U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2015, 03:52 PM
 
5,089 posts, read 14,834,417 times
Reputation: 7005

Advertisements

If I was going to move into Wheat Ridge and knowing that Applewood is highly priced by natives and long term residents; and wanted a new home and had your budget, I would consider this new development:

Fireside at Applewood - New Homes in Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 | CalAtlantic Homes

Look and over and you will see that it borders the Wheat Ridge Green Belt along Clear Creek. This is considered one of the best trails with parks that are very wooded--rare for this area.

Clear Creek Trail, Wheat Ridge, Colorado designated National Recreation Trails

Because this is so highly regarded, you will see large estates bordering this Green Belt

It is just east of the main shopping area in Applewood which is where Golden, Lakewood and Wheat Ridge come together.

Livecontent
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2015, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
24,204 posts, read 17,410,482 times
Reputation: 38219
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
If I was going to move into Wheat Ridge and knowing that Applewood is highly priced by natives and long term residents; and wanted a new home and had your budget, I would consider this new development:

Fireside at Applewood - New Homes in Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 | CalAtlantic Homes

Look and over and you will see that it borders the Wheat Ridge Green Belt along Clear Creek. This is considered one of the best trails with parks that are very wooded--rare for this area.

Clear Creek Trail, Wheat Ridge, Colorado designated National Recreation Trails

Because this is so highly regarded, you will see large estates bordering this Green Belt

It is just east of the main shopping area in Applewood which is where Golden, Lakewood and Wheat Ridge come together.

Livecontent
Not in the OP's budget. A base model is under 600K but very few people want a base model home.

You can see what finished houses run here - 628K for the least expensive, running up over 800K
Fireside at Applewood - New Homes in Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 | CalAtlantic Homes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 04:27 PM
 
5,089 posts, read 14,834,417 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Not in the OP's budget. A base model is under 600K but very few people want a base model home.

You can see what finished houses run here - 628K for the least expensive, running up over 800K
Fireside at Applewood - New Homes in Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 | CalAtlantic Homes
The house you buy is many times more based on the mortgage you can purchase and the interest market rate at that time. Sometimes, buyers limit themselves with their budgets but it is what one is paying every month out of your income is the most important factor, not the total cost of the purchase. Given that interest rates are low, it is possible to buy more than what you think in your limited budget.

Also, some people do buy the base model if they know not to be encouraged by the these pushy marketing folks who make you feel that you do not belong unless you buy this and that--but yes, few buy the basic model.

So, I am given the OP the information and also to point out there are newer infilled communities being built in Wheat Ridge which is mostly older with little vacant land.

Also the extensive detailed information, I post, is for all viewers to help, not only for the OP--they may not know all about the area as much as I do.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-07-2015 at 04:39 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Berkeley Neighborhood, Denver, CO USA
17,190 posts, read 27,296,943 times
Reputation: 31633
Default Not me

I would not.
Big houses on tiny lots.
McMansions some would say.
Not attractive at all.

But, Applejack is close.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,351 posts, read 115,645,741 times
Reputation: 35920
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelvedere View Post
More true than you think. I'm not quite in Wheat Ridge but Applewood (so basically there), and there are four houses with children under 2 on my block alone, all recent purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes and No. The City is changing fast. I was in a meeting with some city Administrators and they are thrilled that the demographics is changing. Many of the elderly have the senior exemption for property tax as they are over 65 and lived in their house for over ten years. Now with many of them going to their eternal rewards, as another poster has indicating, younger homeowners are moving into the city and do not qualify for senior tax exemptions.

Wheat Ridge is coming to be a very desirous place to live. As North Denver gentrifies and gets more expensive, this contiguous suburbs is seeing more buying homes. It is especially seen as a good place for a variety older eclectic housing that are seeing renovations. Wheat Ridge is also part of the well regarded area of Applewood with very nice housing and location. You also see much new infill housing developments.

Wheat Ridge has one of the best urban park trails along Clear Creek. It also is very near the new upscale neighborhoods of North Denver and the vibrancy of Downtown Denver; at the same time close to the foothills of the Rockies with all the outdoor amenities and parks . Given all this, Wheat Ridge is expected to become even more sought out as a place to live.

That is why you are seeing more upscale stores like Sprouts opening in the city because of these changes. With the unique older established restaurants and shops, the new will merge nicely into Wheat Ridge and create a quality and difference that stand out among many other suburbs.

I highly recommend Wheat Ridge.

Livecontent
I hear what both of you are saying, but. . .

I live in an older neighborhood in Louisville. Older by CO standards anyway. Most of the homes were built in the late 70s/early 80s, continuing until about 1990. Most of the original owners had small children. ((I will add, that is an advantage of moving into a new neighborhood of "family size" homes. Also, these people will be newcomers, at least to the neighborhood if not the area, which can make them more friendly.)) Now that my digression is done. . . We moved here in 1989. Many of the original owners were still here, most of the sales had been to other families with small kids. Our kids were 2 and 5 years old at the time. There were tons of kids! I'd estimate that at least 75% of the houses had kids in them. The bus stops were loaded with kids. But, slowly, slowly the kids grew up. (The parents, of course, did not get any older, LOL!) By the time my youngest was in 5th grade, the last year of elementary school, there were only a handful of kids at the one bus stop, which had been consolidated from three when we moved in. The number of kids Trick or Treating, once huge, grew smaller. From 5 to say 8 years ago, we'd be lucky to get a half dozen kids. Over the years, most of the owners that were here when we moved in were still around, and again, when houses were sold it was usually to someone with kids. But there just weren't as many as before. The Trick or Treat numbers are now trending up again, finally! We had 26 this year. But that is nowhere near the numbers of the early 90s. Lots of us old timers have no plans to go anywhere until we move into assisted living.

The reason for this ramble is that is what is likely to happen in Wheat Ridge. There will be more kids, eventually, but it will probably never be a super small child oriented area again. Those days are gone. (IMO)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 07:39 PM
 
5,089 posts, read 14,834,417 times
Reputation: 7005
Of course, the best developments with many children are new developments of entry level homes that attract young parents. they are the most friendly because these new home owners form a bound. However, time change; children grow up and parents age; homes are sold but not at the some and not the same age of fertile young parents but that is the way of the world.

If you have money when you are young then you will move into a more upscale development but that does not necessarily have all young parents who have children.

But you cannot always plan your home buying with children having multiple children around and it is not always the best or the only way to raise children. I lived in NYC, in Manhattan. There were many children but also many older residents and many singles, gays and lesbians (even though at that time, it was known who they were, it was not so stated openly). These children raised in this type of environment have influences of a varied background and I think will serves them well in life.

This is a modern world. Children are exposed to much in the media. It is not always possible, or necessary or desired to have them in that perfect world of young married mommies and daddies living in perfect bliss with many young children around. In fact, today these parents have less children of those of the past and there are varied types of arrangements of families in this modern world of modern families.

So, your ideas of avoiding Wheat Ridge because it is older and consequently is not the spanking new sterile homes that you desire is not always the best idea for all.

Livecontent
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 07:49 PM
 
5,089 posts, read 14,834,417 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would not.
Big houses on tiny lots.
McMansions some would say.
Not attractive at all.

But, Applejack is close.
You always make me laugh!

If it was me, I would buy one of the great older homes and remodel and renew. They would have larger lots and the homes would be more varied. More than likely it would not have a homeowners association with the cost and drama.

Yet, OP wanted a new home and in Applewood it is difficult to find. Being near this great greenbelt with a path to the trails makes it exceptional. I do not think they are as large as what you would call a McMansion and the lots are adequate but I see your point.

Yes, I like that it is walkable to the shopping area of Applejack but with the many more attraction of some restaurants and basic shopping with King Sooopers. Of course, you would expect that I would also like that in this shopping center is a bus transfer point for public transit--in front of the Walmart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,351 posts, read 115,645,741 times
Reputation: 35920
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Of course, the best developments with many children are new developments of entry level homes that attract young parents. they are the most friendly because these new home owners form a bound. However, time change; children grow up and parents age; homes are sold but not at the some and not the same age of fertile young parents but that is the way of the world.

If you have money when you are young then you will move into a more upscale development but that does not necessarily have all young parents who have children.

But you cannot always plan your home buying with children having multiple children around and it is not always the best or the only way to raise children. I lived in NYC, in Manhattan. There were many children but also many older residents and many singles, gays and lesbians (even though at that time, it was known who they were, it was not so stated openly). These children raised in this type of environment have influences of a varied background and I think will serves them well in life.

This is a modern world. Children are exposed to much in the media. It is not always possible, or necessary or desired to have them in that perfect world of young married mommies and daddies living in perfect bliss with many young children around. In fact, today these parents have less children of those of the past and there are varied types of arrangements of families in this modern world of modern families.

So, your ideas of avoiding Wheat Ridge because it is older and consequently is not the spanking new sterile homes that you desire is not always the best idea for all.

Livecontent
Are you talking to me? Where/when did I say that I wanted a "spanking new sterile home"? Please be specific. My house wasn't new when I/we bought it, neither was the previous home we owned.

I was giving my experience in my neighborhood. From what I have heard/read in other places, my neighborhood's experience is typical. In fact, I went to a presentation by Boulder Valley Schools where they stated much the same, based on research.

I never said that my neighborhood consisted of "young married mommies and daddies living in perfect bliss with many young children around" either now or in the past. I said there were a lot of kids in the past. Perfect bliss? I don't think so. There was some sort of "swinger" group in my neighborhood back before we moved in, with four couples, all of whom ended up divorced; only two of the swingers ended up together out of 8 people. It may come as some surprise to you, but I am aware of all types of families, and am acquainted with many non-traditional arrangements right here in my neighborhood, e.g. gay parents, non-married couples sharing parenting, multiple generations living together, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 08:29 PM
 
5,089 posts, read 14,834,417 times
Reputation: 7005
^ I was speaking about the whole subject and to address your original statement on this thread:

Wheat Ridge is one of the oldest, if not the oldest burb in terms of age of residents. Probably not the best place for someone with a young family.

Wheat Ridge is, of course, a good place and maybe the best place for a young family. There is absolutely nothing wrong is raising children among and around older people--it may be the best for the children and I believe it is also the best for the aged for their quality of life to still be near the youth, even if it is just in a passing hello.

So, why argue the point--you said what you think and I expanded on that statement to express my views. Your suggestion to the OP was just as valid as all other suggestion and perhaps is something that they would want to consider. I just argued my point against your statement but not against you and some would reject my argument which is their right as parents.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-07-2015 at 08:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,351 posts, read 115,645,741 times
Reputation: 35920
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
So, why argue the point--you said what you think and I expanded on that statement to express my views.

Livecontent
With quite a bit of snark to those who disagree!

I'd give Wheat Ridge 10 years. Maybe when today's high school seniors are ready to start families, it will have a big enough nexus of kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top