Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taos View Post
It's going to depend on the neighborhood. For instance, there are very few Blacks in Golden, CO but no overt racism in the city center, although the brown people going to the college sometimes report problems. Town folk tend to minimize those issues, citing "Town and Gown" problems supposedly normal to a city with a colleges. OTOH, there's one neighborhood that used to have a lot of skinhead wannabees and sovereign citizens that would make your life uncomfortable. But luckily housing prices have shot up in Golden and more educated persons are moving in.

I worked with Texans and traveled for business there and was scared out of my wits by the bigotry -- and I'm white. Leave Texas and feel much more safe in the Denver area. Just avoid the neighborhoods with yellow flags and confederate flags.
I've never seen a confederate flag anywhere in metro Denver. This isn't Alabama... and I have no clue what "yellow flags" means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,809,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've never seen a confederate flag anywhere in metro Denver. This isn't Alabama... and I have no clue what "yellow flags" means.
Me thinks: https://www.google.com/search?q=don%...4ABr4Q_AUIBygC

Old 01-21-2016, 08:54 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,809,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
There is one flying at 64th and Lamar, if you're interested in seeing one live in the flesh.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 AM

897 posts, read 1,246,853 times
Agreed on Denver being progressive, liberal, and tolerant; however, we still live in CO

Group’s prom picture with guns and a Confederate flag causes controversy | FOX31 Denver

Not wanting to scare the OP at all, Denver Boulder and IMO summit county are great places. I wouldn't quite paint the entire state the same way.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:04 PM

387 posts, read 353,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezy303 View Post
Where did you get this stat from?

Ethnic demographics for metro Denver as of 2014 (from a Denver government affiliated site) indicate the following:

White - 65.9%
Black - 5%
Asian - 4%
Hispanic - 22.2%

Metro Denver Ethnicity | Metro Denver

To the OP, if you're Hispanic, I believe you'd be right at home here. As a person of "color" myself, I've never had any racism directed towards me personally. However, I couldn't say for certain whether you'd experience it yourself. It would really depend on the situations you find yourself in and the people you associate with. I can say for certain that Denver is very progressive and nothing reminiscent of the South. Also, Hispanic culture in Denver and Colorado is fairly strong as far as I can tell.

*edit* Found the figure you're referring to. You need to look at those numbers closely. The government census clearly states that
White alone (non-Hispanic or Latino) is 53.4%.

Denver County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The census indicates that the city/county of Denver is the following:

White (non-Hispanic) - 53.4%
Black - 10.2%
Asian - 3.8%
Hispanic - 30.8%

The White alone (combination of White Hispanics and Caucasians) stat line is basically meaningless. If you look up Miami-Dade County, you'll see that it states that they're 77.9% White alone, which we all know is far from reality..

Miami-Dade County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Most of the Hispanics in Miami-Dade ARE White.....Most Cubans and South Americans are White with little mixture with other races....I'm Italian (family from Sicily) and I am darker skin toned than many Cubans in South Florida.....and about equal to most Argentinians/Ricans/Venezuelans....

Denver is different because the Hispanic population is almost entirely Mexican who tend to be mixed (through some Mexicans are very White looking aswell...especially in California where alot of Mexicans look White) still Colorado is a very "White" state in general....

Last edited by NY to Chicago; 01-21-2016 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 08:20 PM

117 posts, read 137,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Most of the Hispanics in Miami-Dade ARE White.....Most Cubans and South Americans are White with little mixture with other races....I'm Italian (family from Sicily) and I am darker skin toned than many Cubans in South Florida.....and about equal to most Argentinians/Ricans/Venezuelans....

Denver is different because the Hispanic population is almost entirely Mexican who tend to be mixed (through some Mexicans are very White looking aswell...especially in California where alot of Mexicans look White) still Colorado is a very "White" state in general....
Ethnicity is much more than the color of ones skin. Many east Asians are whiter in color than whites of European descent, does that make them more "white" in the traditional sense? Didn't think so. No one would go to San Fransisco and call it "white" after seeing the sheer number of pale skinned Chinese-Americans crowding the city.

You know as well as I that when people refer to a place being "white," they're referring to the ethnic backgrounds of the people that inhabit said city, not the damn shade of whiteness..

Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 PM

573 posts, read 329,219 times
Quote:
There is one flying at 64th and Lamar, if you're interested in seeing one live in the flesh.
I know TX has the "Don't Tread On Me" license plates, and as I was going to link a pic of one, I noticed that there was a petition for a CO one. Is there any?
https://www.ar-15.co/threads/128345-...-T-TREAD-ON-ME!

I miss my CU Alumni plates when I lived in CO. The DFW Alumni is trying to get Buff plates in TX though.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Oh... THOSE people lol! I don't see those flying in Denver either. Every great now and then I'll see one on a truck alongside a Ron Paul sticker. But it's not common.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,150,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybentherars View Post
Now before people jump in this thread and attack me.
I'm a colored man from Texas moving to Denver for work.
In the south racism is still strong and there are certain places you just don't go. I had to learn the hard way that even in 2015, racial tensions in certain parts of Texas are still high. And I've had a few runs going to the wrong place i.e. bar/club etc in which I'm blessed to still have my life. I have new career opportunity in Denver and I just wanna let loose and party a bit as well and meet new people!!!

I'm wondering what places are safe for me to go to that are racially open and diverse i.e. Lounges/Bars/Clubs

thank you In advanced!
in an avalanche it will work out in your favor

Old 01-22-2016, 08:51 AM

302 posts, read 471,755 times
I lived in Denver for over 40 years. Anyone that says it's not diverse must not ever leave their house. In my experience, most people in Denver don't even notice or care what color you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver