U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 698 times

Advertisements

Hey teachers, I was thinking of relocating from Las Vegas to Denver. I currently teach resource room. I am very over living in Las Vegas. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me their opinion about how it is to teach in Denver or surrounding areas and how you like it? Also, how do you like the way the bonus system works for the Denver school system? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 03:59 PM

285 posts, read 272,447 times
A few recent threads.

Teaching in the Denver area
Teaching/Schools in Denver & Surrounding

Additionally, there are numerous threads about some of the school districts, both Denver proper and surrounding suburbs that are important to review if considering coming out and being a teacher. Look up jefferson county or jeffco, and douglas county. There are plenty of threads that will bring you up to speed.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM

117 posts, read 111,315 times
I do not envy teachers in this renters/sellers market here..

Goodluck

Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 PM

340 posts, read 900,473 times
I am also a resource teacher. I work in a very small district on the south side of the city. I love living here, but it is hard to be a teacher in this area! The salary does not match the COL at all, and COL just keeps getting higher and higher while our pay is actually getting lower (most districts have experienced salary freezes or cuts). I think it's a little harder for me because I grew up in the midwest and my parents are teachers. There, being a teacher can lead to a very comfortable middle class, if not upper middle class lifestyle. My parents both make significantly more than I can ever dream of in Denver, and they live in a very nice house in a desirable neighborhood that they paid around 130k for. In comparison, one of my coworkers just bought a house in my school's neighborhood, which is a fairly low SES/not desirable suburb area, for over 500k! School funding is not a priority here and I do not see the $ situation getting any better. I'm not sure how much longer I can afford to stay here. I'm lucky enough to have a small inheritance that I've been able to subsidize my income with, but that won't last forever!

I'm not sure what you're used to as far as caseload, but those are very high here as well. There are no legal limits for how many a resource teacher can take on (again, a big shocker coming from my home state, where the limit was 16). I had almost 50 students my first year in my current school. Luckily they did hire another teacher at the end of the year, but our caseload continues to grow and I expect to have at least 35 at the end of the year. I don't mind the high caseload as much because I highly prefer resource to full inclusion (I felt like an aide in full inclusion settings), and the high caseload pretty much makes it impossible to do anything but resource. However, I do often feel that I'm not able to meet the students' needs like I should. There is a lot of political nonsense going on in many of the Denver districts. It would take too long to explain here; I would suggest doing a search for the districts philberf suggested. So far, my tiny district has been shielded from all of that, but who knows how long that will last.

I did interview in DPS and found that they make their sped teachers sign four year contracts (this was a few years ago, check to see if this is still the policy). This doesn't really offer you any extra job protection. It basically just says that as long as the school/district chooses to renew your contract, you have to stay for four years. That was a huge red flag for me, especially since there were tons of openings despite the four year contract thing, which leads me to believe people are getting out as soon as they can. It's also telling that turnover was so high that they had to start this policy in order to combat it. The one positive for teaching here is that the job market is great; especially for resource! If you do want to move here, you should have no problems at all finding a job. My teammate left at the end of last year and we looked/interviewed all summer to try and fill her position. We couldn't find anyone until a month into this school year. My principal was calling around to other districts asking if they had any leads and found that many of them had unfilled positions also. My other teammate's daughter has an IEP and is currently being taught by a sub because they still can't fill the open position at her school. However, even with the job market, if you really want to move here I would advise you to start early. Some districts will begin interviews for next year as early as February, and it's common practice to try to have hiring completely done by the time the school year gets out. Although I hear it's a bit better now, back when I applied for my CO teaching license it took a ridiculous amount of time to come in (I believe it was 7 months), so if you're serious I'd apply for the license now so you can try to have it in hand when job searching.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:31 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,821,470 times
I have several teachers working a second job at my restaurant to cover bills. That should tell you everything....

Old 12-24-2015, 11:10 AM

16 posts, read 10,545 times
Hello. I had the "Teaching in Denver" post. Below is the best info shared. I am leaning against moving to Denver based on what I've read on these discussion boards. I live in Dallas, but want to get out. Trying to find a good fit in another state.

Here is the original post:

I have been teaching in the area for nearly 25 years. The best districts to work for are:

Boulder Valley SD (Boulder), Cherry Creek SD (Greenwood Village, Centennial, S. Aurora), Littleton (Littleton), and maybe Jeffco (Western Suburbs)

Douglas County has issues and a different pay scale that limits most teachers like yourself. You could work there (turnover is high) get some experience and move to a better district. That is what many do.

Denver is the large urban district, and it has typical urban problems. Aurora is smaller, but much the same. Sheridan and Englewood are inner ring suburbs with issues as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or