Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 5,705 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I did not see any specific threads pertaining to my question so I apologize if this is a redundant thread. If you do happen to know of any threads similar to this one, please let me know so I can check them out, thanks!

I current reside in Albuquerque, NM and for the last 5ish years I have been wanting to relocate. I am a male, heterosexual, entering his mid 20s and I also have a BA. I currently work in the data field and make a pretty good salary here all things considered. It has always been one of my goals to move to a different state, ever since I can remember I wondered what it would be like to “start over” and build something. I have always admired people of any job, class, etc who took the lead to start their life somewhere else. I have always been on the cusp of deciding to ultimately leave but eventually I would change my mind after realizing I may fail and have to come back here due to financial reasons. However, now that I am finished with school and have a couple years of legitimate experience, I feel like it is the perfect time to start looking outside of New Mexico. I have always liked Colorado from when I would travel to there or through there. Always like the people, things to do, and just the overall landscape of Colorado. I have mostly lived in desert areas for most of my life so being around actual green environments has always excited me. I guess my “dream” scenario would be to live, at the most, 30-45 mins from Denver. Denver has what I and most people want as far as going out and doing things, however I have read that it can be pretty expensive as well. I have started to browse at job postings and feel like I could hopefully get a job that pays between 50-70k a year. I am not sure if that would be enough to live in Denver or a surrounding suburb/city comfortably. Living in ABQ is pretty cheap. You can find a nice 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area for between $750-$900. You are probably wondering why I don’t just make my life here. Well New Mexico is at the bottom of all the good lists and at the top of all the bad lists. I think forbes recently had us as the worst run state. ABQ especially is in the top 5 in crime rate per capita among other things. Our murder rate went up 50% from 2 years ago and we have A LOT of career criminals thanks to our laws and justice system here. Education is low, drug use is high, and employment is low. If there was a ranking of states Im sure we would be between 47-50. Having said all that there is a few nice things about living here. The weather and the traffic. We get all 4 seasons here and even when it shows its usually not an overwhelming amount. However, people here do not know how to drive in snow or maybe don’t care. A few weeks ago we had about 4 inches and in one day we had 200 accidents. The police department actually just told people to not drive until the next day. Traffic is pretty nice except for rush hours. I can get anywhere I need to in less than 15-20mins. But as you can tell, the pros don’t outweigh the cons, well for me. If you all could provide me some info on what I would need to live in Colorado that would be appreciated. Oh I do have some questions that I would like answered.

How does the state react when there is a good amount of snow roads wise? I have a Honda civic so I am hoping I wont have to get a newer SUV or truck…

What is a good salary to live off of? I am not a big spender but I like to just being able to go out in a moments notice without having to check my bank account constantly.
What cities would be similar to ABQ prices wise? I am open to living in a more expensive area if it means I will actually be happy living there because I am happy being here.

Anyways, thanks again for everything! If you have any questions that could better help you help me just let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:34 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
What cities would be similar to ABQ prices wise? I am open to living in a more expensive area if it means I will actually be happy living there because I am happy being here.
Don't understand the meaning of this as you write "I am happy being here."???

However, Colorado is beautiful. There is marijuana! What's not to like?! Truly a Rocky Mountain high. However, the SNOW! Denver is great to visit, especially when attending a conference. Except, the SNOW. I have lived in Colorado - Grand Junction. Um, SNOW. Never again. Because, the SNOW! However, I think you could love it there.

As for New Mexico...? Here's a recent 'rating' (from TRAVEL RANT: The Definitive and Final Ranking of All 50 States, Thrillist, June 30, 2015

Quote:
23. New Mexico
GREEN. CHILE. Also sand. And, like, pretty good skiing.
...and not to mention: Santa Fe. White Sands. History. Culture. Art. Architecture. Native America. Family. Desert. Mountains. More CHILE. Sufficient Snow. SUN! 'Nuff said.

Bon voyage and all the best. Go where you will be happy. You will always be welcome when you return to New Mexico for a visit ...and CHILE can be shipped.

Signed,
The Land of Enchantment : )

Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
Since you're young make the move. It will be a move to a hub city, but I think you might like it. Rents are higher, more congestion, more waiting, live near work or a light rail station. Moving will open your perspective and help you appreciate home. I like ABQ but moved to Denver. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:29 AM

Tangelag - Sorry about that crappy sentence structure. I meant that I would pay a little more to enjoy actually living in that particular area in colorado.

NM is a good place to visit. I am never surprised when people want to go there for a week but living there is a whole different animal haha

Alloo66- Thank you. DO you have any advice from when you decided to make the move?? I think I am at the right moment in the life to do this since I am not married nor have kids.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:41 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingaway25 View Post
Tangelag - Sorry about that crappy sentence structure. I meant that I would pay a little more to enjoy actually living in that particular area in colorado.

NM is a good place to visit. I am never surprised when people want to go there for a week but living there is a whole different animal haha

Alloo66- Thank you. DO you have any advice from when you decided to make the move?? I think I am at the right moment in the life to do this since I am not married nor have kids.
I think you are at the right moment as well. I've spent a lot of time in ABQ. Definitely prefer Denver. It's a much more friendly city to be out and about in. Plan for the increased cost of living, but I think it will be worth it.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:25 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingaway25 View Post
...my “dream” scenario would be to live, at the most, 30-45 mins from Denver. ...

How does the state react when there is a good amount of snow roads wise? I have a Honda civic so I am hoping I wont have to get a newer SUV or truck…

What is a good salary to live off of? I am not a big spender but I like to just being able to go out in a moments notice without having to check my bank account constantly.
Denver is a good leap for you. If you don't expect new and shiny but are ok with safe and affordable you will find something.

Denver isn't that great with snow. They clear the major roadways but not the residential areas. You may not be able to get out with a Civic. Try to find something on public transport so you have a back up at those times. Don't complain about the lack of snow clearing. We don't get that much to make the investment in the extra equipment worthwhile and the tradeoff of lower property taxes is worth it.

Can't help with the COL. While I've had family at different times live in ABQ we all view it as a backwards place so it seems if you want similar COL you would also get similar backwardsness and that doesn't seem like what you want.

I think you have a realistic view that you get what you pay for.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:37 AM

Skydog77- I think you are right. Whenever I went to COlorado I saw a lot more people walking and just out and about. There are some areas in ABQ where you can do that and not worry about safety but downtown isn't one of them.

Mic111- I've never been one who wanted a luxurious lifestyle. I'm fine with the simple things. Right now I am focusing on paying off my car and pay down some student loan debt so that when I do move I would have a better chance to succeed there.
Thank you for telling me about the snow. THat is probably my biggest fear considering I would be by myself up there and have rarely had to drive to work/school when it has snowed 6+ inches.

I understand how the world works. As you said, you get what you pay for. I am willing to pay to be in nicer, friendly area, and really just see what is out there. I have researched a little more and it seems like the metro area of Denver is the most pricey. Maybe I'll look for a job in fort collins or even greely?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:03 AM

112 posts, read 141,099 times
The Civic will be fine here. Lots of people drive them or similar cars year round.

If your commute is long you may want snow tires during the winter. I commuted 30ish miles down i70 in the worst of snow in a Honda Prelude with the old Michelin Alpin Primacy tires (I think they have something newer now) and it was much better than driving without snow tires.

As for the rest, It'll probably be easy since as you said, not married and no kids. Then you can live anywhere with roommates or whatever.

I would look at apartments near employment before deciding on which area. You can spend 2-3 hours roundtrip commuting if you work in one area but live in the other.

And what salary you need really depends on your budget and debt. Do you have a car payment? Student loans? Credit card debt? One person can make it work on $40k or less with no debt and low expenses, but the other with student loans, car payment, etc. may need $70k to afford a 1 bedroom apartment.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM

GreenTea -

Okay, I am glad I would be mostly fine with a civic. SNow tires are cheaper than a getting another vehicle.

I had to live with a roommate here for about 6 months. Didn't really like, would prefer to live by myself but I'll have to see how it works out financially since the smarter decision might be to live with a roommate there.

Wow that is pretty crazy. Definitely don't want that type of commute. Wherever I get a job i'll make sure to look for a place nearby.

I don't have too much debt. I have about $300 a month total in student debt and that is pretty much it. Hoping to pay off my car which will free up another $400 (been paying almost double the payment). Honestly, I mostly spend my money on food. I do not go out here much besides the movies, dinner, occasional concert. I think if I were around Denver I would be spending more money on going out but being broke through college has taught me budgeting skills. I am hoping that I could live off worst case 40k a year and then just start working my way up eventually.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it immensely.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:35 PM

112 posts, read 141,099 times
I would definitely have the car paid off before moving here.

And if you do move out here, then check out a concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater. It's awesome and they have several different genres that perfom each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver