U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:51 AM

9 posts, read 29,804 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I came across this thread and found that I am going through the exact same thing. I am moving in June and actually spending 8 days in Denver at the end of this month. I have been looking at Capital Hill area apartments because people have said that is where most of the younger crowd lives. I am a 22 year old female and am moving all by myself out there. I want to make sure I am both in an area that is safe and that I can meet new people and of course is close to my job. Is Capital Hill safe and in a good area for my concerns?? Any other suggestions would be helpful to probably both me and the young lady that created the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 AM

215 posts, read 710,278 times
Considering what many of you wrote about Five points I laughed when I read the description on this page...

| Live Downtown Denver | Brought To You By The Downtown Denver Partnership | Neighborhoods | Five Points |

Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,065 times
My daughter is thinking about moving into the downtown area. She's looking at Five Points and Capitol Hill. Which area would be best, and safest for an 18 year old?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,746,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mother View Post
My daughter is thinking about moving into the downtown area. She's looking at Five Points and Capitol Hill. Which area would be best, and safest for an 18 year old?
Cap Hill is better and safer, though both require some urban street smarts. Cap Hill is certainly quieter as you move further south from Colfax, so living towards the south (i.e., Governor's Park) might be a consideration if you are concerned about late-night safety.

Five points is probably okay if you're careful, but crime figures are still high there, even now, though much better than before. I think five points still has a few years before the crime figures will drop down.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,037,203 times
Capitol hill 06-07

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/337/documents/7caphill.pdf (broken link)

5 Points same period

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/337/documents/7fivepts.pdf (broken link)

If you want somewhere safer than both, at least according to the statistics and I suppose my own experience living around there for quite some time backs this up, live in the middle

City Park West:
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/337/documents/7citypkw.pdf (broken link)

Honestly 5 points is not dangerous. Like any city Denver has places more depressed than others. Until very recently 5 points was one of the more depressed east of I-25 areas of Denver, that has changed.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 PM

86,915 posts, read 102,377,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Considering what many of you wrote about Five points I laughed when I read the description on this page...

| Live Downtown Denver | Brought To You By The Downtown Denver Partnership | Neighborhoods | Five Points |
I believe the term "rose colored glasses" applies. It's all true enough, just a little overly rosy.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 23,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
tfox,
Thanks for a great breakdown of the neighborhoods. I am liking the looks of some of the high rise lofts in Central Downtown and Chessman Park area. I have heard that the Five Points area has allot of gang activity. I havn't looked into Curtis Park yet but I am going to. Thanks again for the great info !!
Kat
Hi Kat, I am also relocating to Denver. WF - 25. Can you point me in the direction of the high rise lofts. Names of complexes would be great. Thanks,

Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,133,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisherkeller View Post
Hi Kat, I am also relocating to Denver. WF - 25. Can you point me in the direction of the high rise lofts. Names of complexes would be great. Thanks,
Hello...
I found many loft style places (high rise and not) on Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online. . If you check "loft layouts" it will pull up just the lofts. I am also having good luck with craiglist. Good luck !

Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM

380 posts, read 1,133,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisherkeller View Post
Hi again,
I just stumbled on a couple lofts downtown that look really good to me. Check out Uptown Village on East 17th Ave and Midland Lofts on 17th St, (man, it's confusing when they do that!) looks like they are both close to the 16th Street Mall. I found them at Denver Central Downtown Apartment Search Results - Denver Central Downtown Apartments for Rent by ApartmentCities.com

Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 PM

13 posts, read 56,842 times
I would avoid the area north of 26th, east of Downing. Bad neighborhood, very run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver