U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are toll roads a failure in Colorado?
Yes 18 56.25%
No 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:11 AM

411 posts, read 1,151,300 times

Advertisements

IMHO Toll roads and privatized roads are an abomination - restricting peoples' freedom of movement, and an indication of improper use of Government / local authorities' tax money (originally collected from the very same people). BOO to toll roads and greedy Banksters and companies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:26 AM

138 posts, read 129,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
IMHO Toll roads and privatized roads are an abomination - restricting peoples' freedom of movement, and an indication of improper use of Government / local authorities' tax money (originally collected from the very same people). BOO to toll roads and greedy Banksters and companies!
How do the toll roads in Colorado restrict peoples' movement?

The way Colorado is setting up toll infrastructure, like the addition of the a lane each way on US-36, is a public-private partnership. The company eats the cost of building and maintaining the infrastructure, and has to make the money back through tolls. Supposedly if they lose money the state will not be on the hook for their losses, so the impact to taxpayers isn't there.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:01 PM

387 posts, read 273,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My property taxes here are far lower here than in VA.

This chart says we're 38th on the list.
That same chart ranks Virginia at 41st in the nation for overall tax burden. Their gas tax is about the same as Colorado's as well. They seem to get by without a ton of toll roads.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
That same chart ranks Virginia at 41st in the nation for overall tax burden. Their gas tax is about the same as Colorado's as well. They seem to get by without a ton of toll roads.
They have:

DC Metro
-----------------
Dulles Toll Road
Dulles Greenway
495/95 Express Lanes

Richmond:
-------------
Downtown Expressway
Boulevard Bridge
Pocahontas Parkway

Norfolk Area:
----------------
George P Coleman Bridge
Chesapeake Bay Tunnel
Chesapeake Expressway
Jordan Bridge
Downtown/Midtown Tunnels

Old 02-01-2016, 04:49 PM

One state that really stands out is New Jersey. They have crazy toll roads, higher sales tax, insane property taxes, and a pretty high income tax.

Edit: <Note: Higher sales tax means higher than many other states; income tax is higher for those at higher incomes>.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:41 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,837,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
Gas taxes are more than double in PA than they are in CO. PA has the highest gas tax per gallon in the nation. When we're talking about revenue for roads, this is significant.
Interesting. I didn't know that. When I lived there, I mostly got my gas in NJ, as I lived 4 miles from the state line and was there frequently. As I recall, the difference was usually about 20 cents/gal. Guess the difference in gas tax was blunted by being all full-serve (required by law).

Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 AM

411 posts, read 1,151,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
How do the toll roads in Colorado restrict peoples' movement?
If I have to pay in order to get from point A to point B, and there is no reasonably-distanced alternate route, then that's a case of restricting my freedom of movement. Classic old form of feudalism.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
If I have to pay in order to get from point A to point B, and there is no reasonably-distanced alternate route, then that's a case of restricting my freedom of movement. Classic old form of feudalism.
Which road or roads does this happen on?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:00 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,856,890 times
Quote:
Explain to us where you are FORCED to pay in order to get from Point A to Point B. I can get anywhere I want to in this state without having to pay a dime in tolls.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:29 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,354,519 times
Quote:
E-470 restricts movement if somebody doesn't want to pay. Paying for tolls on I-70 west of Idaho Springs restricts movement if traffic is heavy and driver refuses to pay for expensive tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver