Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 AM

556 posts, read 760,786 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by saying I've heard and read glowing reviews about Littleton and have spent some time there as well. However, it seems to run the gamut from older homes that look beat up to brand spanking new sub divisions. My wife and I couldn't quite figure out what the best place to raise a family is. Admittedly, it's a big city so we didn't cover everything in our travels, but we had a tough time getting a pulse of the place.

So my question is, where is a good place to raise a family within Littleton? Where are there concentration of families? I'd like to stay away from that federal prison and have no real preference on east or west Littleton just trying to figure where people in similar situations are located.

To answer some questions I know will come up:
  • Budget is up to 450k but I would prefer to stay in the 350k to 400k range.
  • Family with two kids and a dog
  • Working from home so commute not an issue at the moment.
  • Schools are important of course.

Any specific neighborhoods would be welcome or cross streets or zip codes, just trying to figure it out. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 AM

11,822 posts, read 34,355,412 times
I think the Federal Prison is in south Jeffco, (Belleview & Kipling) and not in Arapahoe County's Littleton.

Since schools are important, pick those first and then look at the surrounding available housing.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,106,859 times
There is the city of Littleton, which is centered near Santa Fe and Bowles, and there are areas with a Littleton mailing address.

The city of Littleton lies mostly in Arapahoe County, with parts in Northwest Douglas County and an enclave in Jefferson County across from the west entrance of Chatfield Reservoir.

The zip codes that may use Littleton as the city in the mailing address are listed here.

Each the city of Littleton, Jefferson County and Douglas County all have their own school districts. Littleton is probably the best with the south Jeffco schools next and then Douglas County.

When you narrow down an area, let us know. We can help.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
There is the city of Littleton, which is centered near Santa Fe and Bowles, and there are areas with a Littleton mailing address.

The city of Littleton lies mostly in Arapahoe County, with parts in Northwest Douglas County and an enclave in Jefferson County across from the west entrance of Chatfield Reservoir.

The zip codes that may use Littleton as the city in the mailing address are listed here.

Each the city of Littleton, Jefferson County and Douglas County all have their own school districts. Littleton is probably the best with the south Jeffco schools next and then Douglas County.

When you narrow down an area, let us know. We can help.
I suppose I was asking if anyone had advice on specific areas within Littleton (when I say Littleton I mean the giant area that shows up on Google maps) that meet the criteria I spelled out. If I knew how to do that, I would have more a clue about this

Last edited by guyatwork37; 12-14-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 AM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Ignore the prison. It is not a factor.

1. You can't actually live next to it.
2. One the highest rated charter schools is within spitting distance of it.
3. Most people who live nearby couldn't even tell you it is there.
4. I have never heard about anyone escaping from there. Even the person that I know that spent time there.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Ignore the prison. It is not a factor.

1. You can't actually live next to it.
2. One the highest rated charter schools is within spitting distance of it.
3. Most people who live nearby couldn't even tell you it is there.
4. I have never heard about anyone escaping from there. Even the person that I know that spent time there.
Ok fair enough I suppose. Still not my preference, but I understand your points. Thank you!

Old 12-14-2015, 05:56 PM

Anyone who lives in Littleton or is familiar with the area have any suggestions?

Old 12-14-2015, 06:18 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times
Littleton is too populous and covers too big an area to peg as family-specific, or age-specific otherwise, come to think of it.

Also, think about this: The 1999 high school massacre occurred in "good family", white, upper middle class suburban Littleton.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,622,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Littleton is too populous and covers too big an area to peg as family-specific, or age-specific otherwise, come to think of it.

Also, think about this: The 1999 high school massacre occurred in "good family", white, upper middle class suburban Littleton.
NO NO NO!! The shooting that you are talking about occurred at Columbine High School, which is located in unincorporated Jefferson County and not within the city limits of the City of Littleton. Additionally, Columbine is in the Jefferson County School District, not Littleton School District.

See, OP, this is why it is so hard for people to answer your question. The Littleton City limits are very different from the Littleton mailing address. I believe that a previous poster provided a link to the city limits. With the city limits, there are many different neighborhoods that meet your criteria, and only a few near downtown that don't. Littleton has been for many years a very family oriented community and a good place to raise a family.

There are also many different neighborhoods that meet your criteria within the Littleton School District boundaries, which are different than the city limit boundaries.

BTW, the federal prison is no where near the city limits of Littleton.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:55 PM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The 1999 high school massacre occurred in "good family", white, upper middle class suburban Littleton.
Did not!
Occurred in unincorporated Jefferson County.
Just a Littleton postal address.

----Apologizes to Dreaming as I did not see your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver