Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 5,752 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Denver area from North Texas. We would prefer to build a home in the South Denver area. Hubby will probably be working in the Denver Tech area. We LOVE BackCountry in Highlands Ranch but prices are getting out of control. Any recommendations for a similar neighborhood on the south side of Denver?

Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
There really is no comparison to any neighborhood in Colorado. Tell us what you are hoping to find in a new community & the posters will have some comments. Where else might hubby work?

There is also no point to comparing new home prices in Colorado to Texas. It will just give you heartburn. Prices are what they are because buyers are willing to pay that.

Full disclosure: I am a resident of Highlands Ranch and I am a Real Estate Broker.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
We moved (back) here from DFW in 2011. As 2bindenver said, there really isn't a comparison between the two markets. On the bright side, you'll pay more but property taxes and homeowner's insurance will be considerably less than TX.

You might want to check out some of the neighborhoods in Castle Rock. It's about 15-20 miles south of the DTC.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Definitely no comparison to Texas. Prices were a bit of a shock in BackCountry, but we have been watching the market and were expecting them to be higher.

Not sure where else hubby might find a job. He is a CCIE with tons of experience and not sure where the best jobs will be. I am assuming the Tech Center will have the highest volume of high quality employers for his field but am not sure. Any other places to concentrate a job search in the area?

As far as the neighborhood, our first priority would be excellent schools. We have seen all of the studies showing how excellent Douglas County Schools are as a whole compared to other districts in the state and across the nation. We would love to have access to hiking/biking trails and other open space within the community. Neighborhood parks are a definite plus with young kids. A nice yard with room to play would be a plus. The yards in BackCountry are a little on the small side but would be acceptable - especially if there were parks/open space within the neighborhood.

As far as the home itself, we would like 3 bedrooms, 3+ baths, study, & formal dining in about 2800-3200 sq. ft. Our max budget is about $575k. We love the finish out in the Toll Brother's homes in some of the Denver suburbs. The Toll homes in BackCountry seemed to have fewer upgrades included but in Parker & Aurora, they were much nicer for a lower price.

What can you recommend?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover698 View Post
Definitely no comparison to Texas. Prices were a bit of a shock in BackCountry, but we have been watching the market and were expecting them to be higher.

Not sure where else hubby might find a job. He is a CCIE with tons of experience and not sure where the best jobs will be. I am assuming the Tech Center will have the highest volume of high quality employers for his field but am not sure. Any other places to concentrate a job search in the area?

As far as the neighborhood, our first priority would be excellent schools. We have seen all of the studies showing how excellent Douglas County Schools are as a whole compared to other districts in the state and across the nation. We would love to have access to hiking/biking trails and other open space within the community. Neighborhood parks are a definite plus with young kids. A nice yard with room to play would be a plus. The yards in BackCountry are a little on the small side but would be acceptable - especially if there were parks/open space within the neighborhood.

As far as the home itself, we would like 3 bedrooms, 3+ baths, study, & formal dining in about 2800-3200 sq. ft. Our max budget is about $575k. We love the finish out in the Toll Brother's homes in some of the Denver suburbs. The Toll homes in BackCountry seemed to have fewer upgrades included but in Parker & Aurora, they were much nicer for a lower price.

What can you recommend?
Check out Terrain and Morningview at the Meadows in Castle Rock. Terrain is on the east side, Morningview the west side. We considered both but I'm pretty firm on our price range (400k) and they're out of it.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:41 AM

39 posts, read 72,013 times
There is a new development called Sterling Ranch that is scheduled to open soon. It has been delayed a few times but should be available in the next 12 months. It is about 15 minutes from BackCountry and I believe that it will have a similar feel.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knail View Post
There is a new development called Sterling Ranch that is scheduled to open soon. It has been delayed a few times but should be available in the next 12 months. It is about 15 minutes from BackCountry and I believe that it will have a similar feel.
The biggest reason for the delay was insufficient water.

I do not think they would be similar. There are no schools, no shopping nearby, and maybe no parks until they have been building for awhile.

Backcountry has open space, trails, rec center, nearby schools, gated community.

Since the big collapse of housing in 2006, not a lot of new communities began construction. Still lots of new construction in Castle Rock, Parker, Meridan, Lone Tree, south Aurora.

There are about 30 on the market, in those areas, less than 5 years old. The biggest ? is where is work and what is tolerable for a commute. The average in the Denver Metro area is 22 minutes. That can translate to 10-15 miles.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM

Thanks for your responses. We have requested more information on Sterling Ranch to see what they offer.

2bindenver: My hubby's 15 mile commute can take around an hour so 22 minutes would be NICE!

Old 06-15-2013, 02:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,875,954 times
South Aurora and Parker choices probably would be fine as long as you don't mind forking out the money for the toll road. You'll save quite a bit over Back Country prices.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
South Aurora and Parker choices probably would be fine as long as you don't mind forking out the money for the toll road. You'll save quite a bit over Back Country prices.
I can make it from my house to my job in the DTC in 30 mins most days without using the toll road. Arapahoe is an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver