U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Loving the Baker Hood!!
380 posts, read 1,133,131 times
Reputation: 138

Advertisements

Steveindenver...
I hope you don't mean that I am not welcome because I come from the country?! This is where I grew up. However, I have never really fit in here. I am not intersted in ranching or cows. I feel like I am a city girl lost in the country! For the record, I don't drive a SUV. In fact, right now I don't have a car since me and my Probe had a head on with a deer recently...ouch !! I'm wondering if I need to worry about replacing my car. Can I depend on public transportation??

Last edited by the_koolkat; 02-08-2008 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM
 
24 posts, read 87,690 times
Reputation: 23
check the Denver neighborhood crime rate data at
2007 Crime Statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Loving the Baker Hood!!
380 posts, read 1,133,131 times
Reputation: 138
Thanks, Oldhorse....great site !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 PM
 
1,176 posts, read 4,034,881 times
Reputation: 463
Not at all the_koolkat from my experience the best residents come from the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 PM
 
1,176 posts, read 4,034,881 times
Reputation: 463
Quote:

I think those are the same apartments I have seen also Steve, off of 18th. They look okay from the outside, but they are close to the hospitals and there could be ambulance sounds? That is if they are by Saint Joe's?
Yeah I know the ones. A couple of guys operate those and some others with off-beat themes.

You will get accustomed to the sirens after a couple of weeks. I believe those are very nice places and they sure are located well in terms of places to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Reputation: 32945
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
Steveindenver...
I hope you don't mean that I am not welcome because I come from the country?! This is where I grew up. However, I have never really fit in here. I am not intersted in ranching or cows. I feel like I am a city girl lost in the country! For the record, I don't drive a SUV. In fact, right now I don't have a car since me and my Probe had a head on with a deer recently...ouch !! I'm wondering if I need to worry about replacing my car. Can I depend on public transportation??
I think you will need a car, at least for the occasional need to get out of town. You can get around Denver quite well on public transit, but you might not want to always be on someone else's schedule. FWIW, I don't think Colfax is *as* dangerous as some have said, but I don't think it's a Sunday School picnic there, either.

Steve, I think you need to remember you are a guy and the OP is female. That does make a difference in what is considered "unsafe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Loving the Baker Hood!!
380 posts, read 1,133,131 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think you will need a car, at least for the occasional need to get out of town. You can get around Denver quite well on public transit, but you might not want to always be on someone else's schedule. FWIW, I don't think Colfax is *as* dangerous as some have said, but I don't think it's a Sunday School picnic there, either.

Steve, I think you need to remember you are a guy and the OP is female. That does make a difference in what is considered "unsafe".
I've been thinking a car still might be needed. I have been going over the public transit schedules. Looks like I will be able to use the service most of the time at any rate. So is the system safe? I only ask because Portland is have horrible problems with crime on and along thier light rail system. I'm not a "damsel in distress" type and I can take defend myself if I need to. I just don't want to need to if you know what I mean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Reputation: 32945
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
I've been thinking a car still might be needed. I have been going over the public transit schedules. Looks like I will be able to use the service most of the time at any rate. So is the system safe? I only ask because Portland is have horrible problems with crime on and along thier light rail system. I'm not a "damsel in distress" type and I can take defend myself if I need to. I just don't want to need to if you know what I mean!
Yes, I do know what you mean. I am that way, too, as is my older daughter who lives in Denver. (I live in the 'burbs). Yes, I believe the system is safe. DD uses it at night. The issue with night service is, of course, how far do you have to walk on a dark, deserted street to get from the transit stop to your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
 
1,176 posts, read 4,034,881 times
Reputation: 463
Quote:
Steve, I think you need to remember you are a guy and the OP is female. That does make a difference in what is considered "unsafe".
My wife does not feel Colfax is a dangerous place either. Just diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Reputation: 32945
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
My wife does not feel Colfax is a dangerous place either. Just diverse.
Would she walk it alone in the dark of night? My DH has a very different idea about security than I do, including with our daughters. Men simply do not worry about their safety as much. They're usually quite big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top