U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 PM

18 posts, read 11,545 times

Advertisements

I moved here for the dank memes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,584,609 times
Yes, but no Bull Elk or large rodeo's.........like in Colorado.
Do you have any good size (nice purse) PRCA rodeo's or USTRC ropings there?
Does the Adams Ranch allow visitors? I just looked at their website, but nothing on it about visitors. Is this ranch a fully working "cow/calf" operation? I do see some great looking beef cattle, like I did in Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
You just must be in the wrong area of Florida . I grew up in Fort Pierce which is a town with lots of agriculture. We have quite a few ranches a few miles west. I love Adams Ranch. A beautiful place to visit and there are lots of cowboy hats and lace-up ropers! Okeechobee is another town where you would probably feel right at home!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:08 AM

It should never be made THAT public (bottom paragraph). Anybody with a nose can smell the stuff and not everyone likes that smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I agree with that. I'd say people smoking weed while grocery shopping is no more common than smoking a regular cigarette or drinking a beer while grocery shopping. Doing any of those activities while grocery shopping *is* out of place. There's a time and place for everything...

...With that said, I don't think it seems so out of place or inaporopriate to smoke weed on a sidewalk in an entertainment district where it's one bar and club after another and people are on the sidewalk drinking beer while in between the bars and clubs. I also don't think it's so out place, or inappropriate, to sit at a picnic table in a park and smoke a joint or smoke a joint while taking a walk thru a public park. As long as your discreet, cant nobody say your setting a bad example "for the kids", and you ain't hurting nobody, anyways, so who really cares and what does it matter?

Old 01-26-2016, 07:13 AM

Wondering......are more people moving to Denver proper, than say to Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Parker, Lone Tree, Castle Rock? These areas are not part of "immediate" Denver.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:38 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,102,539 times
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Serious question, are people THAT into weed that they would specifically move to Colorado just because it's legal? I mean, weed is pretty easy to get in the states that it isn't legal. High school kids across America aren't exactly drug smuggling super villains here, they're just teenagers looking to get high. How hard could it possibly be to find weed?
I wouldn't move to Colorado solely for the weed, but, for example, if i had a job opportunity between Colorado and say Arizona or Florida, and everything else is equal I would probably choose the job in Colorado because of the legal weed. That is definitely an incentive.

I bet there are some people who move to Colorado just for the weed. I think eventually weed will be legal in most states, if not all, within the next 10 to 15 years or so.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:38 AM

3,042 posts, read 2,073,491 times
Quote:
I don't think it seems so out of place or inaporopriate to smoke weed on a sidewalk in an entertainment district where it's one bar and club after another and people are on the sidewalk drinking beer while in between the bars and clubs. I also don't think it's so out place, or inappropriate, to sit at a picnic table in a park and smoke a joint or smoke a joint while taking a walk thru a public park. As long as your discreet, cant nobody say your setting a bad example "for the kids", and you ain't hurting nobody, anyways, so who really cares and what does it matter?
Except that public use is expressly prohibited in the way the laws are written currently. Does it happen, sure, but it isn't a free for all in that regard. I also have to say that people carrying beer and liquor between establishments is similarly prohibited here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Serious question, are people THAT into weed that they would specifically move to Colorado just because it's legal? I mean, weed is pretty easy to get in the states that it isn't legal. High school kids across America aren't exactly drug smuggling super villains here, they're just teenagers looking to get high. How hard could it possibly be to find weed?
Exactly. Illegal weed isn't hard to get anywhere. 23 states have medical marijuana laws on the books. 3 states and DC have legalized it for recreation. Colorado is not that unique in that regard. All legalization has done is created a revenue source for local government, a whole new industry in growth, distribution, monitoring, and measuring. To say people are flocking to Colorado because of legal weed discounts all teh other economic and social growth we have for other reasons that are driving a vast majority or relocation ahead of weed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wondering......are more people moving to Denver proper, than say to Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Parker, Lone Tree, Castle Rock? These areas are not part of "immediate" Denver.
Its all along the front range. Colorado added 100,000 people last year. Denver proper couldn't absorb that. Population is going up from Trinidad to Ft Collins, although some areas do see higher percentages than others, Denver metro being the leader.

The state has not changed radically since 2007 when you left, other than it has a whole lot more people, traffic, congestion, bars and restaurants, etc. More people means more of everything...more attendance at the Grizzley Rose, more attendance at the Greeley Stampede, more attendance at the State Fair, more boats on Chatfield, lines to get into Cherry Creek. As you know, Colorado is what you make it. If you want it to be casual western, then it will be.If you want it to be urban cool, it can be.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:38 AM

556 posts, read 575,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizo View Post
I moved here for the dank memes
Is reddit bleeding in to this site now?!

Old 01-26-2016, 12:19 PM

We didn't take our bowrider to CC on Father's Day, but did drive in and down to the ramp. We were amazed at how many vehicles were in line, w/boats and wave runners hooked up to them, along the road. The line stretched from close to the main gate to the boat ramp. Most of the time, we only had a short wait in a line in the parking lot next to the ramp. Of course, it also helped that we were at CC at 8AM.

Chatfield mainly got busy at the time we were pulling our boat out. There again, we were prepping our boat between 8 and 8:30AM. By 9AM, we were in the No Wake area fishing. We did have to wait in the ramp area water to get a spot to retrieve the boat out. I've always been an early riser from my old farming days in Indiana to being in the Navy. So, I'd be up at 6AM hooking the boat/trailer up to our Durango and loading the boat with fishing equipment. By 6:30 AM, I was done and woke up my wife. She got ready and we took off. Sometimes, we'd even stop at the Mc Donald's in Parker for a short breakfast. Sometimes we'd leave the boat hooked up and go out the next day (Sunday) after early church.
Looking forward to doing it all again........even in our mid/late 60's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Except that public use is expressly prohibited in the way the laws are written currently. Does it happen, sure, but it isn't a free for all in that regard. I also have to say that people carrying beer and liquor between establishments is similarly prohibited here.

Exactly. Illegal weed isn't hard to get anywhere. 23 states have medical marijuana laws on the books. 3 states and DC have legalized it for recreation. Colorado is not that unique in that regard. All legalization has done is created a revenue source for local government, a whole new industry in growth, distribution, monitoring, and measuring. To say people are flocking to Colorado because of legal weed discounts all teh other economic and social growth we have for other reasons that are driving a vast majority or relocation ahead of weed.

Its all along the front range. Colorado added 100,000 people last year. Denver proper couldn't absorb that. Population is going up from Trinidad to Ft Collins, although some areas do see higher percentages than others, Denver metro being the leader.

The state has not changed radically since 2007 when you left, other than it has a whole lot more people, traffic, congestion, bars and restaurants, etc. More people means more of everything...more attendance at the Grizzley Rose, more attendance at the Greeley Stampede, more attendance at the State Fair, more boats on Chatfield, lines to get into Cherry Creek. As you know, Colorado is what you make it. If you want it to be casual western, then it will be.If you want it to be urban cool, it can be.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:23 PM

930 posts, read 534,373 times
I came here for work and quality of life, which is significantly better than where I grew up in Metro Detroit. I think a lot of people come here for the sunny weather. However, the last couple of years Denver has had much more precipitation.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:10 PM

549 posts, read 225,346 times
Quote:
...With that said, I don't think it seems so out of place or inaporopriate to smoke weed on a sidewalk in an entertainment district where it's one bar and club after another and people are on the sidewalk drinking beer while in between the bars and clubs. I also don't think it's so out place, or inappropriate, to sit at a picnic table in a park and smoke a joint or smoke a joint while taking a walk thru a public park. As long as your discreet, cant nobody say your setting a bad example "for the kids", and you ain't hurting nobody, anyways, so who really cares and what does it matter?
I gotta disagree. I don't think it's right to impose it on anyone. A lot of people are politically (and otherwise) sensitive about weed. I say it's easy enough to just respect their desire to live smoke-free, as long as we have the right to buy and indulge in private. No need to put it in their faces and ruin the social experiment that is legal weed.

That being said, legal weed is a big draw. Combine that with jobs, outdoor activities, sunshine, mountains, and a great locale to invite friends & family to visit, and Denver really seems to be the shangri-la for some.

I'm planning to make the move... And if it weren't for legal weed, I'd consider other destinations.

Legal weed makes denver that much more appealing as a destination. Not sure how much it would do for let's say, phoenix or detroit or memphis, but it seems the "icing on the cake" for denver...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver