U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:58 AM

76 posts, read 52,123 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am looking at career opportunities in Denver. I would love to hear back from current/former residents regarding your experience of Denver and if you think Denver may be a good fit for someone like me.

About me:

I am a single, mid-40's female, BA in Liberal Arts, have worked in Non-Profit sector for some time.

In 2009, I was (happily!) living in Oakland, CA but lost my job when the economy tanked. I wound up moving to St. Petersburg, FL (family lives here) and have been here (very unhappily!) for 6 years. Now that I am back on my feet, it's time to find a place that I love, where I can set down roots.

I was looking at returning to the West Coast (SF Bay area, Portland, OR, Seattle, WA) but the folks already living in these cities are being priced out of their homes and to move there seems like a huge risk - unless one works in the tech industry or was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I just would not pay $1,500 a month for a micro-studio, and the "privilege" of living in Seattle - despite it's beauty and desirability - even if I was able.

Because I live car-free, I would like to live in a place that is walkable/has really good public transportation/is bike-friendly.

Weather: I am absolutely MISERABLE in my current climate and do not (at all) enjoy sweltering humidity/heat 7 months out of the year and would prefer a crisp, cool climate (I am originally from NY, so I LOVE seasons!!).

I am an visual artist, I love (and will be bringing!) my two small dogs, frequenting coffee shops, art galleries, books stores, movie theatres, libraries, farmer's markets...and want to live in a city where I can actually AFFORD to do these things while also being able to keep a roof over my head.

Please share your experience of living in Denver, in relation to what I have wrote here: economy/culture/climate/housing/etc.- thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 11:03 AM

898 posts, read 987,562 times
I think your interests line up with Denver and you can find everything you are looking for, except for the "actually AFFORD to do these things while also being able to keep a roof over my head" - I suspect non-profit doesn't pay too well and Denver rent prices, while not nearly at CA levels, are (AFAIK) reaching or have already reached Seattle levels.

Rent has gone up lately, Denver is no longer the "hidden gem" it was even until 2 years ago. You might want to investigate Denver rental prices to make sure you can afford it while still enjoying all the things you want to enjoy.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:52 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,813,073 times
What is your budget for rent?

Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 PM

76 posts, read 52,123 times
I would like to pay $900 or less for a pet friendly one-bedroom

Old 11-18-2015, 06:51 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default Denver is tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayOlive View Post
like to pay $900 or less for a pet friendly one-bedroom
Good Luck.
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...r-rent-trends/

Old 11-18-2015, 07:34 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,680,257 times
Sounds like you'd like Denver, but as noted, the rent is high there. Also, the air is really dry, so dry that it may adversely affect you. For me, it drove me nuts, constant nose bleeds and sinus irritation. You'll also need lots of chapstick. A humidifier will help. The Sun is also ultra bright and like a laser beam. The good thing is that Winter there is not all that bad. Occasional blizzards, but lots of 60ish and sunny days intermixed.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 PM

2,252 posts, read 4,506,023 times
To live in the kind of neighborhood you describe, you aren't going to find that in Denver. The rents have almost become comparable to California BUT have you considered Colorado Springs? It's really nice, albeit much smaller, than Denver and and only 1-1.5 hours south. The rents there seem to be far less. I'm not sure what the job market is like there but it seems to fit your requirements.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:11 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,672,246 times
I don't think Denver would be your best choice. We do have all the things you mentioned, but the primary cultural driving force behind Denver is professional sports, drinking beer, hiking (where people bring their BIG dogs), biking. I didn't see any of that mentioned in your list. I think the northwest would be a better fit for you culturally.

Don't necessarily limit yourself to just the big cities (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco). Consider smaller cities as well where you may be able to enjoy the lifestyle and cultural amenities you desire, on a smaller scale. How about Olympia, Bellingham, Eugene, Corvallis? College towns in general have a lot of what you are looking for. Maybe even a college town in upstate New York or something-- something like an Ithaca?

Denver gets very, very hot in the summer. The radiation from the sun can be intense and you need to watch out for sunburn. We don't have the humidity of Florida, and it usually cools down significantly at night, but it's not unheard of for highs to be in the 90s day in, day out during the peak months of summer.

Not to mention that the average rent in Denver is just a smidge less than Seattle.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 PM

117 posts, read 111,337 times
Quote:
..I was looking at returning to the West Coast (SF Bay area, Portland, OR, Seattle, WA) but the folks already living in these cities are being priced out of their homes..
The exact same thing is currently happening in Denver...

Quote:
I would like to pay $900 or less for a pet friendly one-bedroom
Nope! Not gonna happen here. Denver's rent is practically the same as both Portland and Seattle. You'll find little to no savings in rental comparisons of either cities.

However, all three cities are bargains compared to even the least desirable locations of the Bay Area so it's not all bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
To live in the kind of neighborhood you describe, you aren't going to find that in Denver. The rents have almost become comparable to California BUT have you considered Colorado Springs? It's really nice, albeit much smaller, than Denver and and only 1-1.5 hours south. The rents there seem to be far less. I'm not sure what the job market is like there but it seems to fit your requirements.
Um, the OP specifically stated "I live car-free, I would like to live in a place that is walkable/has really good public transportation/is bike-friendly."

The Springs is not walkable, has abysmal public transit (probably one of the worst in the country for a city its size), and isn't bike-friendly whatsoever

Colorado Springs is the epitome of sprawl and auto-centrism. Living car-free is virtually impossible there. The entire city is reminiscent of one humongous suburb.

Last edited by Deezy303; 11-18-2015 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-18-2015, 11:28 PM

2,174 posts, read 3,668,295 times
As VegasPilgrim says, consider smaller cities...perhaps Tacoma, within an hour or 90 minutes to Seattle in rush hour, I think.

Funky, artsy, rapidly improving, affordable though still high crime in parts, cool neighborhoods and waterfront, The Sounder train to Seattle, nice view of Mt. Rainier. I was pleasantly surprised at parts of it in my visit three years ago. Even had a Trader Joe's, museums and such.

The U S. Open was held near there not long ago, in a lovely setting.

Craigslist would reveal some cool, hip apts. for no more than $1,000, I sense. Check the WA state forum for some good threads. Plenty of older studios for $675-$850.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or