Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:40 AM

46 posts, read 40,609 times

Advertisements

Hey all, Im a long time fan of Colorado and the mountains..and Im thinking of finally making the plunge.

I am inbetween jobs and thinking about making the trip toward the end of winter/beginning of spring.

Ive sold off a lot of my things, Its literally just my dog and my clothes and some personal belongings that have no problem fitting in my car.

I have driven across country before so thats no issue, however I was staying with a friend..this time I need to figure out a living situation and a job.

Ill figure to have about 10k for the move...And looking for a job ASAP obviously, no matter what it is.

Having a pet who I am absolutely not willing to part with under any circumstances is definitely one of the harder parts of finding a living situation..

Does anyone know of any places there that will allow you to rent without immediate employment? Perhaps somewhere that requires 8x the rent? I dont necessarily need to live downtown, it can be a suburb of the area such as Lakewood. Preferably looking for rent no more than $900/month.

Any advice and thoughts? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:56 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
What kind of job are you looking for?

Honestly, initially I would do whatever I had to.

But i have done things from office work to warehouse work.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:47 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
What is the breed of your dog?

Old 12-09-2015, 11:02 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
I've been a fan of the state for years myself, with countless family vacations spanning decades and time visiting friends. Living here though is a completely different story; like day and night. I don't even recognize the state from the vacations vs. day-to-day living and trying earn enough money / meet budget / thrive in promising job.

Really, you have to get out of vacation mode, seriously and deeply think of the differences from where you are compared to here, have lots of safety money before such a move (probably much more than you are imagining), research and compare cost of living like you're OCD, and ideally have a job in place before going anywhere. By the way, "getting a job" isn't just simplistically checking a box. You might find a job, but if it can't fully pay all of your bills, how can you make it last? Just like a company always operating in the red, the end will eventually come. Expect lots of potential competition too, since everyone in the world wants to move here and make it work.

Research, think, research, reflect, repeat.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 12-09-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 11:38 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
^good point about differences in looking at a vacation destination vs. the actual day to day living in a place.

You have said as others often say I am fan of Colorado and the mountains but I would keep in mind:

Colorado is NOT all about or mostly about the mountains. Most people live, work and recreate on the plains. Denver and all the major cities are on the plains. Most of the economy, by far, is generated on the plains.

The mountains are there for your enjoyment but for most it is not going to give you employment and housing which has to be your main thought in moving to Colorado.

Unfortunately your budget for renting is too low for this unbelievable shortage of housing and with many streaming into this state. Without a good education and specific job skills, competition for a good job is fierce.

I would also ask what is wrong with New York and why do you consider Colorado as a better place to live. Just to Note: New York does have mountains!

Livecontent
ex New Yorker

Last edited by livecontent; 12-09-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What is the breed of your dog?
Hes a Shiba Inu, an apartment friendly breed.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
^good point about differences in looking at a vacation destination vs. the actual day to day living in a place.

You have said as others often say I am fan of Colorado and the mountains but I would keep in mind:

Colorado is NOT all about or mostly about the mountains. Most people live, work and recreate on the plains. Denver and all the major cities are on the plains. Most of the economy, by far, is generated on the plains.

The mountains are there for your enjoyment but for most it is not going to give you employment and housing which has to be your main thought in moving to Colorado.

Unfortunately your budget for renting is too low for this unbelievable shortage of housing and with many streaming into this state. Without a good education and specific job skills competition for a good job is fierce.

I would also ask what is wrong with New York and why do you consider Colorado as a better place to live. Just to Note: New York does have mountains!

Livecontent
ex New Yorker
All good things to note from you guys... I am definitely an outdoors fan and thats another reason Id like to make the move.

I knew it would be difficult any way I look at it, not having the ideal amount of money one would like to in this scenario.

New York is alright, and the Hudson Valley is far from the worst place to live. I just desire a fresh new city to start life in, and yes unfortunately everyone is moving there..

Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Unfortunately, with the hot rental market right now, $900 a month isn't going to get much beyond a studio in a run-down area. The Front Range, meaning Ft. Collins, Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo, is where most of the jobs are and thus where most of the people are moving to. So, competition for both jobs and for decent rentals.

Landlords can be very choosy. Having a dog will be a major detriment for you. Even with a hefty pet deposit, most landlords are going to rent to someone without animals. Add on to that the fact that you may want to find something to rent without having a job, and you probably will lose out.

Perhaps you could come without the dog and just stay at a weekly rental until you find work. Then at least you'd have a job to put on your rental application.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Unfortunately, with the hot rental market right now, $900 a month isn't going to get much beyond a studio in a run-down area. The Front Range, meaning Ft. Collins, Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo, is where most of the jobs are and thus where most of the people are moving to. So, competition for both jobs and for decent rentals.

Landlords can be very choosy. Having a dog will be a major detriment for you. Even with a hefty pet deposit, most landlords are going to rent to someone without animals. Add on to that the fact that you may want to find something to rent without having a job, and you probably will lose out.

Perhaps you could come without the dog and just stay at a weekly rental until you find work. Then at least you'd have a job to put on your rental application.
Very good points..I knew it would be tough to begin with, but all these facts and issues definitely make me think twice about the move.

Im normally a risk taking optimist but I cant lose everything in one shot, trying to make a life somewhere else..

So ill almost assuredly need a job or a place before going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver