Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 09:38 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times

Advertisements

Could I get some input from Denver locals regarding these 2 areas?

Whatever info you could give re: buying a home in either place, comparison-wise.

Some topics I'd like covered:

crime
neighborhoods
school districts-which town has better schools
demographics
proximity to shopping
proximity to skiing
property taxes
HOA's
snowfall amts

Thanks ahead of time!
2wolves from FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Disclaimer: Thornton and Northglenn might as well be the same place. Thornton kind of wraps around Northglenn like a horseshoe. So pardon me for not bothering to differentiate between them.

1. crime:
I'd say about average between the both of them. Thornton is very large, however, and probably varies by neighborhood.

2. neighborhoods:
Mostly inner-ring, 50-70s style homes, brick ranches to tri-levels. Thornton is typical suburban sprawl, going north and east.

3. school districts-which town has better schools
Don't know, but probably about the same, maybe even same district.

4. demographics
mostly white and hispanic families

5. proximity to shopping
Can be found on any of the major roads. 84th, 104th, 120th, Colorado, et al.

6. proximity to skiing
probably at least an hour and a half to two hours

7. property taxes
beats me

8. HOA's
would say they would be more common in newer neighborhoods

9. snowfall amts
I believe officially around 60 inches per year. IMO, the northern suburbs along the I-25 corridor get noticeably less snow than Denver, Boulder or the S, W, E or NW suburbs. However, there are times when I'd have no snow at home in Aurora, yet would find some up in Thornton.

10. Thanks ahead of time!
you're welcome

11. 2wolves from FL
David Aguilar in CO

Last edited by Count David; 11-07-2008 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Disclaimer

Old 11-07-2008, 11:17 AM

402 posts, read 1,266,476 times
I'd agree with most of what David said. I'll try to add to it to fill in some of the blanks:

2) Neighboorhoods: It really does depend on the area of the towns. Most are the older brick homes, but there's a number of new townhomes, houses and apartments when you start to get to the north/eastern side of the towns. One thing worth mentioning is that if you're thinking of buying an older home pay close attention to the foundation. Colorado soil is netorious for expanding/contracting and destroying foundations.... I can't remember the type of soil that does it, but it can be under one house and destroy it but not be under the houses next to it and they could be fine.

6) Proximity to skiing: Hour and a half from door to parking lot of Keystone, given no traffic or accidents of course. Add a half hour to get to Vail, subtract 20 minutes to get to Loveland.

7)property taxes: depends on the house and the area. Best resource is a web site called zillow (Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information | Zillow Real Estate) It gives you a ton of information on the specific houses you're looking at... what they sold for, what school system they are in, the taxes, etc. The value estimates are off because it hasn't really adjusted completely with the decline, but everything else was pretty dead on when I bought my place.

8) HOA's: it really depends on the neighborhood. I have one, but my friend in the neighborhood a mile away doesn't. I did notice that there seems to be some huge differences in HOA dues from one neighborhood to the next though... and it never seemed to correlate to what the neighborhoods offered either. I have one friend that pays almost half of what I do and they have a 9 hole golf course; confuses the heck out of me.

9) snowfall: hit and miss I think... depends on the winter, which directions the storms come from. But I'd probably agree that most of the time the towns along the front range get more typically.

10. Thanks ahead of time!
Hopefully it helps

11. 2wolves from FL
Pete in Thornton

Old 11-07-2008, 11:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
You can look up crime statistics on city-data's main page for each of these places, also demographics. Snow is hit and miss. The same storm can bring different amounts to every little micro-location. The general averages are about the same all over the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver