Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 4,912 times

Advertisements

I moved to Denver (well, technically Aurora) in August with my husband and two young children, and we are now starting to think about where we want to lay down our roots. We cannot figure out the right balance between commute time, lifestyle, schools, cost of housing, and I'm hoping you all can help out. We moved from a small city in the midwest, but have previously lived in a large cities on the east and west coasts, so the housing prices do not come as a huge shock.

Here's what we're looking for...

Budget: $375k max -- we can probably technically afford more, but would rather not be house poor.
Location: near light rail for work commute, access to mountains, could be a suburb or more urban

One of us works at Anschutz and the other downtown, near the convention center. We have one car and would like to keep it that way - my husband currently commutes 9 miles by bicycle to/from work year round. We would love to live in an area with other families where the kids can ride their bikes around the neighborhood. Ideally our home would have 2 bedrooms and a finished basement or 3 bedrooms; our family lives in another state and it would be nice to be able to host them when they visit. 1100-1700 sqft would be ideal; we are not home a lot and don't want a ton of house to care for. We are open to condo/townhouse living as long as there is outdoor space nearby. We are outdoorsy and spend most of our weekends in the mountains hiking, mountain biking, or skiing.

We have thought about Golden and Arvada, but have heard the commute to Anschutz is a beast. A friend mentioned the southern 'burbs are a quicker commute to Anschutz, so we are considering Southwest Denver or Littleton. Lakewood and Wheat Ridge are also possibilities.

Thanks for your infinite wisdom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 AM

17,685 posts, read 29,640,200 times
Stapleton.
Up your budget.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:44 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,252,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosup View Post
We have thought about Golden and Arvada, but have heard the commute to Anschutz is a beast. A friend mentioned the southern 'burbs are a quicker commute to Anschutz, so we are considering Southwest Denver or Littleton. Lakewood and Wheat Ridge are also possibilities.
Ummmm..... need to spend some time studying a map of Denver instead of just going off what you're heard. Southwest Denver and Littleton is on the clear other side of town from Anschutz where you would be part of the massive traffic jams of commuters heading to the Tech Center; the commute from there would be even worse than Golden/Arvada. I can't see how Lakewood or Wheat Ridge would be a possibility if Golden or Arvada is not.

Given your commute, budget, wants and needs, something is going to have to give. I suggest give up on the proximity to the mountains so you can focus on the other items on your list. You're not going to be driving up to the mountains 5+ days a week anyway, but you will be commuting to work 5+ days. It's not that bad to have to drive an extra 20 minutes to get to/from the mountains when it's on the weekends. I would suggest southeast (not southwest) Denver. There are a lot of bike trails (Cherry Creek and Highline Canal) and light rail stations at 9 Mile, Dayton, Southmoor, Yale, Colorado. Also, parts of Aurora should be a consideration too. You could live in south-central/southeast Aurora in zip codes 80013/80014/80015 and bike to the 9 Mile station or the upcoming Iliff station. If Aurora, try to stay within the Cherry Creek School District and within CCSD avoid the attendance area that feeds into Overland High School.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:11 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,364,201 times
Quote:
I moved to Denver (well, technically Aurora) in August with my husband and two young children, and we are now starting to think about where we want to lay down our roots. We cannot figure out the right balance between commute time, lifestyle, schools, cost of housing, and I'm hoping you all can help out. We moved from a small city in the midwest, but have previously lived in a large cities on the east and west coasts, so the housing prices do not come as a huge shock.

Here's what we're looking for...

Budget: $375k max -- we can probably technically afford more, but would rather not be house poor.
Location: near light rail for work commute, access to mountains, could be a suburb or more urban

One of us works at Anschutz and the other downtown, near the convention center. We have one car and would like to keep it that way - my husband currently commutes 9 miles by bicycle to/from work year round. We would love to live in an area with other families where the kids can ride their bikes around the neighborhood. Ideally our home would have 2 bedrooms and a finished basement or 3 bedrooms; our family lives in another state and it would be nice to be able to host them when they visit. 1100-1700 sqft would be ideal; we are not home a lot and don't want a ton of house to care for. We are open to condo/townhouse living as long as there is outdoor space nearby. We are outdoorsy and spend most of our weekends in the mountains hiking, mountain biking, or skiing.

Thanks for your infinite wisdom!
Not a bad problem to solve because on April 22, 2016 we are opening the new heavy rail commuter line goes to the airport. That has a stop near Anschutz. In the winter of 2016, the light rail extension along 225 will reach anschutz with a station on Colfax and one within the health complex and go on to meet the heavy rail to the airport at the Peoria Station.

Also, there will be a new commuter rail line opening from Wheat Ridge and Arvada, going to Union Station. It will open in the fall of 2016. There you can transfer to rail that will take you to Anschutz.

Check it all out at RTD

I would suggest that you look into the western suburbs, Lakewood, Wheat Ridge and Arvada. You then can get quickly to one of the jobs downtown and to Union Station for transfer to Anschutz. Keep in mind that downtown in not in the center of Denver but is nearer the west side and closer to the western suburbs.

Yes, you could live many places as there is good public transit to downtown from almost all areas. The trick is to get to downtown quicker for that job and to the connection point of Union Station.

You could also live 225 and the new light rail extension and get to Aschutz quicker and get to Downtown with the connecting rail of the east line from the airport to Union Station.

Or you can live near the Southwest light rail line or the Southeast Rail line--they will all connect to the new rail lines opening in 2016.

You really have many good choices but the west side gives you that close access to mountains and good public transit with rail and buses to the very near Downtown of Denver.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-11-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 10:17 AM

11,819 posts, read 34,323,376 times
I would suggest a look at South Aurora around Saddle Rock/Southlands/Tallyn's Reach/Southshore/Beacon Point.

If you can't find anything you like there, then expand your search.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Ummmm..... need to spend some time studying a map of Denver instead of just going off what you're heard. Southwest Denver and Littleton is on the clear other side of town from Anschutz where you would be part of the massive traffic jams of commuters heading to the Tech Center; the commute from there would be even worse than Golden/Arvada. I can't see how Lakewood or Wheat Ridge would be a possibility if Golden or Arvada is not.

Given your commute, budget, wants and needs, something is going to have to give. I suggest give up on the proximity to the mountains so you can focus on the other items on your list. You're not going to be driving up to the mountains 5+ days a week anyway, but you will be commuting to work 5+ days. It's not that bad to have to drive an extra 20 minutes to get to/from the mountains when it's on the weekends. I would suggest southeast (not southwest) Denver. There are a lot of bike trails (Cherry Creek and Highline Canal) and light rail stations at 9 Mile, Dayton, Southmoor, Yale, Colorado. Also, parts of Aurora should be a consideration too. You could live in south-central/southeast Aurora in zip codes 80013/80014/80015 and bike to the 9 Mile station or the upcoming Iliff station. If Aurora, try to stay within the Cherry Creek School District and within CCSD avoid the attendance area that feeds into Overland High School.
Your suggestion will be out of date next year. The new R line along 225 will connect to the Southeast line in the DTC with many stations in Aurora to Anschutz. So, there will be many more stations that will be convenient for the OP.

Livecontent

Old 12-11-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I would suggest a look at South Aurora around Saddle Rock/Southlands/Tallyn's Reach/Southshore/Beacon Point.

If you can't find anything you like there, then expand your search.
Are you sure this is a good suggestion. It will be a terrible long commute to downtown and Aschutz where the jobs are located. Also, there is minimal public transit access.

Livecontent

Old 12-11-2015, 10:30 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,008,398 times
Green Valley Ranch and Stapleton.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 4,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Stapleton.
Up your budget.
Stapleton is, frankly, too expensive and too upper middle class white. I need a little diversity.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:43 AM

17,685 posts, read 29,640,200 times
Quote:
Stapleton is, frankly, too expensive and too upper middle class white. I need a little diversity.
The northern part of South Park Hill or the southern part of North Park Hill.

Denver, in general, is not diverse.
Poor people are leaving in droves.
Black population is declining.
Hispanics in higher income neighborhoods are indistinguishable from Episcopalians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver