Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 05:03 PM

10 posts, read 14,295 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to the Denver area this summer. I have 3 kids 16,14 and 12 who are dual citizens but have lived most of their life in the Uk and visited the US once/twice a year and a wife that is American.

We are looking to live in an area that has access to the mountains and skiing. Also we are looking for an area that has a nice downtown or central community feel rather than a sprawling are with no real centre. We like things to do and restaurants, pubs (I guess it would be microbreweries) and activity but we also like a bit of space around us rather than living in the centre of a downtown.

Schooling is very important. House wise we will buy at $500-600 (thank you crazy property prices in the UK!).
I'm hearing Boulder but propertywise probably won't get a 4 bed,Lakewood (might be a bit sprawling??), Littleton, Fort Collins, Loveland. Louisville (might be a bit sleepy??)

Im planning on coming to of r a week with my wife but would like some ideas. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 08:04 PM

403 posts, read 759,631 times
After reading what you are looking for, I would suggest Evergreen. It's a town that sits about 30-40 west of downtown Denver on the way to many ski areas such as Loveland, Copper, Winter Park, Breckenridge, A-Basin, and Keystone. Besides skiing, there are tons of hiking, biking, open space trails throughout Evergreen. The public schools are very highly rated academically. Your housing budget would easily get you a 4 bedroom home. There's a quaint downtown area with galleries, restaurants, and boutiques along with a nice lake that was recently rated one of the ten most beautiful outdoor skating rinks in the United States.

There's a variety of restaurants/bars and a few new breweries (Revival Brews, Lariat Lodge Brewing Co., and the brand new El Rancho Brewing Co.). All of your everyday amenities are located in Evergreen and the lot sizes will be larger than the Denver suburbs "down the hill".

Your budget in Boulder won't get you all that far. Your money will go further in the other cities that you mentioned, but they will feel more suburban and the homes will be closer together. Let me know if you have any other questions. The foothills west of Denver are a beautiful, easily accessible place to live.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-09-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 08:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Where is work? That will make a great difference. You don't want to be a long drive from work in the winter, or any time really.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-09-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 09:22 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
An offer to buy someone lunch = solicitation? I think not.

A "town" depending on where you find the definition is "bigger than a village and smaller than a city". Thanks for the legal advice. I am married to an attorney.

To the OP: More specifically, Evergreen is a community which is part of Unincorporated Jefferson County. I can only determine from the many posts on C-D that discuss Evergreen where there is insane negativity about the wonderful mountain community that it is, is merely because those folks are insanely jealous of the 20,000+ residents that call Evergreen "home". The residents of Evergreen are highly educated individuals that have more to do with their lives than have 5,000-73,000+ posts on this forum. It was just a simple suggestion for you to check it out when you are in the area!
There is nothing on this forum that I have seen that indicates that posters are jealous of residents of Evergreen--that is nonsense. The only issue that I can remember is that some, including myself, sometimes question the commute in bad weather to Denver.

Personally, i think Evergreen area is a wonderful and great place. I have spend much time there exploring the open space in and around the area. I have visited my friends and done much work in wonderful homes of these educated and wealthy residents--I enjoyed dealing with them. Also years ago, I found ice skating on the lake as a magical experience. I highly recommend Evergreen as a very nice place to live.

I care not if you are married to an attorney.

A town in many states is a legal description of an incorporated governing entity. Saying that Evergreen is town when it just an unincorporated area should not be done by a real estate agent. It is what is perceived or assumed by the buyer which may be the issue and not always what you think it means. A buyer needs to know that in an unincorporated area, there are issues of how essential services are provided. In addition there may be tax issues in the present or future.

Why cause a misunderstanding that may lead to future problems (note that this is a conditional statement with "may", not an assured problem). I would prefer newcomers just to know. This issue also applies to Highlands Ranch which is also unincorporated in Douglas County.

Relax--no one is attacking Evergreen or its residents. Also, I am not attacking your profession which I value.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-09-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 09:26 PM

82 posts, read 88,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Where is work? That will make a great difference. You don't want to be a long drive from work in the winter, or any time really.
I hear this a lot about Denver, especially since moving here. It would be difficult if not just unreasonable to commute to a job in the eastern part of the city if you're in the foothills.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 PM

40 posts, read 88,825 times
Evergreen is a great suggestion depending on where work is. There is quite an int'l community up here. My neighbors on one side and also across from us are from the UK. I can think of at least five other families in my neighborhood, let alone all the others on my kids sports teams!

Come visit, you won't want to settle anywhere else. Take it from someone who made the mistake of purchasing in Douglas County first...

Old 12-09-2015, 10:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

A town in many states is a legal description of an incorporated governing entity.

Livecontent
Yes, including Colorado. e.g. Town of Erie, Town of Superior, etc.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:12 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarnold1 View Post
We are looking to move to the Denver area this summer. I have 3 kids 16,14 and 12 who are dual citizens but have lived most of their life in the Uk and visited the US once/twice a year and a wife that is American.

We are looking to live in an area that has access to the mountains and skiing. Also we are looking for an area that has a nice downtown or central community feel rather than a sprawling are with no real centre. We like things to do and restaurants, pubs (I guess it would be microbreweries) and activity but we also like a bit of space around us rather than living in the centre of a downtown.

Schooling is very important. House wise we will buy at $500-600 (thank you crazy property prices in the UK!).
I'm hearing Boulder but propertywise probably won't get a 4 bed,Lakewood (might be a bit sprawling??), Littleton, Fort Collins, Loveland. Louisville (might be a bit sleepy??)

Im planning on coming to of r a week with my wife but would like some ideas. Thanks in advance
Golden, Littleton, or Louisville. Loveland will probably be very sleepy. Same with Evergreen. Denver neighborhoods like Berkeley, Wash Park, or Park Hill could be great.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:20 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Golden was the first place to jump into my mind.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 14,295 times
Hi, thanks for the replies. Initially I will work from home but will need to be close to other businesses for building up a client base, therefore I am quite flexible but probably need to be within an hour drive of Denver itself.

Evergreen sounds good and I will check it out when I come to visit. I have also heard from others that Golden is a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver