Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:27 AM

163 posts, read 771,826 times

Advertisements

Oh by the way, usually the highways are going to be better because of more traffic and that means more melted. Normally more cars means the road is more slushy, and that means more traction. A lot of times the side streets with less traffic will have more snow buildup and be slippier.

Although obviously the speeds will be lower and therefore safer on the city streets until you're more comfortable.

Tim (also from CA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,330,586 times
Thanks, Tim. Yep, this was pretty much my first time in the snow for this SoCal native. Honestly, I think the biggest problem I had today was trying to get an occasional glimpse of the lane markers so as not to straddle two lanes by accident. Of course, not being too familiar with the city to begin with didn't help.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:56 AM

163 posts, read 771,826 times
yeah thats hard if you dont know the streets. follow the tire tracks....or guess

Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 AM

456 posts, read 1,572,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What part of town are you in? I left the DU area around 2:00 and drove Evans to Colorado to 6th Ave to Quebec to Colfax to Chambers. There was quite a bit of traffic and we were doing about 20-30 mph most of the time. Felt like LA but with snow. I saw a bunch of plows out but none were actually plowing.

How do you all feel about city street vs. highways when there's snow? I felt more comfortable taking city streets because I knew the speeds would be lower and hopefully I'd get in less trouble. When I crossed under I-225, it looked like they were moving a lot better than the streets.

Even though I guess this was a pretty mild snow, I feel pretty good about gaining the experience. I only lost traction a little one time from the accelerator since I was being very gentle on the gas. The ABS did kick in a few times but I left myself plenty of room in front of me so there was no danger of hitting anyone even when the car wasn't slowing as quickly as I'd hoped.
I live downtown and commuted from S. Colorado and I-25. I decided to take locals home -University to Speer instead of the highway but it ended up taking a long time anyways. Usually, the highways save me quite a bit of time but it was not the case yesterday. I threw my car into 4wd which helped me quite a bit. I'm from Chicago so I can handle snow driving fairly well. Last night was nothing but of course, everyone's driving like idiots!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

How do you all feel about city street vs. highways when there's snow?
If it is really, really, really bad like a full on blizzard, I'd prefer to stay on the main routes. If something goes wrong, there is help. I normally take back roads from Schriever AFB to/from my home near Monument. If there is a blizzard I could get stranded. Some places along the route cell phones don't work.

Otherwise, I like remote two lane back roads. Scenic, relaxing, no traffic, only two stop lights on my 38 mile commute. Less people going too fast. Less people to get in an accident with. But, sometimes somebody gets on my tail and pressures me to go faster. I hate that. On a four lane highway at least they can pass.

Schriever and D38 schools are on a two hour delay this morning so my carpool bud and I are going in late. I have to blow my driveway, there's some two foot drifts on it in places. It is still snowing lightly.

So, this weather event seems like a 4 or 5 here on the Palmer Divide - an average winter snow event.

This is a 10; My then seven year old daughter in our driveway in January 2007 after two blizzards in about ten days.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:26 AM

26,126 posts, read 48,749,174 times
On a scale of 1-10, this storm rates a 1 here in northern COL SPGS, maybe 1-2 inches, nothing to worry about.

Took me NO time to get home last night... I be retired....

Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,467,969 times
Got stuck behind some moron with California plates in an SUV last night straddling both lanes doing I kid you not less than 10MPH in a 35 zone.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 AM

275 posts, read 1,468,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
I live downtown and commuted from S. Colorado and I-25. I decided to take locals home -University to Speer instead of the highway but it ended up taking a long time anyways. Usually, the highways save me quite a bit of time but it was not the case yesterday. I threw my car into 4wd which helped me quite a bit. I'm from Chicago so I can handle snow driving fairly well. Last night was nothing but of course, everyone's driving like idiots!
Just a question... if you live downtown and work near I-25 and S. Colorado, why don't you take the train -- at least when there is snow?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM

456 posts, read 1,572,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
Just a question... if you live downtown and work near I-25 and S. Colorado, why don't you take the train -- at least when there is snow?
I COULD take the train, and I probably should when the weather's bad again. I timed it once to see how long it would take with walking, waiting, and transferring, and it was over an hour.

I don't know how much more that would be with snow added in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver