Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:11 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Robert, thank you, I recall the baggage system and hearing of its wizardry in the media. We flew into DIA in 1995, IIRC that was shortly after the airport opened. UAL or the system lost our bags, for a while. By the time we drove down to Durango (via the scenic route, not I-25) and checked into the hotel, UAL had flown them down to that airport and sent them over in a taxi. I've used DIA a few times per year since 2005 and never had another problem.

China is the best example of the full scale build-out you mentioned, they have entire new cities built and no one living in them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 12:14 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
My biggest gripe about DIA is that they didn't build pedestrian tunnels next to the trains like they did in Atlanta, which is designed very similar to DIA in its layout. I would walk from B to the main terminal if I could most days.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:28 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
My biggest gripe is the drive out there, but other than that I love DIA. I love that I can park on either side and get into the same terminal, this opens up parking unlike any other airport I have seen. As a tourist this has to be one of easiest airports to navigate...all trains lead to terminal in a simple abc route.

You could not design a DIA scale airport at Stapleton.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:34 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
My biggest gripe about DIA is that they didn't build pedestrian tunnels next to the trains like they did in Atlanta, which is designed very similar to DIA in its layout. I would walk from B to the main terminal if I could most days.
I notice that in Atlanta... same sort of layout as DIA (well, DIA came second), but you could walk all the way if you wanted. DIA is like ATL done well.... nicer looking and not cramped!

Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
LOL I landed at ATL several years ago at about 1am and the train broke so I had to walk the whole way. Sucked, but there are times at DIA I wish I could walk.

That said as a frequent business traveler, I was never here when Stapleton was here, but I wish DIA was closer.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:57 PM

769 posts, read 830,083 times
It's too far out from the city. It's a good airport other than the fact that it's so damn far from town... oh, and all the illuminati stuff

Old 11-30-2015, 01:59 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
Two large parking facilities are located north of Pena off Tower. Both are ancillary businesses directly connected to the airport. As are the hotels just south of Pena, and access into the city from the northernmost hotels would be more efficient from Pena (a nice freeway rather than dark two lane roads with zero signage, and misleveled drains on the right lane of Tower causing jarring bumps.)

While it's not a major crisis facing the city, the lack of that on ramp has been an inconvenience to me, and I'm sure it is to others.
Yes, they are connected to the airport. Thats why there are ramps there, to get on eastbound Pena Blvd. to the airport.

What inconvenience is it to you? The inconvenience of having to drive an extra mile to 56th Ave. and getting on there?

Old 11-30-2015, 01:59 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
OK, time to bring this back to light: The DIA Conspiracy Files

Old 11-30-2015, 02:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Robert, thank you, I recall the baggage system and hearing of its wizardry in the media. We flew into DIA in 1995, IIRC that was shortly after the airport opened. UAL or the system lost our bags, for a while. By the time we drove down to Durango (via the scenic route, not I-25) and checked into the hotel, UAL had flown them down to that airport and sent them over in a taxi. I've used DIA a few times per year since 2005 and never had another problem.
Does anybody know what the current status of the baggage system is now at DIA? With the technology we have now, it should be easy to make a baggage system like that work. Hell, a lot of hotels in Asia are now using robots just to transfer people’s luggage to their rooms for them. Hospitals over there are using robots to transfer medical records and supplies around hospital buildings. Compared to that, a robotic baggage system for an airport would be simple.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:31 PM

473 posts, read 849,131 times
Quote:
Yes, they are connected to the airport. Thats why there are ramps there, to get on eastbound Pena Blvd. to the airport.
And at some point the people using that route return home.

Quote:
What inconvenience is it to you? The inconvenience of having to drive an extra mile to 56th Ave. and getting on there?
Three, but relax -everyone can quantify the subjective nature of being "inconvenienced" differently. And I already said it's not a pressing infrastructure concern.

However, since it came up in the discussion, an on ramp that would be relatively inexpensive to construct, and is lacking only due to politics, would be a nice resource to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver