U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:04 PM

117 posts, read 111,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
...So, appears to me that cities south of Denver don't have the race diversities that the city of Denver, and cities close to Denver, have...
Well, yeah. Basically. No argument here. However, majority White suburbs are hardly unique to Denver as well as highly diverse suburbs such as Aurora. My main focus was the city of Denver and Denver metro as a whole as that was what the OP asked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 04:41 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,903,815 times
I don't find people here in Denver to be racially conscious at all. You will have no problems.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:24 PM

4,325 posts, read 1,788,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybentherars View Post
Now before people jump in this thread and attack me.
I'm a colored man from Texas moving to Denver for work.
In the south racism is still strong and there are certain places you just don't go. I had to learn the hard way that even in 2015, racial tensions in certain parts of Texas are still high. And I've had a few runs going to the wrong place i.e. bar/club etc in which I'm blessed to still have my life. I have new career opportunity in Denver and I just wanna let loose and party a bit as well and meet new people!!!

I'm wondering what places are safe for me to go to that are racially open and diverse i.e. Lounges/Bars/Clubs

thank you In advanced!
Is this 1950? No one refers to themselves this way anymore.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 AM

930 posts, read 534,830 times
I know what I'm about to say is going to ruffle some feathers, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I don't believe you'll face a lot of racism/bigotry, per se. At least not blatantly. I'm white, but I have an AA friend who moved here with the Navy from Brooklyn and he's always commenting on the lack of AA people here and the lack of diverse culture here. Denver is still trying to grow up and shed its Cowtown culture, and it will take a little while due to the fact that it's grown so much in such a short period of time.

What you'll notice here is a lack of diversity. Denver proper is a very white city, and it contains a lot of white middle class folks who have been sheltered from diversity most of their lives (because they come from upper middle class families, areas; or they're natives and just haven't been exposed to much diversity). Someone in another thread stated it rather well. "People like diversity just so long as diversity is kept segregated from them". That's Denver in a nutshell. Diversity is better confined to places like Federal Boulevard, Sheridan, and Aurora in their minds. Some of the folks even look down their noses at places like this, as if it's beneath them in some way, or that it's a little more dangerous because of darker people that reside there. They seem to disregard the fact that it's crazy, middle class white folks who shoot up the schools and theaters around here.

This has been my experience living here, after moving from a very diverse Metro Detroit area. It's not a bad place to live (in fact, it's pretty nice for the most part; and relatively safe/clean for a larger city), it's just that many of the people here have lived pretty sheltered lives in terms of diversity and they're not yet very embracing of diverse cultures. South Park does a pretty good job this season of parodying the gentrification that's happening locally. You should watch that if you haven't already.

Last edited by Mr. Analyst; 01-06-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 04:27 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I know what I'm about to say is going to ruffle some feathers, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I don't believe you'll face a lot of racism/bigotry, per se. At least not blatantly. I'm white, but I have an AA friend who moved here with the Navy from Brooklyn and he's always commenting on the lack of AA people here and the lack of diverse culture here. Denver is still trying to grow up and shed its Cowtown culture, and it will take a little while due to the fact that it's grown so much in such a short period of time.

What you'll notice here is a lack of diversity. Denver proper is a very white city, and it contains a lot of white middle class folks who have been sheltered from diversity most of their lives (because they come from upper middle class families, areas; or they're natives and just haven't been exposed to much diversity). Someone in another thread stated it rather well. "People like diversity just so long as diversity is kept segregated from them". That's Denver in a nutshell. Diversity is better confined to places like Federal Boulevard, Sheridan, and Aurora in their minds. Some of the folks even look down their noses at places like this, as if it's beneath them in some way, or that it's a little more dangerous because of darker people that reside there. They seem to disregard the fact that it's crazy, middle class white folks who shoot up the schools and theaters around here.

This has been my experience living here, after moving from a very diverse Metro Detroit area. It's not a bad place to live (in fact, it's pretty nice for the most part; and relatively safe/clean for a larger city), it's just that many of the people here have lived pretty sheltered lives in terms of diversity and they're not yet very embracing of diverse cultures. South Park does a pretty good job this season of parodying the gentrification that's happening locally. You should watch that if you haven't already.
All the statistics I'm seeing say Denver proper is around 11% Black and around 30% Hispanic and 4% Asian. That's getting close to half the city not being white. I wouldn't exactly call it a "very white" city.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 953 times
In Aurora, things are cozy. In other parts of Denver, sure, there's not overt "you will get hurt" racism. I've seen cops rough up folks with darker skin, though, and I've heard a LOT of bigoted comments here in Colorado. Folks are nice to Hispanics, but treat many (especially if the person who is Hispanic is lower income, less formally educated, speaks with an accent, etc.) with an "other" form of respect. Depending on what you want (be in a mainstream downtown population, find a spot to raise a family) and, to be honest, how you "present", there may be neighborhoods that feel more welcoming than others. Denver is going through a lot of change, particularly with so many people moving here. Small towns are totally different--some better, some worse. I identify as Hispanic, but most of all, I hear ignorant comments. After that, I hear flat-out judgmental comments. Most of all, though, life is good, fine, and happy. You will find your spot, but in Denver proper, I would not say it is dangerous for you to go out anywhere in particular. That being said, don't go looking for trouble, as my mom always taught me.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:57 PM

76 posts, read 101,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I'm a black dude, and have had zero issues here. I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable, I spent three years in South Carolina LOL. Being from DC, one of the most racially diverse cities in the country, SC was a complete culture shock, which is why I left there as fast as possible.

We live in Parker, CO...which is less than 1% black. People are very friendly, and we've never gotten any nasty looks. When my wife and I are out and about in Parker at Costco, Safeway, gas station, movie theater, etc...nobody ever looks at us like we don't belong.

Like I said, I feel like I can relate when you mention some racial tensions in Texas, because South Carolina probably wans't much better. But you will find no issues like that here in Denver. There isn't a very big black population here in the Denver metro area (compared to most big cities), but there are no racial tensions. I find Denver's citizens to be some of the friendliest of any city I've lived.
any bars or Lounges you recommend that are diverse?

Thanks a million

Old 01-18-2016, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 815 times
It's going to depend on the neighborhood. For instance, there are very few Blacks in Golden, CO but no overt racism in the city center, although the brown people going to the college sometimes report problems. Town folk tend to minimize those issues, citing "Town and Gown" problems supposedly normal to a city with a colleges. OTOH, there's one neighborhood that used to have a lot of skinhead wannabees and sovereign citizens that would make your life uncomfortable. But luckily housing prices have shot up in Golden and more educated persons are moving in.

I worked with Texans and traveled for business there and was scared out of my wits by the bigotry -- and I'm white. Leave Texas and feel much more safe in the Denver area. Just avoid the neighborhoods with yellow flags and confederate flags.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 PM

5,440 posts, read 8,110,118 times
I'm a black man who's lived in a majority white suburban area most of my life. Wherever you go, there is likely to be a few people who weren't brought up right and say/do racist things. With that said, Denver (in my experiences) is generally accepting place and racism isn't prevalent like it may be in the South (although it does occur). You should be fine here.

And although Denver lacks diversity, there is no shortage of minorities/cultures here like stats will lead you to believe (at least not in Denver city proper). Denver's growth over the years has brought in a lot of different types of people/cultures that are becoming a lot more noticeable. Coming from an area that's very white, I actually get a little shocked/excited to see the diverse place Denver is slowly becoming. It will likely never be among the Houstons, Torontos or NYCs of the world when it comes to diversity, however.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:24 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
One thing for sure, the word "diversity" isn't everywhere. That's ok with some people and not with others. There are those that live in an almost all white area and find it fine. And, there are those that require diversity and complain when they don't see it in the area they moved to. All a person has to do is look up the demographics of a city/town and then make the decision of whether to move there or not.

If people chose a more "non-diverse" area to live, that should be entire up to them. If people are looking for "diversity" where they want to live, again, that's up to them. But, one thing to always remember, diversity is not everywhere and some folks are ok with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or