Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 04:59 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twemh View Post
Mic I think we have decided to live closer to downtown than centeniall but yes nice route would help wherever we go. I work downtown so in consideration of this I would be the one looking to walk, bike to work if at all possible.

She works right off of Broadway and Araphoe Rd.

When I look at a map it looks like it is almost in Littleton, not Centennial. Am I seeing that right?
I think it makes much more sense for you to live in Littleton, close to where your wife works than living downtown. You can easily get to downtown from many points on public transit. Also you will have the free mall shuttles (MallRide and MetroRide) to get you from the entrance transit point to your work. Going the other way, there is less connection from that transit point to your wife's point of employment.

Since you get free bus pass--it makes much sense. Also, you mentioned a yard for the dog and that very common to find in the Littleton/Centennial area with many parks, trails and open space nearby. Downtown housing is more highrise and housing with less yards.

You take the transit downtown and your wife can easily drive to work or take a bus or ride a bike or walk.

Here is the website for our public transit
RTD

Given your wife's location of work, there is many nice neighborhoods in and around this area from Centennial east of Broadway to Littleton west of Broadway. You can easily get to the rail station in Littleton for a quick trip downtown. Also, the bus route 0 on Broadway is a major bus route running often and almost 24 hrs.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 05:18 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I think it makes much more sense for you to live in Littleton, close to where your wife works than living downtown. You can easily get to downtown from many points on public transit. Also you will have the free mall shuttles (MallRide and MetroRide) to get you from the entrance transit point to your work. Going the other way, there is less connection from that transit point to your wife's point of employment.

Since you get free bus pass--it makes much sense. Also, you mentioned a yard for the dog and that very common to find in the Littleton/Centennial area with many parks, trails and open space nearby. Downtown housing is more highrise and housing with less yards.

You take the transit downtown and your wife can easily drive to work or take a bus or ride a bike or walk.

Here is the website for our public transit
RTD

Given your wife's location of work, there is many nice neighborhoods in and around this area from Centennial east of Broadway to Littleton west of Broadway. You can easily get to the rail station in Littleton for a quick trip downtown. Also, the bus route 0 on Broadway is a major bus route running often and almost 24 hrs.

Livecontent
I was thinking the exact same thing. It really isn't that far from Littleton to downtown. Plus since it seems to be your girlfriend's dog it makes sense that she is closer to home. Get on the Mary Greenway Trail, connect up to the South Platte River Trail and you are at work via bike.
Mary Carter Greenway Trail: Littleton to Englewood - Walk Ride Colorado
South Platte River Trail - Walk Ride Colorado
or take the train in. With a free pass from your employer you are gold!
You have both the C and the D line to choose from.
http://www.rtd-denver.com/routemaps/153/r0_101_SW_D.pdf

When you are out check out historic downtown Littleton:
Historic Downtown Littleton - Restaurants - Littleton, CO - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

You may choose a city neighborhood but your condemning your girlfriend to a miserable commute.

Pictures of Mary Carter Greenway Trail:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1536&bih=706
Pictures of South Platte River Trail:

Last edited by mic111; 12-10-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 05:21 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:

Old 12-10-2015, 06:53 PM

34 posts, read 39,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. It really isn't that far from Littleton to downtown. Plus since it seems to be your girlfriend's dog it makes sense that she is closer to home. Get on the Mary Greenway Trail, connect up to the South Platte River Trail and you are at work via bike.
Mary Carter Greenway Trail: Littleton to Englewood - Walk Ride Colorado
South Platte River Trail - Walk Ride Colorado
or take the train in. With a free pass from your employer you are gold!
You have both the C and the D line to choose from.
http://www.rtd-denver.com/routemaps/153/r0_101_SW_D.pdf

When you are out check out historic downtown Littleton:
Historic Downtown Littleton - Restaurants - Littleton, CO - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

You may choose a city neighborhood but your condemning your girlfriend to a miserable commute.

Pictures of Mary Carter Greenway Trail:
Pictures of South Platte River Trail:

Yes, the commute from any downtownish location to Arapahoe and Broadway will be verrrrrrryyy llllllloooonngg. Having said that, I personally would prefer to live in the neighborhoods near City Park, Congress Park or Cheesman Park than in the suburbs. Not sure what I would do if I were in your situation!

Old 12-10-2015, 07:36 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twemh View Post
I work in in Lodo, She works in Centennial.
Live here.
1000 S. Broadway Apartments in Denver

Move after 1 year to a much better place. And, you will not need our advice.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteMinette1 View Post
Yes, the commute from any downtownish location to Arapahoe and Broadway will be verrrrrrryyy llllllloooonngg. Having said that, I personally would prefer to live in the neighborhoods near City Park, Congress Park or Cheesman Park than in the suburbs. Not sure what I would do if I were in your situation!
I suspect you are only talking about a terrible car driving commute and really never consider public transit, so let us see:

The times on the rail to/from Littleton is not long:

The light rail time to travel from the Littleton Station to Union Station is 27 minuter during morning rush hour.

The light rail time to travel from Union Station to the Littleton Station is 28 minutes during evening rush hour.

Getting from the areas you mentioned are a few minutes less by bus, most times from some stops, but not all the time especially in bad weather and/or heavy traffic as a bus has to share travel on the road with a car. The transit times on the rail are consistently the same as the rail is dedicated travel modality.

Of course, one has to add the time to drive, walk, bike or take a feeder bus to the rail station but that can be much easier than driving the whole way to downtown. One also has to add the time it takes to walk or bike to a bus stop. If one lives close enough and plans it well the commute to the rail station or getting to a bus stop is easy and relaxing.

Since I have been on all the rail lines and most of the buses--I can tell you that transit on rail conveyance is much more comfortable than a bus.

Of course one could drive from these areas to downtown but then you have to add in the time to find parking. There is still the changing conditions of traffic and bad weather. One could bike but not very well in bad weather and it has it hazards sharing roads with cars. Let us not forget the boyfriend gets a free transit pass.

Do not get me wrong. I believe strongly in living as close to work. Also, as an ex New Yorker who has lived and worked in Manhattan, I think living in the areas you mentioned as great city living suggestions. However, we are not talking only about one commute--but we have another commute for the girlfriend to consider:

And what will the girlfriend do--she will have a terrible long commute from these areas to Arapahoe and Broadway so that the boyfriend can live downtown? Yes, woman should always submit to the needs of the man.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-10-2015 at 07:56 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 08:18 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Adam -> Eve

Quote:
Yes, woman should always submit to the needs of the man.
This is true.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:43 AM

112 posts, read 168,237 times
baker's not a bad thought, or west wash park. easy to get downtown for you via bus or light rail. the gf can take the bus down broadway to work at arapahoe and broadway (or drive). obv, depends on traffic on weather but it's not that bad of a trip at all. i did it for a year, usually via the bus.

the neighborhood has lots to offer, there are parks nearby plus the cherry creek trail, and it's a central location so it's easy to get to other parts of the area. there's good food in baker, and it's also easy to get downtown, over to pearl street, cap hill, highlands, etc. to check out more of the city.

at $200k plus, i'm sure you could rent a really nice place, maybe even with a yard.

if your goal is to experience all that denver has to offer in the first year of living here, live in a place that shows you what denver has to offer without having to drive every time you want to see it. after a year, you'll know what you really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver