U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 09:50 AM

20 posts, read 19,319 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who lives in Denver please tell me a bit about the Valverde neighborhood, on the west side of I-25 bounded by 6th and Alameda? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 AM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Denver-CO.html

Poor. Hispanic.

Denver, Colorado Crime Map and Crime Statistics

Not likely to gentrify anytime soon.
The entire eastern half is industrial and the western boundary is a crappy part of Federal Blvd.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:55 PM

568 posts, read 1,044,811 times
Dim sum, taquerias, and Columbine Steak House! Don't know a ton about the neighborhood other than good eats nearby. South of Alameda is Athmar Park Neighborhood, which has some nice brick homes at good prices.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:30 PM

930 posts, read 534,830 times
There's not much going on there now, but I could potentially see it blossoming in the next 5-10 years. It's eastern neighbor, Baker, is a pretty hot place right now, so once that area becomes unattainable for the average folk, I could see some of that demand expanding to the Valverde neighborhood. The bright side of it right now is that it's one of the few affordable neighborhoods still relatively close to downtown. I know one of the southern neighboring neighborhoods, Ruby Hill, was listed as an up and coming neighborhood.

There is a pretty diverse selection of ethnic restaurants and shops that run along Federal Blvd. Otherwise, that's about all it has to offer at this point in time.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:14 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,987,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Dim sum, taquerias, and Columbine Steak House! Don't know a ton about the neighborhood other than good eats nearby. South of Alameda is Athmar Park Neighborhood, which has some nice brick homes at good prices.
I recently had to go to the Dept of Motor Vehicles just south at Mississippi and Tejon, and decided to explore a bit. I walked around Huston Lake park - it was lovely, friendly, quiet - the surrounding homes, as Augie said, nice old homes. I felt comfortable - friendly people out and about in the neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM

20 posts, read 19,319 times
Thanks, all!

Old 12-02-2015, 04:17 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default Athmar Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
I walked around Huston Lake park - it was lovely, friendly, quiet - the surrounding homes, as Augie said, nice old homes. I felt comfortable - friendly people out and about in the neighborhood.
Not Valverde, but Athmar Park.

Athmar Park does not the industrial space that Valverde has.
Athmar Park - The Best Little Known Neighborhood in Denver
Athmar Park Neighborhood Association - Athmar Park
Change on Horizon for Athmar Park
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Denver-CO.html

Old 12-03-2015, 09:09 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
This is a very difficult neighborhood with the industrial area on the east to think that it will gentrify from the influence of the contiguous neighborhood of Baker.

I have often been to the neighborhood in the past because King Soopers warehouse and buying office is located here.

Over the years I have enjoyed visiting the many Asian shops and restaurants nearby off Federal and Alameda. I especially enjoy the Pacific Ocean Market in Athmar on Alameda just to the South
Asian Market | Specialty Grocery | Pacific Ocean Marketplace This is the original market with now being one in Broomfield and Aurora. I highly recommend this Asian market and also the many at the Federal and Alameda.
This area can be characterized our "China Town" but is more Vietnamese and Laotian.

I think the greater influence that will change this neighborhood for the better will be the growing Asian area to the west and southwest.

Mr. Barnes description is correct but his idea of crappy on this part of Federal is my idea of interesting finds among the detritus and patina of time to be explored. My New Yorker in me finds ubiquitous squeaky sterility too boringly unappealing.

He is correct to identify the parks cited as in the Athmar neighborhood. The parks in these areas are surprisingly very nice. I remember first exploring Denver and coming on these lake parks which are not as well know but just as inviting.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-03-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or