Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,834 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been considering relocating to Denver from Dallas and I'm starting to get some traction on my resume. Does anyone have any recent experience in making this move? If so can you provide some idea of the cost of the move? We would hire movers rather than moving ourselves most likely if the company doesn't provide relocation assistance. I'd get a quote but it's a little premature and the last time I did that when it looked like there was a potential move to Seattle in our future I was inundated with calls and emails from moving companies. I'm just looking for some preliminary info if I can get it so I can loosely start preparing. If it helps we live in a 3 bedroom house now.

TIA for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 09:38 PM

25 posts, read 32,884 times
We moved from Houston to the Denver area in the fall of 2014 so the cost may be a bit stale. We paid $8,500 for move. We were moving a 3,000 sq ft house with a shipping weight of 12,500 lb. Price included packing material and we did about 80% of the packing ourselves.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:24 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunner View Post
We moved from Houston to the Denver area in the fall of 2014 so the cost may be a bit stale. We paid $8,500 for move. We were moving a 3,000 sq ft house with a shipping weight of 12,500 lb. Price included packing material and we did about 80% of the packing ourselves.

Hope this helps.
A good rule of thumb is to assume $1 in costs for every 1 lb of household goods. A cost of $8,500 for 12,500 lbs is a very good price, I am guessing it was low due to the fact that you did the vast majority of your packing.

OP, for a 3 bedroom house, I think you should estimate $,10,000-12,000, but as Bunner points out above, you can save money doing your own packing.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 9,834 times
Thank you! Bunner - not sue if you'll see this, but how are you liking Colorado thus far?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 PM

31 posts, read 36,541 times
We recently relocated from the San Jose/Silicon Valley area to Westminster, the cost to move just the furniture was a bit under $4k. Total weight was roughly 5,600 lbs, and we did our own packing.

We were going from a 1400 sq. ft. 3 bedroom SFH to a 2 bed/2 bath apartment, so I had to sell a few large items on Craigslist (patio set, grill, guest bed, sofa, etc.) which explains why the numbers might be on the lower side. Managing all that in the weeks right before Christmas was a bit overwhelming, to say the least!

We did get quotes from about 3 different moving companies and went with the lowest.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 PM

25 posts, read 32,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbingham View Post
Thank you! Bunner - not sue if you'll see this, but how are you liking Colorado thus far?
Love it Pretty much every day I think how fortunate I am to live in such a beautiful place.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:17 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunner View Post
Love it Pretty much every day I think how fortunate I am to live in such a beautiful place.
I second this. I moved from Wichita Falls (where we had been 5 years) to Denver in 2012, and recently moved back to Texas. Came back here due to income opportunity and family considerations.

We loved living in Denver. It has a very high quality of life. Big enough to have everything you need, without the unbearable sprawl of the metroplex or Houston. Plenty of fantastic, walkable historic neighborhoods. Yes, there are periods of several weeks where it is miserable cold, but you can get through those, because the rest of the weather (even in winter, occasionally) is fantastic. No humidity, no bugs etc.

You will love it.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:55 AM

8,600 posts, read 14,808,145 times
We moved back to Denver from DFW a little over 4 years ago. Can't remember how much we paid, but it was worth every penny to not have to endure another summer in that bland, humid hole. I've spent more time outdoors here in the last two years than I did the entire 12 years we were in the Metroplex.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:38 PM

264 posts, read 699,639 times
When we moved to Denver in 2010, we used a Uhaul truck and towed my Disco behind the truck. Wife and kids drove her car. My FIL helped us load up and we used local movers to unload in Denver. Including truck and trailer rental, petrol, food, hotel, etc, I think we specnt roughly $2500. We had to move back a year or so later and it was roughly the same cost. We used movers to load up and then unload that time.

We were considering moving back last summer but that fell through. The costs looked roughly the same but petrol costs might have been less. Not sure what our weight was, but I did haul my toolbox both times and it weighs roughly 1000 lbs fully loaded.

I think you can save a ton doing the work yourself if that's not a problem. I would have loved to have movers haul everything, but ask my parents, that can be its own set of nightmares.

Good luck and you'll enjoy Denver. It's a nice town.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:42 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,011,486 times
I'd go and get five estimates from different movers in your area. The cost won't be the same. It's probably cheaper to move from Denver to Dallas right now. That would be the best way since a lot of changes have happened in the last few years. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver