Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
People stay because they like it, because they are from there, because they have a job there, because they have family there, because they don't have enough money to move, because, because, because...... Why haven't you moved yet?

You seem to arrive at a lot of conclusions without doing any research at all.
I can do all the research in the world, but I don't have to prove to you anything because you'll tear it apart. Secondly, I don't have time for that because you can't be persuaded. It's a wasted effort on my part. Lastly, it's not your concern when I move, I have my reasons.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:17 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I can do all the research in the world, but I don't have to prove to you anything because you'll tear it apart. Secondly, I don't have time for that because you can't be persuaded. It's a wasted effort on my part. Lastly, it's not your concern when I move, I have my reasons.

I didn't mean for you to tell me why you haven't moved. I was trying (albeit unsuccessfully) to prove to you that there are numerous reasons why people stay in places that they have deemed too expensive. Just like you have your reasons for being where you are, even though you believe that life could be better elsewhere, so do many other people. It will always be this way. Colorado will always be more expensive than a lot of places and cheaper than others.

1.6 million people live in Manhattan. They aren't all rich, but they stay because they have their reasons.

You shouldn't be interested in doing research because you can prove something to someone. You should be interested in reading because you might actually learn something.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberpills View Post
I'm sorry to sound judgmental but do you guys who live there actually have no problem that homes are selling for almost $300/sqft? I guess it really is sticker shock because this seems like a major turnoff for people coming from more affordable COL states who want to contribute to the state of CO.

Are the down payments on mortgages still 20% or are a lot of these homes being bought with everything financed?

These are prices that I would expect from California because the weather there is near perfect year around. Colorado is great for having the Rockies and all, but anything east of Denver is more or less Kansas in the sense that it's flat and there's lots of room for agriculture.

I guess I'm on the wrong side of the coin. If I were moving to CO from a more expensive state then I guess it would be a steal.
Yeah, our house is at about $300/sq. foot. Then we finished our basement a few years ago, but that square footage isn't calculated at the same rate as everything above ground.

We moved here from SoCal 10 years ago and sold a 2 bdr. condo for almost the same amount we bought the new house for in Denver (just before the market seriously crashed in California)

It would be difficult to come here from a low COL market. I personally wouldn't mind the market flattening this year since my property taxes keep going up.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:02 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
It's not about the money aspect of it. It's just the size of the houses for us. It's just two of us, a cat and a dog. I had the 3600 sq ft house in CLT for 2 of us and it was a total waste. Bedrooms sat unused. We'd be happy in a 1400 sq ft brand new build but it doesn't seem to exist here. So we'll stay renting in our apt for now

Old 12-29-2015, 02:19 PM

95 posts, read 154,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, our house is at about $300/sq. foot. Then we finished our basement a few years ago, but that square footage isn't calculated at the same rate as everything above ground.

We moved here from SoCal 10 years ago and sold a 2 bdr. condo for almost the same amount we bought the new house for in Denver (just before the market seriously crashed in California)

It would be difficult to come here from a low COL market. I personally wouldn't mind the market flattening this year since my property taxes keep going up.
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's good to know that property taxes are also a consideration for more expensive homes.

What life circumstances brought you to Denver? Work? Family?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 PM

194 posts, read 273,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It's not about the money aspect of it. It's just the size of the houses for us. It's just two of us, a cat and a dog. I had the 3600 sq ft house in CLT for 2 of us and it was a total waste. Bedrooms sat unused. We'd be happy in a 1400 sq ft brand new build but it doesn't seem to exist here. So we'll stay renting in our apt for now
This! I appreciate this thread as I don't feel alone. Trying really hard to find 1500-2000 SF here. They don't seem to exist. Like you said, not about the price...just don't want/need more.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
This! I appreciate this thread as I don't feel alone. Trying really hard to find 1500-2000 SF here. They don't seem to exist. Like you said, not about the price...just don't want/need more.
If it's not about the price, build a custom home and get what you want.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:21 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
There are smaller homes roughly 1000 sq ft - 2000 sq ft. You have to look at older homes build in the 1970s to late 1980s. The inner ring suburbs (Englewood, east Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, old Westminster, old Thornton)

Old 12-30-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

Does that $300 figure include land? Asking because since you are in Stapleton, I'm assuming you were not full custom and I built full custom for less than that, but land was not in the figure.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
There are some new homes in Louisville and Lafayette that are patio home style SF homes. I don't know the names of all the subdivisions, other than Steel Ranch, but there are several of them in north Louisville moving up into Lafayette.

Steel Ranch | Boulder Creek Neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver