U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Denver county repeal it's open carry ban?
Yes 19 41.30%
No 27 58.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times
Reputation: 2657

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
If you're in a group, armed or otherwise, than what are the chances that you're going to get assaulted? Statistically you've just plummeted to the bottom.

But if you're part of an armed group of friends than I better just lure you into a complex ambush organized by my armed group of friends who are better organized. So you than need to think about that and get a larger group of armed friends and begin to organize....
Why would 2 different groups go on a rampage against each other? That doesn't happen for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
898 posts, read 987,562 times
Reputation: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Why would 2 different groups go on a rampage against each other? That doesn't happen for no reason.
Why would someone go off and grope a woman that is surrounded by a group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Why would someone go off and grope a woman that is surrounded by a group?
Because you have more perverts that dwell in big cities, duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
898 posts, read 987,562 times
Reputation: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Because you have more perverts that dwell in big cities, duh.
doh! you're right, I guess I'm the idiot then. How could I not realize this????

Thank you for opening my eyes to the error of my ways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 AM
 
918 posts, read 983,858 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Because you have more perverts that dwell in big cities, duh.
That makes no logical sense for your argument. So because there are more perverts in big cities they are going to grope people in large groups. Therefore all members of the group should be armed?

Is your argument that no one is safe unless they are openly armed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Reputation: 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That makes no logical sense for your argument. So because there are more perverts in big cities they are going to grope people in large groups. Therefore all members of the group should be armed?

Is your argument that no one is safe unless they are openly armed?
That dude has never let logic or data get in the way of an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That makes no logical sense for your argument. So because there are more perverts in big cities they are going to grope people in large groups. Therefore all members of the group should be armed?

Is your argument that no one is safe unless they are openly armed?
You're putting words in my mouth again. Perverts will avoid large groups of people, even if they're armed or not. They go for weakest link and the most vulnerable.

Just admit it, you dislike guns. There's nothing wrong disliking guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, they don't.

Page 10

These Student Conduct Policies set forth prohibited behavior for students:


http://www.du.edu/studentlife/studen...an_2015-16.pdf
Then they should repeal that policy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 01:55 PM
 
918 posts, read 983,858 times
Reputation: 1072
Let's deconstruct your argument:

You opened with the position that Denver should allow open carry. There were a couple of statements why people thought that open carry wasn't a good idea and preferred concealed carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
I agree with wong21fr

I have no strong opinions either way, but things are ok where they're at as far as I'm concerned. Getting a CHP isn't that hard, and open carry is a controversial topic anyway so why open this can of worms. I don't see many people OC'ing outside of Denver county anyway. I do know many people who CC.

I guess the question for the OP is why? Just because other cities do it? There are many cities that don't. Do you have any good reasons?
Then the question was asked what is the argument for open carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
You offered this example: because of perverts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Or I could just come up behind you and neutralize the threat. I already know you're armed and now have the advantage.

If you open carry you're instantly identified as a threat by an aggressor and lose any element of surprise in your response. Plus, I'm not sure how much of a deterrent factor open carry is compared to concealed carry- I personally don't think it is.
This statement explained a potential disadvantage of open carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Not going to happen if you have a group of friends that are open carry.
You countered that the disadvantage of open carry and the lack of the element of surprise could be negated by walking around in large groups of open carrying individuals. Which is a rather ridiculous argument, though valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
If you're in a group, armed or otherwise, than what are the chances that you're going to get assaulted? Statistically you've just plummeted to the bottom.

But if you're part of an armed group of friends than I had better just lure you into a complex ambush organized by my armed group of friends who are better organized. So you than need to think about that and get a larger group of armed friends and begin to organize....

.... ohhh, this is going to be fun.
I offered an absurd example to counter your absurd argument. But it does have the point that a group is far less likely to be targeted for a crime, including sexual assault by a pervert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Why would 2 different groups go on a rampage against each other? That doesn't happen for no reason.
Because it was an absurd counter to an absurd argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Why would someone go off and grope a woman that is surrounded by a group?
A legitimate counterpoint to your argument that people should open carry because of perverts. Being in a group would dramtically decrease the chance of someone being groped by a pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Because you have more perverts that dwell in big cities, duh.
You make the argument that the larger number of perverts in a large city versus other areas negates the advantage of being in large group- whether armed or not, imply that perverts will grope you so you should open carry because perverts can only be stopped by guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That makes no logical sense for your argument. So because there are more perverts in big cities they are going to grope people in large groups. Therefore all members of the group should be armed?

Is your argument that no one is safe unless they are openly armed?
The last part of this question wasn't answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
You're putting words in my mouth again. Perverts will avoid large groups of people, even if they're armed or not. They go for weakest link and the most vulnerable.
You agree that being in a large group neutralizes the pervert threat. However, this is inconsistent with your previous argument that perverts are more numerous in cities and that perverts can only be stopped by guns. I'm not putting words in your mouth, just using your own statements against you.

Quote:
Just admit it, you dislike guns. There's nothing wrong disliking guns.
I use firearms, probably quite a bit more than you ever have, and have no issue with them at all. I do have an issue with stupid, inconsistent arguments about why the current law should be changed.

Just admit it, you can't argue. There's nothing wrong with not being able to argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Let's deconstruct your argument:

You opened with the position that Denver should allow open carry. There were a couple of statements why people thought that open carry wasn't a good idea and preferred concealed carry.



Then the question was asked what is the argument for open carry.



You offered this example: because of perverts



This statement explained a potential disadvantage of open carry.



You countered that the disadvantage of open carry and the lack of the element of surprise could be negated by walking around in large groups of open carrying individuals. Which is a rather ridiculous argument, though valid.



I offered an absurd example to counter your absurd argument. But it does have the point that a group is far less likely to be targeted for a crime, including sexual assault by a pervert.



Because it was an absurd counter to an absurd argument.


A legitimate counterpoint to your argument that people should open carry because of perverts. Being in a group would dramtically decrease the chance of someone being groped by a pervert



You make the argument that the larger number of perverts in a large city versus other areas negates the advantage of being in large group- whether armed or not, imply that perverts will grope you so you should open carry because perverts can only be stopped by guns.



The last part of this question wasn't answered.



You agree that being in a large group neutralizes the pervert threat. However, this is inconsistent with your previous argument that perverts are more numerous in cities and that perverts can only be stopped by guns. I'm not putting words in your mouth, just using your own statements against you.



I use firearms, probably quite a bit more than you ever have, and have no issue with them at all. I do have an issue with stupid, inconsistent arguments about why the current law should be changed.

Just admit it, you can't argue. There's nothing wrong with not being able to argue.
I want to debate, and you want to argue. Both are completely different. People debate to state their differences in opinion, arguing is when somebody want to win the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Not necessary. Denver is a mixed bag politically compared to other areas that are big on open carry.

Way too many tree-hugging liberals that would be walking around downtown and freak out when seeing somebody with a pistol walking down 16th street.

And I say that as a tree-hugging liberal myself LOL. But I've had a CCW permit since 2001 and I carry a loaded pistol under my shirt everywhere I go. But I'm not super obsessive with the idea of parading around with it in full display like some weirdos are.
If I go into a business or am walking down the street and see someone carrying a guy, hell yeah I'm getting outta there! How on earth do I know what the gun holder's intentions are? How do I know if he's a "good guy" or someone about to start mowing people down? Open carry is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top