U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 38,467 times

Advertisements

My Husband & I are planning on moving to the downtown Denver area this July. We have made one trip out to the area to scout it out, and really liked the feel. We are originally from So. Cal., so we know that this will be a huge change. We are wanting to move to the LoDo area or the business district. My husband will be working downtown and I will be attending school. I am wondering what the feel of the downtown area is. Is it safe? Are the people friendly? Is it easy to get to the grocery store, or where ever else i may need to go? Are there area's that i want to avoid? I know that CO. is know for it's outdoors activities, how easy is it to get to the mountains? I know i have asked a lot of different questions. Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,817,106 times
I'm from SoCal too. Denver feels safe to me. Hardly any graffiti compared to SoCal. Are people friendly? Hard to measure. People are people. But it is easier to drive around simply because there is less traffic.

Other than occasional icy roads and lack of 365 outdoor swimming, there is little about Colorado I don't like compared to SoCal.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,632 times
Wow... downtown or more like parts of it can be very expensive in the safe part of town. I love Colorado. I live on the west side of town and to mountain bike it takes about twenty minutes to a trailhead. There lots of ways to get to downtown now without getting in a car. Personally, I would pick a place that is close to the lightrail and ride it in. It seems it takes longer to park and navigate the LoDo area than getting there. People are friendly, I find where ever I live. I think it just depends on how you smile.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,955 times
What is your price range as LoDo is a very hot and expensive area right now? Any city and any neighborhood has it's risk with crime, but I think it is safe. LoDo has had trouble once the nightclub close and all the kids are on the street, alpha males punching it out, but otherwise it is safe. There are currently no grocery stores in downtown and LoDo, the closest is at 13th and Speer, King Soopers or Safeway at Park Avenue and about 23rd. I would recommend the Highlands or Capitol Hill as there are walking distance to downtown and have parking and grocery stores. A co-worker just moved out here from San Diego and got a great deal on him home there and bought in Stapelton here. If you are wealthy, consider the Spire, 1401 Lawrence or the Four Seasons as these are the new high end residential going in downtown. Also just completed is One Lincoln Park. The more you define your needs the more we can help. Best wishes!

Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 PM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
There is tons of information on LoDo and other city neighborhoods, which Mike, our mod, just indexed. Lots of neat pictures, too. Denver really isn't all that huge. If you want to walk/take public transportation, you could live just about anywhere in town, or even the close-in burbs. Where will you be going to school?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:24 PM

First off, thank you so much for your speedy advice. While visiting denver we looked at the Glenarm high rises and really liked them. We are looking for a 1bd/1bth if possible a den and our price range is no more that 1,800. I will be attending the Denver Community College and my husband will be going to either University of Denver or Colorado state for a masters degree. I have never used public transportation before, is it safe? Also, we really didnt get the chance to get to LoDo to get a real feel for it. I have noticed that there are alot of condo's for sale down there, by chance are do you know if private residence rent them out? Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM

Public transportation is safe and good. Are you aware that Colorado State U is in Ft. Collins, about 65 miles from downtown Denver?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Well I must be mistaken, by what the name of the school is. My husband told me it is the one that is in Denver.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:45 PM

There is the University of Denver and the University of Colorado at Denver that offer master's degrees.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 PM

It is the University of Colorado at Denver or the University of Denver. Sorry for any confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or