Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 12:04 PM

64 posts, read 81,002 times

Advertisements

LiveContent,
Your bitterness is exhausting. Yes there are wealthier people than us, who cares? That's not the point, just as majority of the nation, yourself more than likely included, is less wealthy than us. If you actually think that you need to reiterate to me, that 'change comes from within,' is asinine. Also, what do you understand or not understand better yet, about what we want? Why are you even concerning yourself with it at this point? Homeschooling in and of itself, is a community. It exists everywhere, even in Denver, even in a place like the Timbers. Our number one focus is the time spent with OUR FAMILY. Our kids, each other and how far our money goes, so that we can enjoy life. How dense are you that you can't comprehend that? Almost $7000 a month on rent? How do you compare that to buying a home we love for well under that for a mortgage per month? Also, did you not read, that we will still be commuting and partially living IN LOS ANGELES. I repeat, we will STILL need to be here for work, part of the year.

We have friends here, that we've had for decades. We will miss them, but we understand that WE WILL MAKE FRIENDS, AND OUR OWN COMMUNITY WHEREVER WE GO. Jesus, man. By your logic, we should just stay here in Cali, b/c every issue we have with not wanting to be here, is in our own minds. What a joke. I see that you literally LIVE on city-data. 10 million reads? or whatever they're called. Thousands upon thousands of posts. I think it's safe to say you live on this thread more than you live in Colorado. Do you actually spend all of your free time, debating people on THEIR personal preferences, on something as fluid as 'where they want to live and why?' Lol. Wow. You've offered nothing of insight, just catty feminine ass judgments, at an elitist attitude that does nothing for me but make me think you're some weird ass lonely man sitting in a studio apartment with no life.

Also, it's not about god damn 'bragging.' What are you, twelve? Who 'brags' about living in Colorado? Who brags about where the hell they live at all? What world do you operate in and what adults do you actually interact with that carry themselves in such a matter? If we wanted to 'brag,' we would just go spend a chunk of our savings, drop $3-7 million on a house in the Palisades, B.Hills or Malibu, or down in white bred orange country, and 'brag' about how uber cool we are to live in said areas. Your comprehension skills are deplorable and your rhetoric exhausting.

Again, I will invite you to dismiss yourself from this thread. I'm not one of these 'city data' people, whatever the hell that means, and I'm not on here trying to waste my breath, and get arthritis in my fingers from arguing with some nobody in internet land about what I should want, what I should do, how I should do it, or shouldn't do it, based off of YOUR likes/dislikes and perceptions. Others have provided me with invaluable advice and offered great insight, you on the other hand, have done nothing but pester, annoy and act like a bitchy middle school girl. Wasting your breath, time and energy on something that ultimately, has ZERO effect on you and your life. Here's my advice: GET OFF OF CITY DATA, get into the real world, put more energy on YOUR life, instead of making your everyday existence about commenting on other people's.

Don't reply. Don't be feminine and insist on having the 'last word.' It's pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the reply! We've actually spent a total of about 2.5 weeks out there, between 2 different trips. We hadn't considered Boulder, I'm not sure why. What are your reasons for recommending that area?

Again, I will clarify. We have friends/friendships here that span 10-20 yrs. Our daughter is actively involved in a multitude of things. We make the best of wherever we go, and have no issue making friends or meeting new people. Part of our time (Oct-March) will still be spent in LA, part of our time, we spend in our place in Jamaica. What we can't change with our 'attitude' or 'approach', unfortunately, is the insane cost of living, the issues the state has as a whole, nor the mentality of the general population.

I'd suggest for ppl to read up on LA. It's not NYC, Miami, Chicago, it's unlike any place in this country and very unique, b/c this is THE place people come to live out their dreams. With that reality, comes an undeniably negative aura that permeates the city, b.c lets face it, the cold harsh truth is, 90% of the ppl here have never, will never, reach even a quarter of their goals in this business. (which is why most ppl relocate here.) In SAG/AFTRA, only a mere 2% or so even qualify for health care, b/c they actually make enough money in their field to do so.

Unless you've lived here, you can't really understand what I'm describing. It's a sad state of affairs and it has nothing to do with our 'perception,' and everything to do with reality. OUR perception, is of success. We aren't brad pitt and angelina jolie, but my husband has been a successful, working actor for his entire adult life 24+ years, never not having a series regular gig on tv. (which unless you're A list, we know that's where the money really is, vs film, hence why we're seeing a plethora of film stars making the job to TV for the security it brings.) I've sold scripts, and have had moderate success in my short time as well, this is not the average experience for people here. Trust me. Most ppl don't know how they're going to pay the rent, are dealing with severe depression, anxiety, fear, etc, based off of the constant 'not knowing' of what the future, or even tomorrow brings. Yes there are very successful people here, much more than us, but they are the 1% you see on TV, and even they are miserable. I dated an A+ list actor about 8 years ago, he is worth $400+million dollars, and not one person on this thread would not know him. On numerous occasions, while sitting in his 50,000 sq ft home on top of mulholland, he would say that some days he can't even get out of bed, from the crippling fear of maintaining his 'lifestyle' and all of the money he has going out. This is a man worth, as I stated, hundreds of millions, who has been A list since the late 80's and will go down in history as one of the best entertainer's of all time.

THAT is the reality of this place. People spending too much. people getting caught up in an 'image,' that they can't afford or don't need to afford but are addicted to projecting, due to the expectation to do so in this city. Hollywood/LA the entertainment business, is brutal. Whether you make millions or you're bar tending trying to make ends meet.

Kids who grow up in this world, have serious issues, expectations etc. We don't want any of that for us, or our kids. We also don't want to spend all of the money we have earned/accumulated over the years, into over priced real estate, etc. Nicole Kidman lives in Tennessee. Many actors/entertainers have little places (or big places) out here, but actually live in more rural, low key states, where they spend most of their time. Why?? Not b/c they don't 'make the best of cali, and it's all in their own heads.' It's b/c they've been here long enough to know what's really going on and what's not. What's important and what isn't.

What's important to us is normalcy. Being with each other and our family as much as possible. Traveling. Not being slaves to our money/income or jobs. Being able to turn a job down and go on holiday with our kids, b/c we are financially responsible and can afford to do so. We just had our daughter's bday party and had over 100+ of our friends here. Some are close friends, others are obviously associates. Our network is far and wide, but it doesn't make up for the fact that this isn't where we want to be. Ironically, not one of our friends, has questioned why we would leave here. NOT ONE. Why? B/c they live here an understand exactly why we're leaving. Most would tell you they would leave here if they could, but many are stuck in this web due to stationary jobs, or already committing their lives to a career that, if they were to throw their cards on the table now, after 20+ years of 'trying to make it,' the idea of 'failure' is enough to kill them, so they keep trucking along, hoping, praying for that ONE break, that they've been waiting for to happen.

You may understand all of this you may not. But in the end, I know what I want. My husband knows what he wants and we know what we want for our children and it's NOT SoCal or Hollywood. Right now, it's Colorado. Maybe in 10-15 years, it's Belize or Kansas. Who knows. And whenever our needs/desires change, or what's best for our kids and us changes, we will re-evaluate again and make the best decision for our little tribe.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:36 PM

thanks Beezel,
You seem to understand exactly our situation. Ohio ---to socal ---to Denver, huge difference in all, and the benefits for us and the kids outweigh the snow, their version of 'traffic,' etc. We are laid back folks who like to cook, stay home, do yard work, be active with our little family and build memories that last, without worrying about throwing our hard earned money out the window.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:39 PM

Hi! thanks for the response. We did check out Castle Pines, just didn't have any property we were interested in unfortunately.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:40 PM

You've obviously never lived in LA nor worked in entertainment. Change does come from within, but this isn't Harry Potter, and I can't change the cost of living, the situation with the state budget, droughts, etc..no matter how much I wish upon a star or have a positive attitude.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:42 PM

Thank you! Will check out that area online.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:44 PM

I use DR Horton as an example, I'm aware of all of the big builders that are building terrible homes. I just didn't think it was necessary to actually list each one, as I thought Horton, was enough example to get my point across.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:47 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie'sMom View Post
LAappraiser,
Hi! Thanks for your response.........

Another thing, I think that this whole earthquake thing really bugs me lol. ...........Being from Ohio, I can deal with tornadoes, but I've felt just mid level earthquakes, nothing like the Northridge one that happened years ago

Thank you for your kind words
OK, so much for Stevenson Ranch LOL. I just chimed back in to say that I came here from Ohio too. We used to watch the tornadoes touch down around Columbus when I was in college. Why do they always seem to hit the trailer parks? I went through the Northridge quake and be glad you didn't. After 21 years, I keep worrying about the BIG ONE, but what can you do? Hope your search goes well and that you have a happy holiday season.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:47 PM

403 posts, read 759,086 times
Evergreen is being mentioned because it really, truly is a community. Most of the homes sit on one half-2 acres and you can absolutely see other homes. Many homes are situated within subdivisions and neighborhoods of sorts. The Hiwan development has 7 different ones as an example. There's a quaint Main Street with cafes, galleries, boutiques that is situated within walking distance of Evergreen Lake which provides year-round activities such as a summer concert series, winter Skate The Lake, SUP-ing, fishing, etc. There's a Holiday walk with Santa from the lake house to downtown Evergreen and many other community events throughout the year. I have lived here with my husband and three kids for just over 7 years and every where I go, I see people that I either know personally or recognize by sight at the rec centers, supermarkets, in a restaurant/bar, etc. There's always someone I can smile and wave to which is actually pretty comforting this day in age.

I live on almost 6 acres with a pond that is located in a very small gated subdivision of 10 custom built homes. I thought it might be isolating for my young boys so for two years, I passed up the opportunity to look at the lot I ultimately bought. It was the best decision for my family because it sits adjacent to a neighborhood of about 400 homes and my kids ride bikes back and forth to their friends' homes and their friends come play pond hockey on our pond all winter and basketball and soccer in our cul-de-sac. My boys were able to walk to/from the middle school for the past 3-4 years with their buddies which was awesome. The larger subdivision that we live next to has family picnics in the summers, home brewed beer happy hours, an Easter Egg Hunt, community garage sale days...there's book clubs for the women, poker nights for the guys, and plenty of "come over for a BBQ" types of summer evenings. Yet, at the end of the day, if you don't want to participate in any of those things, it's OK. No on will look at you funny or make comments. It's a live and let live type of place.

Having the option to pop down into Denver to watch one of the 5 major sports teams or go to a concert a the infamous Red Rocks (in 15-20 minutes) is a bonus. I leave my house and can get to Breck to ski (out the back way) in an hour and 15 min. DIA is an hour away. The location and amenities in Evergreen make it a very ideal place to raise a family, but maybe you didn't get a real feel for the area when you were here last? It takes a few times in a car driving around to really understand Evergreen and all it has to offer.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:53 PM

Wow. It sounds great. I will admit, there seems to be a general consensus about Evergreen on here, and your description is definitely something that peaks my interest. Why do you think I'm not finding any properties when I search though? There are a couple on zillow, but literally just a handful, and in the photos I truly cannot see one other house anywhere, on any side. Is a million too low to be searching in that particular area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver