U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM

6,910 posts, read 6,510,604 times

Advertisements

I find Lawrence KS to be a great place to stop. It's 8 hours from Denver and is a great college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 PM

7 posts, read 3,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Something to also keep in mind is that services and hotels are few and far between on I-70 once you get West of Topeka. We once drove from Columbia, MO (where we were living at the time) to Colorado and soon got into that part of KS where there is nothing. We finally made it to Hays, KS exhausted around 2 am and paid over $200 for a Holiday Inn because it was the only place available for miles that wasn't sold out due to some college graduation.

OP, plan out your trip and decide where to stop ahead of time.
Safety first! Glad you made it safely and thank you I will keep that in mind. I do plan to reserve a hotel on Lawrence, KS or Kansas City ahead of time and am pretty sure I will make it on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Take 70 but plan on taking your time. I drove out to Jersey on it in December last year (came back in January) and I had no problems whatsoever except in Kansas. The wind there is terrible, and when things ice over it can get really bad.

Don't believe all the pot hype. The only people I know who moved here because of the pot are people who use it heavily for medical purposes (my one buddy has two major degenerative diseases that will likely land him in a wheelchair within a decade) or decided to invest in a business. Personally, I never tried it until I moved out here in my 30s and now I am a very occasional user for medical purposes (and about twice a year recreationally).

Housing here is very expensive and the cost of living is fairly high, but the Colorado economy overall isn't bad. If you have family and a support system already in place, you'll be fine, I think. What's your field?

As for culture, well, I'm from Jersey. I've noticed that I can be the noisiest person in the room a lot and often the most foul-mouthed.
I do plan on taking my time especially since a big snow storm is passing through the midwest and leaving Wednesday. I'll be leaving that Friday so the storm will be over and hopefully the roads clear.

Everything in moderation and for sure, I don't believe all the pot hype but can't help but realize that the culture is way different then Washington, D.C. where it's recreationally legal so you'll smell in the air but there aren't any dispensaries anywhere to be found. I can tell that not everyone smokes and it's not the only thing that makes Colorado, Colorado because just job searching it seems like most employers put a heavy emphasis on hiring non-smokers and have drug screens.

The cost of living cannot be as ridiculous as it is in Washington D.C. or Northern Virginia (where I grew up and moved from). I hope I will be fine, I've been applying for all kinds of jobs and haven't had a response yet. I studied food science & technology and am hoping to land a lab technician gig, quality assurance tech, or food technologist position but will do anything in the meantime to pay rent ($575 including everything with a roommate)

That's funny, people seem to hate New Jersey but I have made great friends during my college days with people that grew up from New Jersey and have nothing but love for Jersey. Seems very similar to where I grew up (Northern Virginia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I find Lawrence KS to be a great place to stop. It's 8 hours from Denver and is a great college town.

Thanks I'll keep note of that. It looks like I'll be leaving from Blacksburg, VA actually and plan on taking I-70 and probably stopping at Lawrence, KS or Kansas City. If anyone has any tips on how I can save money on a hotel or any better ideas for one night of lodging please let me know. Thanks everyone for the helpful input, it's much appreciated since I've never driven across the country before.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,836,900 times
As for hotels once you pick out a hotel go on expedia, etc to check prices. When I was driving back from Miami I stopped at a LaQuinta where it was $99 for the night. The lady informed me that the guy in front of me paid $59 on expedia for same room.

Very odd story to say: The guy in front of me was somebody I followed out of Macon, GA for quite some time. We lost each other somewhere and he ended up in front of me in this hotel!! I was like very odd. Then the check in lady used to live literally 15 minutes from my parents in Miami!! This was all occurring in Illinois. Gave me the heebeegeebees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or