U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:13 PM

106 posts, read 330,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If you are talking Adams county Colorado, you are confusing assessed value of the structure for tax bill. The bill on a property of that value would be under $1,000 a year.
I was using the values from a Denver Post article that used the Median Property Tax and Median Home price to determine effective tax rate by County in Colorado.
Property taxes lower than most states, but how's the money spent? - The Denver Post

Katarina: Here is an interesting website that has a tax value index that looks at property taxes by County and takes into account school rankings, crime rates and property tax paid per capita. In the Minneapolis area there is a County at 16 nationally, but also at 395.
https://smartasset.com/infographic/tax-value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 04:57 PM

86,915 posts, read 102,388,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
I was using the values from a Denver Post article that used the Median Property Tax and Median Home price to determine effective tax rate by County in Colorado.
Property taxes lower than most states, but how's the money spent? - The Denver Post

Katarina: Here is an interesting website that has a tax value index that looks at property taxes by County and takes into account school rankings, crime rates and property tax paid per capita. In the Minneapolis area there is a County at 16 nationally, but also at 395.
https://smartasset.com/infographic/tax-value
That is interesting, but they give the property tax as per capita rather than per assessed valuation, a tricky way to finagle statistics. Nevertheless, for Denver, property tax per capital is $596; for Minneapolis, $1074, about twice as much. They only have a listing for a "St. Paul Park", not the city of St. Paul itself, so I didn't do a comparison. I did put in my daughter's zip code in St. Paul, and got $800. She does live in a sort of "lower rent" area. I mean, the rent's not low, but lower than other places around there.

Whoa: Just noticed they put Denver in Arapahoe County! Not too reliable a source, sorry.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:36 PM

106 posts, read 330,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is interesting, but they give the property tax as per capita rather than per assessed valuation, a tricky way to finagle statistics. Nevertheless, for Denver, property tax per capital is $596; for Minneapolis, $1074, about twice as much. They only have a listing for a "St. Paul Park", not the city of St. Paul itself, so I didn't do a comparison. I did put in my daughter's zip code in St. Paul, and got $800. She does live in a sort of "lower rent" area. I mean, the rent's not low, but lower than other places around there.

Whoa: Just noticed they put Denver in Arapahoe County! Not too reliable a source, sorry.
The comparison is by County to County and they also include a property tax rate (%), which is a better way to compare because it helps differentiate between counties were homes cost quite a bit more.

Im not saying it is 100% reliable, but Id say you are a little quick to completely disregard this. Denver is not even included in the search. The methodology excluded Counties they were not able to obtain enough data. Did you search by a Zip Code? That zip code may have a portion within a neighboring City & County. Also the way a lot of searches like this work is with USPS City Name, which can differ from the actual city proper.

My whole intent was to show how taxes can vary quite a bit even within a metro area and show a methodology that looks at ranking the value of property taxes.

PROPERTY TAX RATE PER CAPITA (by County)

Douglas County, CO - $898 [0.8%]
Jefferson County, CO - $721 [0.7%]
Adams County, CO - $543 [0.9%]

Hennepin County, MN - 1,074 [Tax Rate 1.2%] (Probably highest in MN)
Dakota County, MN - $865 [Tax Rate 1.1%]
Winona County, MN - $450 [Tax Rate 1.0%] (Rural Area with inexpensive Homes)

I did not intent to hijack the discussion on this, so Ill leave at this. I hope others find this site useful to have data to help research potential new cities or even looking at homes in different areas of a metro area.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:20 AM

254 posts, read 428,826 times
I'm another MN to CO transplant. It is much, much sunnier in Denver in the winter than in MN. Yes, it gets cold here. But the sun shines more than in MN, even on the cold days. Denver can get a lot of snow, but snow from last week is gone. If it snowed in Mpls last week, that snow will likely be on the ground until March or April.

Today's high temp is supposed to be 70 degrees. Is that typical? No. Is it unheard of - no. We occasionally have days with temps in the 50s, 60s, and 70s in the winter, so winter seems much less severe here than in MN. Plus, it is much less humid here than in MN, so the cold feels different - CO cold is not that bone chilling damp cold that you experience in MN. The trade off is that I use a lot of chapstick. I really like winter here compared to MN but as you can tell from this thread, everyone has an opinion. :-)

My biggest complaint about Denver is that many people do not know how to drive in snow or rain here. I think MN drivers are much better drivers in the winter, so be prepared to adjust your winter driving here to account for those people (and there are a lot of them...) with no winter driving skills.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:04 AM

214 posts, read 235,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
But you will pay close to $750/month in taxes for a $500,000 house. Here, it's about $200. That amps the payment up quite a bit. We were just in Mpls/St. Paul a month or so ago, and we checked that out.
That isn't completely accurate. The property taxes in the TC Metro typically are around 2% of the home value.

Denver home prices have gone up significantly which is why updated cost of living calculators now reflect Denver's now higher cost of living.

That isn't to say that it's not worth it.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:14 AM

214 posts, read 235,702 times
I lived in Denver before moving to Minneapolis and would say the Denver winters are better if you like milder temps.

Minneapolis has more sunny days than Chicago and other Great Lake cities during winter it is also colder but a dry cold. Denver has good strong sun that feels nice and melts off the snow.

I have seen all types of winters in Minnesota. This year has been very much like a Denver style winter. The big difference is the average highs for January run +20 in Denver compared to Minneapolis.

While Minneapolis doesn't experience horribly humid and muggy summers like the southern Midwest or Southeast you will have heat waves that bring up high dew points. Denver doesn't have that. Denver has nice dry and arid Summer weather.

Denver may have a higher cost of living but it isn't that noticeable compared to Minneapolis as a whole.

Both have really good economies for college educated individuals.

I would rather live in Denver but my wife really likes her career here and we bought our house at the perfect time so that is a hard argument for me to win right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or