Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 AM

286 posts, read 293,140 times

Advertisements

i have a possible job offer at the Denver airport, will be re locating from upstate new York.

how is the cost of living in the city? is it possible to live in a nice one bedroom in a safe area for around 1,000 a month? I know not downtown but what are the affordable suburbs or areas of Denver I could look for an apartment?

as I said I am from upstate new York i'm use to -20 and nor'easter snow storms and are summers are humid and uncomfortable, what are each Denver season like? and is summer a humid or dry heat?

I have heard traffic is god awful in Denver, but really how bad is bad? right now I have a 10-15 minute commute to the airport here traffic or not, how long would it take to commute to the Denver airport at various rush hour times

I like the outdoors, snowboarding hiking, is it easy to get into hiking and out door stuff in Denver or are the Rockies a whole other beast and should be " broken in to" instead of getting lost on a long hike

I like to eat healthy and stay in shape would this be a city for me? is there fresh produce and healthy restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:13 AM

17,676 posts, read 29,598,496 times
Default You will like and not like

1. CoL is the same as upstate except for 4 items.
a. State income tax is a flat 4.63% which works out to be less than NY. This is a minor difference for most people.
b. Rental housing costs are much higher. The typical 1 bedroom in greater Denver is $1500/mo.
c. Purchase housing costs are way higher with the mean/median being over $350K.
d. Real estate are much lower. About 1/4-1/3 of NY.

2. Almost everywhere is safe.

3. Denver does not have suburbs in the same way that Albany does, for example. More sprawl.

4. Dry all year long. We have open patios and not screened porches. You will laugh at the winter weather. I went to school in Troy so trust me on this.

5. Traffic will be worse. The airport is 10+ miles from the nearest housing. Your commute is likely to be 45+ minutes.

6. Everyone moves here for the outdoor living.

7. We have way too much healthy food.

8. In one regard, Denver is a total loser. Our governmental incompetence and corruption at the local and state level does not even come close to Albany, NY.

9. Here is a possibility http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?source=4&id=246759761

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-17-2015 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Correction on income tax rate.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 AM

331 posts, read 462,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

5. Traffic will be worse. The airport is 10+ miles from the nearest housing. Your commute is likely to be 45+ minutes.
Disagree with the bolded statement. I worked at DEN for years. If you live far enough away or over on the West side where you really are stuck with I-70 as the only feasible route across town - sure, look at 45+ minutes each way.

But there's a lot of decent housing - to rent or buy - within a shorter commute time. Especially if your job isn't typical office hours and you're not driving in rush hours.

Also, there are bus and - coming in April 2016 - rail commuting options. So even if it takes a while, you're sitting down, resting, maybe snoozing, and certainly not stuck behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Look on the east side the Denver area for housing. If your job is generally going to be "office hours," check the rail/bus commuting options. Some employers offer discounted transit passes. The Regional Transportation District provides mass transit. Website here: RTD

Also, you can do a lot of your homework here: Official Index - Key Threads - PHOTO TOURS

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 AM

556 posts, read 758,532 times
I imagine if OP wanted to stay in a suburb near the airport Aurora would be the best / least expensive option. Don't know about the safety aspects as I'm sure there are nice and not so nice pockets.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,612,120 times
Aurora would be a decent commute, though it is big so it depends exactly where in Aurora. The real question about commuting is whether you mind paying the tolls on E470. The toll road is much faster and less crowded, with a higher speed limit.

Being a fairly large city, Aurora has both expensive neighborhoods and ones that, at least formerly, were crime-ridden. This has probably changed in an overall gentrification direction.

Metro Denver weather---talking about ONLY the similar-elevation towns, not high foothills---will likely be less cold in winter than upstate NY, but hotter in summer. It is a dry and very sunny heat, with rare exceptions that do not last long. One thing you might not have had in NY is extreme wind; be prepared for days of sustained 35-45 mph wind, with gusts reaching 80 to 90. Both the plains neighborhoods and the canyon/mtn ones get it.

You can prepare for long, high-altitude hiking by doing frequent walks and bike rides right in the Denver area, because there are excellent paths and trails that go a long way. And people are definitely crazy for outdoor sports. A great place for active people to live.

Food...fantastic AUTHENTIC Asian food on Federal Blvd. in Denver, and I am told also in Aurora. Many Whole Foods and other health-focused grocers, plus some "health food restaurants." But, really, when I first moved to the area from MA, I really really missed GREAT ICE CREAM. At the time, frozen yogurt was the most popular thing. If you like fresh, high-quality ice cream, now you can get it at Sweet Cow in Louisville.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-17-2015 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 11:36 AM

3,397 posts, read 4,574,166 times
Look into the suburbs, Denver county is going to cost you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver