U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,063 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the insight. We have never had a problem finding work anywhere else and it seems like overall Denver will be the same. The rental market in Denver is amazing to us, but we are moving from Chicago so we are use to high prices and intense competition to find a place.

David Aguilar, may I ask what makes it so difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 AM

13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah131313 View Post
Thank you for all the insight. We have never had a problem finding work anywhere else and it seems like overall Denver will be the same. The rental market in Denver is amazing to us, but we are moving from Chicago so we are use to high prices and intense competition to find a place.

David Aguilar, may I ask what makes it so difficult?
Hard to find good people, equally as hard to keep them, because there is plenty "better" to jump up to at virtually any time.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,063 times
David Aguilar,

That makes sense, sucks for the employers but I am excited to hear there are opportunities.

Thank you.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:52 AM

117 posts, read 111,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah131313 View Post
..The rental market in Denver is amazing to us, but we are moving from Chicago so we are use to high prices and intense competition to find a place..
Wut?? The rental market in Denver is far more competitive and expensive than Chicago.

I know this from experience..

Old 01-16-2016, 06:19 AM

944 posts, read 1,254,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yep, as an employer, it sucks.
This just means employers need to compete for more employees which raises wages and starts the cycle of development again! I'd rather live in a growing Denver than a declining one! Denver needs to continue to invest in infrastructure, education, and it will continue to grow and have a good quality of life. Now if the Federal Government would get on board, we'd be set.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 668 times
FWIW my wife and I decided we were moving to Denver last year. In mid October of 2015 I put my 2 weeks notice in at a very nice job in Florida. By the end of the month I had 3 offers on the table for employment in Denver with high salaries - mind you none of the interviews were done in person. When I landed in Colorado on Halloween I had a job already lined up. My wife, who's career path is a little more specialized and jobs are harder to come by got a job in December. I would say the job market in and around Denver is super hot if you are educated/skilled. I had every intent of moving out to Colorado without a job and searching for one when I got here. I expected it to take awhile too to find a good job. I was so wrong. Turns out putting my resume up on the job sites was enough to trigger a flurry of opportunities before I even set foot here.

Rent/housing is insane here coming from Florida where the housing situation was dirt cheap. It was a bit of sticker shock however the higher paying salaries in Colorado balanced it out. Renting a modest 2/2 apartment in the popular areas (near downtown / light rail) can run anywhere from $1500 - $3000. Cheaper rents can be had if you don't need to be in the "core". Buying an OK house around Denver seems to start around $300,000 - $350,000 for nothing special.

Make the move, Colorado is so epic. We are so happy we moved out of Florida!

Old 01-23-2016, 07:52 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
Yes, I sometimes wonder if the underlining thought for some people to move to the Denver area is.........."we can legally smoke pot!" Most people moving aren't going to state that, but wonder how many have that in their minds. Then again, there are those that hope they don't run into folks that love to use it and possibly smell like it.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:45 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,201,871 times
OP is gone.
4 posts and done.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes, I sometimes wonder if the underlining thought for some people to move to the Denver area is.........."we can legally smoke pot!" Most people moving aren't going to state that, but wonder how many have that in their minds. Then again, there are those that hope they don't run into folks that love to use it and possibly smell like it.

Look through the forum for additional info, but there is A LOT more going on than people moving here for pot. Enough so I wouldn't even say it is an underlying thought.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:31 PM

549 posts, read 225,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I say it unashamedly -- part of the appeal of my (future) move to Denver will be that I can legally indulge.

I don't drink (don't like the buzz or the aftereffects), and I don't currently smoke (don't like the idea of consuming an "underground" product or buying it from drug dealers)... I don't take any sort of pharmaceuticals (thank the lord)... but in Denver, by golly, I will smoke weed.

Mary jane & mother nature -- two of my lifelong loves. Add in lots of sunshine, hiking, biking, snowboarding and I think I've found a great place to spend the one or two nanoseconds left of my "youth"...

My old job was in marketing communications... Do you think they'll do drug testing for that kind of position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or