U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 03:14 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,505,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie'sMom View Post
With such an emphasis placed on the high like ability of evergreen, I wish we could actually find something decent there to even go check out. There really isn't much. I mean, I guess I can raise our price point by $200,000 more or so, to see if that opens it up a bit. The way evergreen is described really sounds great, but there literally hasn't been one home we remotely liked even on a moderate level that is available. The inventory there is unbelievably low.
When we were looking we looked at a number of homes in the foothills. Three times the showings were cancelled due to wildfire evacuations. We decided it was a sign and changed our emphasis to the flatlands. Our realtor told us, after we changed our target, that realtors love foothills buyers. They are good for at least 3 or 4 house transactions. Those from out of town buy a home there, sell it 3 or 4 years later and buy in the flatlands (3 transactions). Locals are good for 4 (sell Denver area, buy foothills, sell foothills, buy Denver area). Lots of people don't care for the wildfire danger, isolation, trouble getting around in the winter etc when they can negate all that by moving back to the front range.

In terms of availability more will open up in the spring. Not too many buyers up there when things get snowed and iced in on a regular basis so people don't have their houses on the market.

Denver area is an interesting mix of neighborhoods. You can get practically anything you want from city neighborhood to large lots. The quality of life is very high. Lots of good schools, strong communities, large lots, etc. are much closer in that you realize. In addition the farming towns around Denver grew outward and interconnected so that dotted throughout the area you get small town centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 03:15 PM

64 posts, read 64,469 times
thank you for the input, I tried to include as much info as possible without actually listing our SSN's, legal names, ages, etc,

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-11-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 03:19 PM

great info. thanks for the input. this may seem silly, but are you referring to the evergreens as the foothills?

Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Evergreen is a town in the foothills. A wide area, mostly semi-rural to rural in nature. Treed. "Colorado". Or at least most people's perceptions of it.

It doesn't really matter though, we're all trying to give suggestions, and you can find what you describe just about anywhere in the metro area, especially on the outer ring. If you look to Boulder, resign yourself to a level of existence possibly similar to what you have in LA, $1M in Boulder doesn't buy you nearly as much as you'd think. Scrapes in the worst parts (think next to a main road, etc, there are no BAD areas in Boulder) start at $400K.

In defense of the people who are giving suggestions, many of us have been here a long time, and for me, it is a respite from the annals of stupidity I see on Facebook daily. There are at least a few intelligent souls on this forum; I use it to break up monotony during work.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-11-2015 at 05:49 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 04:33 PM

99 posts, read 84,616 times
Hmmm... the SFV is as far as the moon.

I'm a Newport Beach native... I'm running away from CA. The overpopulation is going to make me go postal.

Why not live in Marin County, the Sonoma Coast, or a host of other great placing in the bay area? Work had me living in the city (Pacific Heights). Huge difference in mindset between northern & southern CA. In SF even the homeless can carry a conversation with depth. lol.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:54 PM

we have family and friends in NoCal. From San Francisco, to Napa. we even checked out San Diego, which I'm fond of to some degree. I think we're just ready to get out of California in general. though I will agree there seems to be a huge difference between lets say, San Fran and LA. I just don't think we're Cali people any longer.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:00 PM

112 posts, read 94,748 times
Quote:
Hi. Thanks! It's the Timbers at the Pinery. Initially during our search I found quite a few homes that were gorgeous and priced well, but we were dissuaded from venturing out there due to varying opinions from folks we know.

I think we checked online for homes in Golden, didn't find anything we liked in Boulder. I know the inventory is low right now b/c of the winter and holidays and more will probably become available afterward, but we are looking to purchase sooner than later.

How is Golden in general? I need to research the homes there again and see if there was anything that stood out to us.
Golden is home to the Coors Brewery, the Colorado School of Mines, and the Colorado Rail Road Museum. What I like about Golden is the river, the walkable downtown area, Lion's Park, and you wouldn't expect it, but there's actually a variety of dining options. One of our favorite Thai restaurants is there. You can walk along the river and feed chickens, there's the Windy Saddle Cafe which has a play area, and they have a Christmas thing every year, and a 4th of July celebration. (Last year was cancelled due to wind) Definitely a fun place to visit if not live.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:14 PM

99 posts, read 84,616 times
I hear that Birdie'sMom... we arrive in Denver Jan 6th, couldn't be happier about it!

Last edited by ZeusMutation; 12-11-2015 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: added text.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,505,404 times
Channel 9 news definition of foothills:
Foothills Generally the foothills are considered the higher terrain between 6,000 and 9,000 feet west of Denver that parallel the Front Range Mountains. The foothills stretch from Roxborough State Park north to the west side of Fort Collins. Evergreen, Morrison, Genesee, Nederland, and Red Feather Lakes are all examples of foothill locations.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:28 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,652,465 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone.
I've been reading some other threads on here and finally joined up, to start my own, as I'm not finding quite the answers I'm looking for. Here's the deal:

My husband and I, along with our 2 yr old daughter and soon to be born son (due in January) currently live in Los Angeles. I'm originally from Ohio and he's a native of the Bay area. He's lived in Santa Fe, NM, Chicago. I've lived in 2 very small towns in Ohio, and Los Angeles (for the last 11 years.)

Neither of us like LA, at all. Never have. Now that we are married and have children, we are starting to actually despise it. The lack of community, high cost of living, droughts, state is bankrupt, people aren't kind, and everyone is sort of in this perpetual rat race, that creates a pretty negative vibe.

We are both in entertainment. My husband is a very successful actor. I'm a writer, and actress, stay at home mom, pregnant with #2. He's 42. I'm 32. We are homebodies, love our family, low key, laid back, not into any party scene or city living. Currently we live about 25 minutes outside of LA (proper) so to speak, in the SFV, where, many of our friends think is the same distance as Earth to the Moon lol.

We've been researching the best places to live and have agreed that Colorado (Denver) is going to be our new home. We've been out a few different times, visiting all over the city, to look at properties. We've probably seen over 100 homes in varying areas. Highlands Ranch, Denver (proper), Stapleton, Arvada, Aurora, Castle Rock, Parker, Centennial, and I believe Greenwood Village as well.

We have chosen Colorado b/c it's an easy flight to LA (a little over 2 hours) and the money we make here, which is very good, goes much, MUCH further in Colorado. We don't need to be in the city, b/c when move to CO, we won't be 'working' as our work is in LA, or NYC, basically wherever my husband is shooting, which is X amount of months out of the year. Therefore we have the luxury of living wherever we choose, without having to consider 'commute' into Denver, or to a job during the week.

Currently we have narrowed it down to Parker and Castle Rock. We aren't fans of having homes close to ours on either side, and love the space/acreage that is available in the above mentioned areas. Plus, we like to feel like we moved to Colorado, not somewhere like Stapleton, where it feels sort of generic and could basically be anywhere in the US. (Though we did love that there were kids everywhere we looked outside playing.)

School is important to us, but we are still deciding if we will ultimately homeschool our kids. Of course we looked in Cherry Creek Village (?) I think was the name, but even with our income, the homes we liked out there were insanely expensive, and part of us leaving LA, is to cut our costs so that we can truly enjoy our success and most importantly our lives and family without constantly being in a never-ending rat race to nowhere.

Right now, we are close to putting in an offer on a home in The Pinery. We fell in love with that area, b/c the homes seem very quality built, not these DR Horton, etc nightmare, throw them up in a day type of builds, where every 4th or 5th house is the same. We love the scenery, the deer, and the views. It truly felt like we were in Colorado. Whereas the homes we looked at in the city, many times were only a block or so away from industrial looking, ugly areas, that we are trying to get away from here. I keep reading that it's far out, etc, but it didn't seem that way to us. Maybe b/c everywhere in LA takes 45 min minimum to even go 10 miles plus we live about 20-25 minutes outside of 'Hollywood'/the city now, and about 35 minutes from the ocean. (without the reality of traffic)

My uncle has lived in Denver for over 50 yrs and obviously loves it. All of my husband's college friends, (who ironically are all in the industry here in LA) are from Colorado and have nothing but fondness for the state. Most of them seem a bit envious that we have the luxury, to actually make a move like this, and still be able to sustain our work, since our jobs don't hold us hostage to being local in LA.

We are aware that Parker and Castle Rock (along with many parts in Colorado) are considered 'reserved' and conservative; with the majority of ppl voting republican and the areas not being the most diverse. We aren't really into politics, simply b/c we think all sides are full of sh*t, and don't mind what people's personal beliefs are, as long as folks are friendly, respectful, and good natured. My husband is black, I'm biracial. We understand there won't be this huge amount of black folks/minorities, and we're okay with that. I grew up in a mostly white town and my husband went to the College of Santa Fe. (enough said lol). We get along with everyone and simply want our kids to be in an environment where they are treated fairly and can enjoy their childhood without unnecessary drama. We also want to be able to meet ppl, make new friends, and have our children be around other children. Safety. Environment.

- With all of that said, what are your thoughts on the Pinery, considering our particular situation?

- Is water really, truly an issue, or going to be one in the next 10 years? This may not be our 'forever home,' but we are looking to own it for a decent amount of time.

- How are the people? Is there a huge difference between Castle Rock (specifically Diamond Ridge Estates and the Pinery in Parker?

- Will it be easy to meet other families and find great things to do? Also is grocery shopping/shopping in general, eating out, etc, that far away? We live in the valley in LA, and still have to drive at least 15-25 minutes to get to really great restaurants, but there are plenty of hole in the wall places around us, b/c of our proximity to the local university.

- Any pros or cons to each place?

- based off of what I've described about our family, what are your general thoughts on our move?

Thank you x
Have you considered Evergreen? It's a short drive (1/2 hour) to Denver proper, but you get the natural beauty and peace of living in the mountains. The schools are excellent as well, so when it's time to put your little ones in class you can be confident they are in good hands.

The other places you mentioned are very nice as well and I'm sure you will love CO. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver