Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:11 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,103,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
What you should do is talk to someone in admissions in both schools. Find out the number of students who apply to med school and their acceptance rates. Your intended path is exactly what I did (BS Biomedical Engineering, then med school), though when I did it, there were only a handful of schools in the country offering Biomedical Engineering as an undergrad degree (mid 70s).
Best advice on the thread. Mines is an excellent school but I'm not clear if it's a good pre-med school. You need to do further investigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 04:21 PM

17,691 posts, read 29,669,877 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Mines is an excellent school but I'm not clear if it's a good pre-med school..
Mines - rigorous program similar to med school
Mines - lots a smart, over achievers as classmates and semi-competitors
Mines - you leave with lots of science and math

Old 11-10-2015, 04:05 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,071,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Ah the life of a millennial...not committed to anything.
As an educator who has seen too many students lives ruined under the burden of debt I feel that your flippant comment is unwarranted. These are serious concerns that should be given the weight they deserve.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:03 PM

371 posts, read 354,736 times
I was familiar with Mines in the mid-'80s. Certainly it's changed, and broadened, but its historic mission has had nothing to do with pre-med. It's so closely linked with the natural resources industries that it's something closer to a service academy than a general-interest university. I've heard a current Physics major at CSM tell me that his department is a neglected backwater, overshadowed by predominant interest in Chemical and mechanical and petroleum Engineering- so it not even a well-rounded engineering school.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,457,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
As an educator who has seen too many students lives ruined under the burden of debt I feel that your flippant comment is unwarranted. These are serious concerns that should be given the weight they deserve.
Its the attitude of many today. 5+ yrs for an undergrad because they want to play the field of majors. Walking into a Univ w/o a plan is not a good idea.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,103,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Mines - rigorous program similar to med school
Mines - lots a smart, over achievers as classmates and semi-competitors
Mines - you leave with lots of science and math
I wasn't commenting on the rigor or quality of the school in general, I was saying that I didn't know if they had a strong pre-med program in place, where it's easy to meet all the med school pre-requisites. Maybe they do, I just don't know. That's why it is worth talking to them about it. It would not be worth it to go there if the OP still had to do a post bac afterwards to be able to apply to med school.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:17 AM

17,691 posts, read 29,669,877 times
Default Mines, all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
where it's easy to meet all the med school pre-requisites
Pretty sure that https://hms.harvard.edu/departments/...ents-admission can be met by attending Mines.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:33 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,071,502 times
Quote:
Its the attitude of many today. 5+ yrs for an undergrad because they want to play the field of majors. Walking into a Univ w/o a plan is not a good idea.
I agree. If a student has no idea what they want to do I usually encourage them to go to a CC or enter the work force. But I also don't think there is anything wrong with a backup plan. Engineering is tough and many attempt to enter the feild who aren't cut out for it or are not actually interested only to burn out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
I was familiar with Mines in the mid-'80s. Certainly it's changed, and broadened, but its historic mission has had nothing to do with pre-med. It's so closely linked with the natural resources industries that it's something closer to a service academy than a general-interest university. I've heard a current Physics major at CSM tell me that his department is a neglected backwater, overshadowed by predominant interest in Chemical and mechanical and petroleum Engineering- so it not even a well-rounded engineering school.
I have heard this as well. My brother went to mines only to transfer when he realized he didn't actually want to work in extraction.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:02 AM

112 posts, read 167,749 times
Quote:
Ah the life of a millennial...not committed to anything.
dude is making a solid push for the jazzlover's vacant throne.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:06 PM

977 posts, read 1,321,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
Physcis is getting new, fancy digs in the $50M building for the College of Applied Science and Engineering- that might help with the backwater feeling. It's also worth nothing the Mines is one of the top schools for physic undergraduates with one of the largest programs in the nation. Which either implies that physics is a universally neglected backwater, or this student's experiences are abnormal.

Mines is certainly focused more on the applied sciences then a pre-med track. If the OP wanted to focus on a career in research and applications in bioengineering or biomechanics Mines would certainly be the 1st choice. But as a conduit to medical school? I don't know.

Though the average starting salary of undergraduate's at Mines at $69K/yr should give pause. CU-Denver's graduates make nowhere near that right out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: