U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 AM

78 posts, read 77,049 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about this as well. It seems as tho there are tons of available homes for $300-$400k around the Denver area. If I were to make $75k as a software developer and my wife make $50k as an executive assistant, then those homes would definitely be within my range.

I am originally from San Diego and have been living in Cleveland for the past 2 years and this seems like a great deal compared to either city. Are my assumptions correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:19 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,491,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortey View Post
I was wondering about this as well. It seems as tho there are tons of available homes for $300-$400k around the Denver area. If I were to make $75k as a software developer and my wife make $50k as an executive assistant, then those homes would definitely be within my range.

I am originally from San Diego and have been living in Cleveland for the past 2 years and this seems like a great deal compared to either city. Are my assumptions correct?
Someone should jump in and correct me if I am wrong but you should be able to make more as a SW developer. They are in high demand and you likely will get multiple offers. $80K-$120K depending on skill set and experience. Executive assistants also make more. I would think $60K would be the starting range. You will also likely find the property tax less than you are used to so that will be a happy surprise. Your assumptions on homes being available in the $300K-$400K are correct.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 AM

Oh, I didn't know it would be that high. For anyone else that can provide more information, I have 2 (will have 2.5 when/if) years experience with .Net web development. Most of my focus is on the back-end and client side manipulation with not much design. So yeah, if someone could jump in and confirm mic111's post, that would be great for salary expectations.

Denver sure is beautiful! Thinking about stopping by in May for a visit after I go back to see family in San Diego.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:36 AM

46 posts, read 48,552 times
Quote:
Oh, I didn't know it would be that high. For anyone else that can provide more information, I have 2 (will have 2.5 when/if) years experience with .Net web development. Most of my focus is on the back-end and client side manipulation with not much design. So yeah, if someone could jump in and confirm mic111's post, that would be great for salary expectations.
I'm not sure about junior level developer salary anymore. But mid level developers should be able to get around $100K. Senior developers should be around $120K+ in a few companies I've worked at.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:34 AM

21,038 posts, read 11,669,686 times
According to salary.com, 60k is the median for an executive assistant in Denver, not the starting salary.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnk787 View Post
I'm not sure about junior level developer salary anymore. But mid level developers should be able to get around $100K. Senior developers should be around $120K+ in a few companies I've worked at.
Thanks for your insight. What would you consider mid level, year wise into the career to be? I figure I am somewhere between a junior and mid-level currently.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:13 PM

117 posts, read 111,423 times
Quote:
...I am originally from San Diego and have been living in Cleveland for the past 2 years and this seems like a great deal compared to either city. Are my assumptions correct?
San Diego, yes, but Cleveland?? Cleveland is one of the most affordable major cities in the US.

-The median home price for the Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor metro area is $132k.
-The median home price for the Denver-Aurora metro area is $353k.
-The median home price for the San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos metro area is $554.4k.

Apples to oranges to pears.

As you can see, Denver isn't even close to being a "great deal" in comparison to Cleveland.

Metropolitan Median Area Prices and Affordability | realtor.org

Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 PM

No, of course anywhere in the Cleveland metro is going to be cheaper but there are a lot of things that go into it, in my experience anyways. Before the wife and I moved out here, we saw these really cheap houses (TONS around $150k in great areas) but the property taxes here can go up to 3.5% in the really nice areas like Shaker Heights. Combine that with municipal taxes both where you live and where you work and things add up. Also, the salaries here are quite low which is part of the original reply where I said that a developer salary of $75k (sounds like I should expect $85k given my experience according to Tnk787) and $60k for my wife. That would be almost a $30k raise for me and $20k for my wife.

According to THIS CALCULATOR, which I find fairly accurate, I could afford a $450k home in Lakewood and have it be 20% of my net income with that Denver salary. In an area like Bay Village, I would be able to afford a $230k home and have it fit within that range. Keep in mind, the salaries in Cleveland are respective of what I am making here.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:41 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,909,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezy303 View Post
San Diego, yes, but Cleveland?? Cleveland is one of the most affordable major cities in the US.

-The median home price for the Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor metro area is $132k.
-The median home price for the Denver-Aurora metro area is $353k.
-The median home price for the San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos metro area is $554.4k.

Apples to oranges to pears.

As you can see, Denver isn't even close to being a "great deal" in comparison to Cleveland.

Metropolitan Median Area Prices and Affordability | realtor.org

Old 02-02-2016, 01:42 PM

46 posts, read 48,552 times
Quote:
Thanks for your insight. What would you consider mid level, year wise into the career to be? I figure I am somewhere between a junior and mid-level currently.
I generally view 0-5 years as junior, 5-10 as mid-level and 10+ as senior level. Obviously it depends on the individual's career progression and skill sets as well.

I know of a developer with 3 years professional experience with a title Expert Developer making $130K base salary. (He works hard, is very bright, and deserves his title and salary). I've also worked with two 50 year-old developers who have commanded a mid-level salary for decades although they are happy exactly where they are.

I can confirm that the market for software developers is red hot in the Denver metro area and has been for the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or