U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:33 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
Katarina ~ you don't know actual commute times because you don't live in Evergreen. What you are saying just isn't true with the exception of the fact that snow (or a highway accident) will definitely slow you down.

I drove my husband from our house to DIA this past Tuesday (typically weekday work day...not a holiday). We left our home in South Evergreen at 8:20 a.m. as soon as our youngest got on the school bus and took Hwy 73 to Hwy 285 North to C-470 West to I-70 to the airport off the Pena Blvd exit. I was back home in my garage at 10:20 a.m. after stopping to fill up my car with gas in Aspen Park at the Loaf 'n' Jug. Do the math!

The other nice thing about modern technology is that one can check traffic before leaving and while driving as well. If there was traffic on I-70, I could've made the decision to take C-470 East to E-470 to DIA. There are options and DIA is certainly an hour away on most days out of a given year.
My husband worked in Genessee (not even to Evergreen) for several years, and commuted from Louisville. It's no picnic. I know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 10:41 AM

397 posts, read 588,824 times
That's great, but a totally different commute on different roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My husband worked in Genessee (not even to Evergreen) for several years, and commuted from Louisville. It's no picnic. I know that.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:01 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,488,646 times
Quote:

Residents of the foothills realize that there is the possibility of wildfire when they move here.
People new to the area aren't aware of local conditions. Most of the posters on here list the pros and cons when making recommendations. One would think that in responding to a post from someone who does not like living in an earthquake zone a responsible person would bring up a local condition that the OP might not know about that is similar in nature to living in an earthquake zone.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 PM

64 posts, read 64,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
People new to the area aren't aware of local conditions. Most of the posters on here list the pros and cons when making recommendations. One would think that in responding to a post from someone who does not like living in an earthquake zone a responsible person would bring up a local condition that the OP might not know about that is similar in nature to living in an earthquake zone.
I definitely was not aware of the fire potential in evergreen. Despite everyone being very pro-evergreen, we've looked there and just aren't interested.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:29 PM

64 posts, read 64,346 times
How is Littleton? Someone out in Castle Rock when we were looking at homes, actually it was the owner of one of the homes, had just moved there, he's Indian, his wife white, and made a joke saying how people there are pretty racist and nothing like Castle Rock. (where he was selling his home). He moved due to his kids being special needs and some school they needed to be in being there. We weren't even looking in Littleton at the time and didn't bring it up, so it's not like he said it to dissuade us in some way.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:36 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
That's great, but a totally different commute on different roads.
You don't get my point.

1. It's not all different roads. He took I-70 from Ward Rd. to Genessee. Go a little farther into the mountains and you get to Evergreen.

2. You're shaving at least 15minutes off the drive times, in good weather.

ETA: I see the OP isn't interested in Evergreen in any event.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:54 PM

285 posts, read 272,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie'sMom View Post
How is Littleton? Someone out in Castle Rock when we were looking at homes, actually it was the owner of one of the homes, had just moved there, he's Indian, his wife white, and made a joke saying how people there are pretty racist and nothing like Castle Rock. (where he was selling his home). He moved due to his kids being special needs and some school they needed to be in being there. We weren't even looking in Littleton at the time and didn't bring it up, so it's not like he said it to dissuade us in some way.
Littleton is one of the older towns in the area. It has it's own identity as it's been around since the latter half of the 1800s. Our experience has been that the western half of the metro area has more of the "local" Coloradans and fewer transplants (who seem to congregate in the south and east). We have friends in/from littleton who have been in Colorado for generations. the overall feel is very friendly to us.

It's probably still plenty white, from an ethnic diversity standpoint (wiki says 89% white). Plenty of families with kids of many ages. There are good parks in Littleton and nearby suburbs. It is closer to the mountains, but still definitely within the metro area. Good access to places like Park Meadows, Costco, Chatfield State Park, as well as the foothills on the other side of 470.

I don't know how much public schools will come into play in your decision as an option at some point, since you're homeschooling, but some would say that Littleton is better than Douglas County schools, which is where you'd go if you were in Parker.

As for homes, you'll find things that run the gamut - from ridiculous huge multimillion dollar mansions on acres of land, to very normal looking 3/2 single family homes. Based on your prior interests in CR and the Pinery, I would imagine you'd find a lot of options in your price range with lots of possibilities in terms of home size, age, lot size, and other amenities.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:09 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,488,646 times
Littleton has a great variety to it. Earlier I had mentioned Ken Caryl Ranch because it has Denver water. Here are some listings there in the million dollar range where it appears you are looking but you certainly can go cheaper.

8 Rose Clover, Littleton, CO 80127 | Zillow

10 Black Bear Ln, Littleton, CO 80127 | Zillow

Since you are planning to home school being closer in to Denver where you can go to museums, cultural activities and be part of groups is a big advantage. The Ken Caryl community also has alot of internal activities that would make it easy to meet other people who live there and make connections.

A more modest home:
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/14_zm/0_mmm/

Old 12-13-2015, 12:06 AM

5,327 posts, read 2,762,557 times
I would recommend visiting, and then renting for a year before committing to buying a house in such a big, varied area as metro Denver.

Also, you may be able to add more neighborhoods to your list if you consider "Colospigs", which has an airport albeit not as large as DIA.

The drive to and from DIA and Littleton is a bear, depending which part of Littleton you are considering. It was always more than one hour each way from our old home, but we were on the mountainous fringe side of Littleton. The area near Centennial is closer but you still have to deal with heavy traffic there and near Greenwood Village, Tech Center, etc.

Aurora is an easy drive to DIA, thanks to E470 (toll road with higher speed limit and much less traffic than other highways). Lots of families there, too. But it is not IN the mountains, though it has good views of them.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-13-2015 at 12:16 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 04:53 AM

132 posts, read 84,189 times
You've already made the best decision in getting out of L.A.; with your means, everything should go smooth and will take care of itself. Early to mid 90's is when LA/So. Cal started to go down the tubes, just too many people. You used to be able to get around freely and get somewhere/anywhere in a half hour during the 70's and 80's, pipe dream now. The heavy influx of illegal's coming into the state from Mexico & Guatemala in the late 80's and 90's was when things started to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver