Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:04 AM

28 posts, read 63,664 times

Advertisements

I received an offer from the School of Mines for 2016 school year (engineering) but wonder anyone out there can provide me the insights related to Bioengineering course in University of Denver.

I have strong interest in pursuing medicine after four years of under graduate study; but if I decide to work, at least the under-graduate engineering degree can provide me a better job opportunity. I know School of Mines will provide the necessary pre-requisite for me to enroll in Gradutae School doing Medicine (corrent me if I were wrong) but the Bioengineering in CU-Denver seems like a better alternative.

Any thoughts and comments ar ehighly appreciated.

BTW I am in highschool senior year right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 10:18 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Mines.
More rigorous.
Better reputation.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:30 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
CU Denver is not the same thing as University of Denver

Old 11-08-2015, 01:39 PM

28 posts, read 63,664 times
Default Colorado School of Mines vs University of Colorado (CU-Denver)

I received an offer from the School of Mines for 2016 school year (engineering) but wonder anyone out there can provide me the insights related to Bioengineering course in University of Colorado (CU-Denver).

I have strong interest in pursuing medicine after four years of under graduate study; but if I decide to work, at least the under-graduate engineering degree can provide me a better job opportunity. I know Colorado School of Mines will provide the necessary pre-requisite for me to enroll in Gradutae School doing Medicine (corrent me if I were wrong) but the Bioengineering in CU-Denver seems like a better alternative.

Any thoughts and comments ar ehighly appreciated.

BTW I am in highschool senior year right now.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:45 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
I would go for CU because if you change your mind about what you want to do with your life you will have a wide variety of programs to choose from whereas if it turns out that you aren't interested in engineering at Mines you basically will have no choice but to transfer schools. Just my $0.02

Old 11-08-2015, 02:44 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
To clarify, are you talking about some graduate engineering degree in Biomedical Engineering or something similar, or are you talking about going to Medical School? If you are talking about Med school, then I can't imagine the School of Mines would give you the pre reqs you need, which include multiple chemistry and biology classes etc. Maybe I am way off on their curriculum, though.

You can go back and do post baccalaureate studies to get your pre reqs done for Med school regardless of what your Undergraduate degree is. You usually have to go back to school full time for over a year. I know because my husband did it after getting an Undergraduate business degree and deciding a few years later he wanted to go to Med school.

Edit: When I glance over the curriculum at the School of Mines, I do see many classes required for Med School (Organic Chemistry, Biochem etc), so that being said, I would say that the School of Mines is a much better and more academically rigorous option than CU Denver, and will give you great job options after graduation should your plans change from Med school.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 11-08-2015 at 02:56 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 04:26 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Mines is a world class school. It will leave more doors open for you.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:53 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,944,468 times
CU-Denver would be pretty far down the list if I was in your shoes.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:29 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,679 times
What you should do is talk to someone in admissions in both schools. Find out the number of students who apply to med school and their acceptance rates. Your intended path is exactly what I did (BS Biomedical Engineering, then med school), though when I did it, there were only a handful of schools in the country offering Biomedical Engineering as an undergrad degree (mid 70s).

Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I would go for CU because if you change your mind about what you want to do with your life you will have a wide variety of programs to choose from whereas if it turns out that you aren't interested in engineering at Mines you basically will have no choice but to transfer schools. Just my $0.02
Ah the life of a millennial...not committed to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: