U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:56 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,218,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Generalize much? I shop there out of convenience and I don't wear camo or go "a shootin' and a huntin'". They do have camping gear, snowshoes, and yes guns and ammo. Every once in a while you see some "tacti-cool" type but mostly it's just regular people shopping for outdoor gear. You live in Stapleton - but I don't assume you are a yoga practicing vegan housewife - and if I did you'd say I'm generalizing.

I know you just made a flippant comment and didn't consider the backlash - but consider that this is the only outdoor store in the area and just because you don't shop there doesn't mean that everyone that does is some back-country hick (I mean I'm from NYC and I shop there). Anyway, no big deal, but it's a fun store with lots of toys. It's no Cabela's but I'm not trying to drive to the other side of Denver to visit Cabela's.

As far as the whole Urban thing... let's agree to disagree on calling Stapleton "urban"... I live in Park Hill, and I have my own opinions about Stapleton's "manufactured charm". Considering as how Conservatory green is still being built out I can't imagine anyone calling it urban, or the city... especially when you have to cross a major highway to get to the city.
I'd call Stapleton Urban, compared to where most Bass Pro shoppers drive in from. And no, I don't have a vegan wife. I have a vegan husband Drive a Prius too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
It seems to get plenty of business as a regional draw and there's another hillbilly bar going in where Toby Keith'ss was- because Toby Keith's closed for failure to pay taxes, not due to the profitability of the location. The hillybilly aspect is a strong draw for the surrounding areas. Jim-N-Nick's does a steady business.

The Stapleton urban liberals haven't done a great job of keeping businesses afloat in Northfield. See Circuit City, Borders, clothing, etc. Hell, you guys can't even convince a co-op grocery to open up shop, let alone get a Whole Foods here!
Another hillbilly bar? They already have the TX Roadhouse and Dead Lobster/Olive Garden to eat at

I still say it's a huge marketing flaw of Northfield to try and cater to opposing demographics. Just seems very odd to me.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
You don't camp? Hell, you just failed the Denver liberal test. If you don't camp, hike, ski, and drive an Outback, you can't call yourself a Denver liberal.
lol! NO! No camping for me. I do ski, and drive a Prius. Hiking.... every now and then. Otherwise I'm not allowed to wear my NorthFace jacket

Old 12-30-2015, 03:00 PM

930 posts, read 534,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'd call Stapleton Urban, compared to where most Bass Pro shoppers drive in from. And no, I don't have a vegan wife. I have a vegan husband Drive a Prius too!
I haven't been in one lately, but isn't Bass Pro Shop just an outdoors retail store? Why wouldn't that fit in with Stapleton/Northfield? Is it because of the clientele it tends to bring in, say like a Walmart or Dollar General?

Old 12-30-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That's what I mean you can't tell me anyone living here is living "in the city" not in rural areas. When I think of living in the city I think of living downtown, cap hill, cheesman park, broadway, etc. I don't think of Quebec, Monaco, etc. I moved to Park Hill because I wanted to live in an older suburb so the whole argument that "we live in the city so Bass Pro Shops doesn't belong here" is incorrect.
Stapleton isn't downtown. It's about 6 - 8 miles from downtown, depending. Why would you characterize it as rural? Ask someone from from a farm on the plains about that....

Old 12-30-2015, 03:07 PM

898 posts, read 987,562 times
Quote:
Stapleton isn't downtown. It's about 6 - 8 miles from downtown, depending. Why would you characterize it as rural? Ask someone from from a farm on the plains about that....
Oh no no no, you confuse me for someone who cares enough to do that. I am just refuting your asinine argument, that's all...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't live "in the city" nor do you live in an urban neighborhood.... you my friend live in suburbia. Suburbia attracts all sorts of people. I like Bass Pro Shops, and I about as far removed from a hick as possible. You don't like don't shop there - they seem to be doing fine without you. God forbid they take away the outdoor shops and all we are left with is ****ing yoga studios and vegan restaurants

Old 12-30-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I haven't been in one lately, but isn't Bass Pro Shop just an outdoors retail store? Why wouldn't that fit in with Stapleton/Northfield? Is it because of the clientele it tends to bring in, say like a Walmart or Dollar General?
If you camp, then they have that gear. But I have yet to meet a Stapleton resident who hunts, has a fishing boat, shotguns, etc. I've had the discussion with multiple neighbors and no one I've talked to yet frequents Bass Pro. Stapleton is more of an REI neighborhood.

And then you can tell by the clientele in BP that many/most aren't urban/suburban people. I've never been in any other establishment in the city of Denver where people are wearing Wranglers, boots and camo jackets. And based on the vehicles in the parking lot, this BP depends on people driving in from rural areas. People in Denver don't drive "dually" pickups. Maybe you'd find someone somewhere... but it's not common. I think it's very odd placement for a BP. The Cabellas down south is on the edge of the 'burbs. Although Lone Tree is more "face lift cougars and CEOs" rather than farmers.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM

918 posts, read 983,858 times
Quote:
Another hillbilly bar? They already have the TX Roadhouse and Dead Lobster/Olive Garden to eat at

I still say it's a huge marketing flaw of Northfield to try and cater to opposing demographics. Just seems very odd to me.
I think it's because, no matter how hard Stapletonians try to ignore it, it's a very affluent neighborhood surrounded my some less affluent areas and some real crap. There's not enough populace, nor household income levels, to support the trendy Cherry Creek/Park Meadows shopping that people in Stapleton want, and they turn their noses up at the things that are there now which makes to harder for other businesses to justify setting up shop there. Forest City also is focused on national chains which makes it harder as well since they seem to be less willing to take on risk.

I'd like to see few more mass-market retailers in Northfield (H&M, Costco, Best Buy, Nordstroms Rack, Off Saks come to mind) in order to increase the customer base to get a few more local retailers there.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:16 PM

918 posts, read 983,858 times
Quote:
If you camp, then they have that gear. But I have yet to meet a Stapleton resident who hunts, has a fishing boat, shotguns, etc. I've had the discussion with multiple neighbors and no one I've talked to yet frequents Bass Pro. Stapleton is more of an REI neighborhood.
Get out and talk to your neighbors. Heck, some of us own several firearms and even a pair of *gasp* cowboy boots to go along with our Carhart jacket- because you have to wear something when you're doing operational visits.

Totally agree on the fishing boat thing. That's one product at Bass Pro that does leave me scratching my head on who's buying them. Then again, I'm a fly fishing kind of guy and don't see the need for the boat.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Oh no no no, you confuse me for someone who cares enough to do that. I am just refuting your asinine argument, that's all...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't live "in the city" nor do you live in an urban neighborhood.... you my friend live in suburbia. Suburbia attracts all sorts of people. I like Bass Pro Shops, and I about as far removed from a hick as possible. You don't like don't shop there - they seem to be doing fine without you.
That it's urban? Hey... I can walk to crack whores on Colfax from my house and hear gunshots at night. And it ain't target practice But seriously, people move to Stapleton because they want easy/quick access to urban amenities (downtown, Cherry Creek, all the non-chain restaurants in Denver, arts, etc.) but someplace decent to raise kids (good schools). I wouldn't live in Highlands Ranch because I don't want to drive 45 min. to go to a decent restaurant (or deal with the religious judgement).

If you think Stapleton attracts "all types", think again. It's very liberal and not the type of people who regularly shop at BP. Seriously, I've heard over and over from Stapleton residents that they wish there was something else on that site, like an IKEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or