Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM

194 posts, read 273,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
There isn't any listing of the ACTUAL sq ft of the house, not the barn. Very misleading ad.
And then when you click thru for more info you have to sign up to see the listing. But you can see it is 4,000 SF. I am sure the ad is listed somewhere else with no restriction but still it is kind of weird.

I didn't read the Stapleton part as misleading though. Just a statement as to where you would find close shopping. I think Northfields is all shops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:54 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
And then when you click thru for more info you have to sign up to see the listing. But you can see it is 4,000 SF. I am sure the ad is listed somewhere else with no restriction but still it is kind of weird.

I didn't read the Stapleton part as misleading though. Just a statement as to where you would find close shopping. I think Northfields is all shops?

There is a lot of multiunit housing in Northfield now, and most, if not all, the new houses being built in Stapleton are North of Northfield. So, whereas Northfield used to be outside of Stapleton's main confines, it's shifting more towards the middle.

I lived in Stapleton for 3 years and did a ton of shopping at Northfield, more out of its convenience than anything else. I never thought it quite lived up to its potential, though. Something always seemed to be missing there as compared to other large outdoor, walkable shopping centers in other places I have lived (primarily more upscale store and restaurant anchors). I think the last 6-12 months have seen more growth, however.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
[/b]

There is a lot of multiunit housing in Northfield now, and most, if not all, the new houses being built in Stapleton are North of Northfield. So, whereas Northfield used to be outside of Stapleton's main confines, it's shifting more towards the middle.

I lived in Stapleton for 3 years and did a ton of shopping at Northfield, more out of its convenience than anything else. I never thought it quite lived up to its potential, though. Something always seemed to be missing there as compared to other large outdoor, walkable shopping centers in other places I have lived (primarily more upscale store and restaurant anchors). I think the last 6-12 months have seen more growth, however.
I would imagine Northfield will start seen more growth. The place is crazy busy these days. I remember when we first moved here 10 years ago, I was worried Target would go out of business due to lack of customers. Now it's as annoyingly packed most times I go in there. I just wish Bass Pro was something else. It's very out of place in the middle of Denver. And the stupid jacked up trucks take up too many parking spaces lol!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I would imagine Northfield will start seen more growth. The place is crazy busy these days. I remember when we first moved here 10 years ago, I was worried Target would go out of business due to lack of customers. Now it's as annoyingly packed most times I go in there. I just wish Bass Pro was something else. It's very out of place in the middle of Denver. And the stupid jacked up trucks take up too many parking spaces lol!
Denverian I hate to say it but I bet Bass Pro Shops is more in place in Denver / Colorado then say Claire or Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa. We are the intruders, we are the ones coming here changing the culture...

I am excited to see more growth in Northfield. The 29th street center is opening a big retail / apartment space as well so we should see more stuff happening there. Northfield parking lot is always super packed though.

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 12-30-2015 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 10:19 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Northfield itself is the shopping center, with a limited number of apartment buildings (condos?) that are adjacent.

Conservatory Green is the residential neighborhood immediately north of Northfield and that's looking pretty built out at this point. There is some commercial development north side of Northfield Blvd - not a lot but I think there's a Starbucks so at least you can get a cup of coffee without having to cross over into the shopping center itself. That's also walkable to some extent, but having to cross a large street like that makes it seem more separated. I think the central core of the shopping center has a nice feel to it, lots of restaurants with patios, lots of foot traffic. But the fact that it's surrounded by big box stores and giant parking lots makes it isolated from the housing and it won't ever be the type of truly integrated walkable area that I personally would like.

North of Conservatory Green are a couple of additional neighborhoods - Willow Park East and Wicker Park. They are already getting ready to build a new elementary school in WPE so presumably that's built out enough or at least enough lots are sold to warrant a school.

But to go back to my original point, I can buy that they were referring to shopping areas in the Watkins listing, although I still find it odd to hightlight that in a listing. But the Thornton one that just had a random list of towns, I still think they did that solely so it would show up when people did a search for property in one of those towns or areas.

Quote:
Thornton, Westminster, Broomfield , Northglenn , Denver , Brighton , Stapleton , Erie , Lousiville , Lafayette

Old 12-30-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Northfield itself is the shopping center, with a limited number of apartment buildings (condos?) that are adjacent.

Conservatory Green is the residential neighborhood immediately north of Northfield and that's looking pretty built out at this point. There is some commercial development north side of Northfield Blvd - not a lot but I think there's a Starbucks so at least you can get a cup of coffee without having to cross over into the shopping center itself. That's also walkable to some extent, but having to cross a large street like that makes it seem more separated. I think the central core of the shopping center has a nice feel to it, lots of restaurants with patios, lots of foot traffic. But the fact that it's surrounded by big box stores and giant parking lots makes it isolated from the housing and it won't ever be the type of truly integrated walkable area that I personally would like.

North of Conservatory Green are a couple of additional neighborhoods - Willow Park East and Wicker Park. They are already getting ready to build a new elementary school in WPE so presumably that's built out enough or at least enough lots are sold to warrant a school.

But to go back to my original point, I can buy that they were referring to shopping areas in the Watkins listing, although I still find it odd to hightlight that in a listing. But the Thornton one that just had a random list of towns, I still think they did that solely so it would show up when people did a search for property in one of those towns or areas.
emm it is very common. I buy and sell a ton of musical instruments on CL - "how many guitars do you need? just one more..." is a common theme between me and my wife - so I always see people tagging a BUNCH of random but related words to their post. Someone would sell a Fender guitar and put every word from Fender to Marshall to Gibson at the bottom just so their post shows up on as many searches as possible (Marshall makes amps, Gibson is probably the second more popular guitar maker after Fender, neither are related in any way to the Fender Strat being sold). It's a lot more common than you'd think so I am not really surprised to see it to be honest with you.

Not sure what the big deal is, it is a very very common thing to do. I think it's silly, to be honest, but it is very prevalent on CL.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:30 AM

930 posts, read 700,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Of course they did. If that's the most happening spot in closest proximity, it makes sense to do that. Watkins is in the middle of nowhere. So if Stapleton's Northfield the closest shopping center, that's probably why they listed it as "nearby".

My condo is located within the metropolitan ring on Denver's east side (Havana/Florida intersection on the west side of Havana). If I ever list it for rent/sale, I will likely note that it's less than 10 minutes from Lowry and Glendale, and about 20 minutes from downtown. Those are the areas that matter the most to young urbanists, because there are lots of restaurants and bars in those areas. I also usually tell people I'm in East Denver even though I'm technically in Aurora's Dayton Triangle neighborhood ( The Triangle, DayTri, The Triangle at Dayton ). Otherwise, everyone just assumes I'm in the absolute worst part of Aurora, way on the outskirts of town. It's all marketing tactics at the end of the day.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:46 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We are the west and have western culture, not some snooty coastal elitist city like NYC or San Francisco. People who move here from different states should embrace the culture, not try to change it to their old home.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:21 PM

977 posts, read 1,327,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
We are the west and have western culture, not some snooty coastal elitist city like NYC or San Francisco. People who move here from different states should embrace the culture, not try to change it to their old home.
Bass Pro Shops is a Southern intruder into the West and is an abomination. Real Coloradoans shop at Cabelas or Sports Authority (Gart Brothers) for their gear. Anyone who respects Colorado's western culture would know that.

Hell, it's called Bass Pro Shop and Colorado isn't exactly known for our bass fishing (except as an invasive species that pollutes our reservoirs). We like trout. That alone should give you a clue who the interloper is.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Bass Pro Shops is a Southern intruder into the West and is an abomination. Real Coloradoans shop at Cabelas or Sports Authority (Gart Brothers) for their gear. Anyone who respects Colorado's western culture would know that.

Hell, it's called Bass Pro Shop and Colorado isn't exactly known for our bass fishing (except as an invasive species that pollutes our reservoirs). We like trout. That alone should give you a clue who the interloper is.
Hate Sports Authority but love me some Cabelas!! It's like a playground for adults

Bass Pro Shops started in MO - not exactly the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver