U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:45 PM

930 posts, read 535,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Denver grew faster, later. Maybe in the '60s, you could get away with bulldozing neighborhoods to put in a freeway, but not today. And seriously... 6th Ave. or Colfax? No one is going to bulldoze historic homes and buildings. I wouldn't mind if they bulldozed through most of Aurora on Colfax, but once you get to the Denver line, Colfax is cleaning up, if not already nice. It can't be widened, period. A streetcar down Colfax is probably the only option, other than buses.

Denver is getting denser and population is rising. That means traffic will continue to get worse, and neighborhoods near the city core will rise in value. I drive through it every day, but it's the price I pay for living in a desirable city. There's no such thing as a large, vibrant city where everyone cant get where they want without traffic. I live in Stapleton, and when I was working downtown, it took about 30 - 35 min. to get to work. Not bad, IMO.
The point of my OP is that they need better routes to connect East Denver with the rest of the region. As of now, it's a fairly isolated part of the region. Looking at Denver Metro compared to other major metros, it's pretty clear that our road system is pretty shoddy.

For a growing major city that's pushing towards 3/4 of a million people in the city alone, the highway system is underwhelming and laughable. The public transit also needs to get significantly better in order to supplement the lack of transportation infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:56 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,231,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
The point of my OP is that they need better routes to connect East Denver with the rest of the region. As of now, it's a fairly isolated part of the region. Looking at Denver Metro compared to other major metros, it's pretty clear that our road system is pretty shoddy.

For a growing major city that's pushing towards 3/4 of a million people in the city alone, the highway system is underwhelming and laughable. The public transit also needs to get significantly better in order to supplement the lack of transportation infrastructure.
Well, I suppose. But you can certainly get on a bus or in a car and get from Aurora to downtown Denver. Having lived in the L.A. area for many years, I can say this. Having more freeways everywhere doesn't translate into no traffic.

At this point in time, there will be no grand east/west freeway bulldozed through neighborhoods of Aurora and Denver. Maybe a few streets could be widened here and there, but I don't see much of anywhere that has the space for it. Especially once you get into the older, denser neighborhoods of Denver.

If you're talking about way out by E-470, well, that's why houses are cheaper out there. The location sucks. They widened the 225, and other than the section down by the dam, it runs smoothly even during rush hour. I live in Stapleton and have access to 3 freeways (70/225/270) within 10 min. of my house, plus 2 LR lines next year.

Have you lived in a large city before? Because traffic could be a lot worse than Denver has it right now.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well, I suppose. But you can certainly get on a bus or in a car and get from Aurora to downtown Denver. Having lived in the L.A. area for many years, I can say this. Having more freeways everywhere doesn't translate into no traffic.

At this point in time, there will be no grand east/west freeway bulldozed through neighborhoods of Aurora and Denver. Maybe a few streets could be widened here and there, but I don't see much of anywhere that has the space for it. Especially once you get into the older, denser neighborhoods of Denver.

If you're talking about way out by E-470, well, that's why houses are cheaper out there. The location sucks. They widened the 225, and other than the section down by the dam, it runs smoothly even during rush hour. I live in Stapleton and have access to 3 freeways (70/225/270) within 10 min. of my house, plus 2 LR lines next year.

Have you lived in a large city before? Because traffic could be a lot worse than Denver has it right now.
Yes, I have lived in other major cities. They typically make better use of the grid system and spoke and hub system. With Denver, it seems like they only cared about connecting downtown and the western burbs. I was just curious if there was a reason they seemingly left the eastern half of the region feeling so disconnected. Considering there is a fairly large working class populace in that area, one would think there would be a greater focus on transit to jobs.

The main point is that East Denver and the east burbs are vastly under served with good public transit or roadways that get to the rest of the region efficiently.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:37 PM

919 posts, read 985,181 times
Quote:
Yes, I have lived in other major cities. They typically make better use of the grid system and spoke and hub system. With Denver, it seems like they only cared about connecting downtown and the western burbs. I was just curious if there was a reason they seemingly left the eastern half of the region feeling so disconnected. Considering there is a fairly large working class populace in that area, one would think there would be a greater focus on transit to jobs.

The main point is that East Denver and the east burbs are vastly under served with good public transit or roadways that get to the rest of the region efficiently.
They're underconnected highway-wise because the eastern sections that you mentioned, which are more the south east section of the Metro area, really only started sprouting up about 20 years ago, which is probably 10-20 years too late to see any kind of highway construction. Transit-wise the SE Denver area is probably some of the absolute worst areas to serve with transit. It's got a low population density, no grid system whatsoever to speak of, and so many suburban subdivisions that running bus routes through the areas is problematic at best. As you mentioned, Cherry Creek is also an impediment for E/W connections in the area.

Another factor to consider is that most of the area you talk about is in Aurora which has been more focused on expanding then improving the already built portions of the city.

Last edited by wong21fr; 11-10-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Even with regards to the attached area image, the transit system (roads/highways/public transit) is pretty tedious to commute, particularly during rush hour. And this isn't even on the outer ring of the metro. The major arteries (Alameda, Colfax, Evans) that serve east/west traffic flow are way too narrow. And as I mentioned before, Parker bottlenecks at Colorado, where Cherry Creek begins. From this particular area, it's just not easy to get to either downtown or the western burbs by way of the surface roads.

I would personally like to see some improvements to transportation systems in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
The Transit Desert That Is East Denver-denver.jpg  

Old 11-10-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Even with regards to the attached area image, the transit system (roads/highways/public transit) is pretty tedious to commute, particularly during rush hour. And this isn't even on the outer ring of the metro. The major arteries (Alameda, Colfax, Evans) that serve east/west traffic flow are way too narrow. And as I mentioned before, Parker bottlenecks at Colorado, where Cherry Creek begins. From this particular area, it's just not easy to get to either downtown or the western burbs by way of the surface roads.

I would personally like to see some improvements to transportation systems in that area.
Well, yeah. I have to drop my kids off at school in the morning in Lowry, then head to Lone Tree for work. From Lowry, there is no freeway nearby, and the surface streets all have bottlenecks and horrible traffic. So I generally take Quebec down to Hampden, then west on Hampden to the freeway. It takes about a half hour to 40 min. to get from Lowry to the Hampden/25 interchange. And Quebec has a bad bottleneck by the cemetery. Oddly, from Hampden to Lone Tree down the freeway only takes me about 10 min.

It is what it is. Even if they added a 2nd lane on Quebec along the cemetery, I don't know if it would really help. And the east/west streets like Hampden or Yale are always extremely backed up.

I could take the train to work once the 225 line opens, but since I drop my kids off by Lowry, I'd have to drive over to a train station along 225. In the long run, it probably wouldn't save me any time. I'll try it though.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:14 PM

OH, and then there's the stupidity of the south end of 225. If you take it in the morning, it can easily take 20 min. to get from Parker Rd. to the 25 interchange. All due to poor freeway design where you lose one lane at Yosemite, then lose another lane at DTC Blvd. So bottlenecking 4 lanes into two. The 225/70 interchange has 4 lanes so two can go off to 70 west and 2 lanes go off to 70 east. If it were the same on the south end, it would flow a lot better. It's like they purposely build bottlenecks in Denver.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah. I have to drop my kids off at school in the morning in Lowry, then head to Lone Tree for work. From Lowry, there is no freeway nearby, and the surface streets all have bottlenecks and horrible traffic. So I generally take Quebec down to Hampden, then west on Hampden to the freeway. It takes about a half hour to 40 min. to get from Lowry to the Hampden/25 interchange. And Quebec has a bad bottleneck by the cemetery. Oddly, from Hampden to Lone Tree down the freeway only takes me about 10 min.

It is what it is. Even if they added a 2nd lane on Quebec along the cemetery, I don't know if it would really help. And the east/west streets like Hampden or Yale are always extremely backed up.

I could take the train to work once the 225 line opens, but since I drop my kids off by Lowry, I'd have to drive over to a train station along 225. In the long run, it probably wouldn't save me any time. I'll try it though.
I'm hoping that in the not-too-distant future, they can add a line that runs east to west (perhaps along Alameda) from the 225 lines and merge with the lines that run along 25. I don't know if they have the real estate for it, but I'd be satisfied with that. Nine Mile Station and the future Florida station are just very inefficient routes getting downtown, where I currently work.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:24 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,519,917 times
Mr. Analyst:

You keep saying the same over and over in all your post. You do not like the highways. You do not like the roads as being too narrow. You do not like the public transit and you want improvements.

You seem to want the authorities to tear up all the roads that exist and make them wider and easier for your auto commute from west to east. It is not going to happen in these established areas. Colorado Blvd. and roads that feed into are very congested and there is not much that can be done other than get more of the auto drivers off the road. Also, there is so much of a limit of public transit that can be implemented in already build out, established and and older area. It has been discussed to put BRT and streetcars in the area but it does not seem to be a possibility. We just have to remove more cars off the roads.

The area may even get much population along 9th were the health center was located. Since that center was abandoned and has gone to Anshutz, you would think that it would have diminished the traffic into this area--but it did not. However, with the popularity of Denver with new buildings in this area and the renewal of that health complex with more residences and shops, we will see much more traffic.

I have given you info about the improvement of the public transit in the area. As I see it there is ample public transit by bus as much as would be expected in this area with some improvement with the rail opening along 225. However, I get the impression that you do not use public transit and want all to satisfy your auto driving. Well, that is not going to happen.

However, you did indicate something that is part of the future of public transit in this area. The authorities and the experts do recognize the need for rail to cross east to west across the center and south metro area. That implementation will have to wait until we accomplish what we have on the table at this time. It will be decades before that is brought before the voters, funding is achieved, project is planned, EIS is approved. construction is commenced and completed. I will be long gone when that is completed.

Take more public transit and yes it may take you longer to get to your job but perhaps you will be less frustrated. You just have to get use to be living in a dense city with a growing population. Complaining on and on about these issues on this forum is not going to accomplish anything. There are many public meetings and outlets at the government representative level that you can use to express your opinions--I suggest you use them as I have many times. They are required to hear your complaints and sometimes they even listen.

It took decades to get where we are today. It is amazing what we have accomplished in public transit. We even had a failed voter initiative called Guide the Ride in 1997 and with that we would have been much further along--but we continue to work on the vision. The country is seeing us as having created excellent transit projects, especially with the public/private funding. We have become an example to other cities. We have done much but we need to do much more. Many of us are exhausted, old and dying and will not be around; we need the help of the next generation. Are you willing to get down and dirty and join us to achieve and fix what you find lacking.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-10-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Mr. Analyst:

You keep saying the same over and over in all your post. You do not like the highways. You do not like the roads as being too narrow. You do not like the public transit and you want improvements.

You seem to want the authorities to tear up all the roads that exist and make them wider and easier for your auto commute from west to east. It is not going to happen in these established areas. Colorado Blvd. and roads that feed into are very congested and there is not much that can be done other than get more of the auto drivers off the road. Also, there is so much of a limit of public transit that can be implemented in already build out, established and and older area. It has been discussed to put BRT and streetcars in the area but it does not seem to be a possibility. We just have to remove more cars off the roads.

The area may even get much population along 9th were the health center was located. Since that center was abandoned and has gone to Anshutz, you would think that it would have diminished the traffic into this area--but it did not. However, with the popularity of Denver with new buildings in this area and the renewal of that health complex with more residences and shops, we will see much more traffic.

I have given you info about the improvement of the public transit in the area. As I see it there is ample public transit by bus as much as would be expected in this area with some improvement with the rail opening along 225. However, I get the impression that you do not use public transit and want all to satisfy your auto driving. Well, that is not going to happen.

However, you did indicate something that is part of the future of public transit in this area. The authorities and the experts do recognize the need for rail to cross east to west across the center and south metro area. That implementation will have to wait until we accomplish what we have on the table at this time. It will be decades before that is brought before the voters, funding is achieved, project is planned, EIS is approved. construction is commenced and completed. I will be long gone when that is completed.

It took also decades to get where we are today. It is amazing what we have accomplished. We even had a failed voter initiative called Guide the Ride in 1997 and with that we would have been much further along--but we continue to work on the vision. The country is seeing us as having creating excellent projects, especially with the public/private funding. We have done much but we need to do much more. Are you willing to get down and dirty and join us.

Take more public transit and yes it may take you longer to get to your job but perhaps you will be less frustrated. You just have to get use to be living in a dense city with a growing population. Complaining on and on about these issues on this forum is not going to accomplish anything. There are many public meetings and outlets at the government representative level that you can use to express your opinions--I suggest you use them as I have many times. They are required to hear your complaints and sometimes they even listen.

Livecontent
Mr. livecontent,

How pleasant of you to make assumptions about my commuting tendencies. As a matter of fact, I use public transit almost daily, as I was provided an Eco-Pass by my employer which is located in the heart of downtown. My point in the OP is that commuting from East Denver and East Metro Denver is particularly a nuisance in comparison to the rest of the metro region, particularly the west. Not only do they have better highway systems on the west side, but they have a far more efficient method of public transit by way of light rail. My commute by bus in the morning takes approximately 1 hr, if I leave before 6:30am. And my commute by bus in the evening is closer to 1.5 hours. Light rail is the most efficient method of travel, taking approximately 50 minutes both ways regardless of time.

I was simply asking if anybody else has noticed this lack of transit systems in East Denver and what their hypothetical solutions would be. I simply provided my hypothetical solutions to this hypothetical situation. My proposed hypothetical solution would be an east/west connection line, either via highway/expanded avenue/light rail somewhere between I-70 and Hampden. Preferably, I would think the Alameda corridor would be the best placement of this given it's central location.

If you would also like to partake in this discussion of hypothetical solutions, please feel free to add your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or