U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM

30 posts, read 24,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
(Not a resident, soon relocating, but frequent visitor of Denver and Philly)

I would honestly suggest applying for jobs in any of the three cities and seeing what you can get. Job market can be tough, and the city is expensive, so you really need something lined up first.

As you will read in a lot of the other topics here, the locals are really into the mountain and the outdoor culture. If you see yourself spending more time in the urban environment, than the outdoor environment, you might be disappointed in the amenities the city has. This isn't to say that Denver is boring at all, it's just that there are a numerous amount of people who move here, aren't really into the camping/hiking/skiing, and end up leaving disappointed. This also goes to people who enjoy "high end" amenities like boutique fashion stores, dining, nightlife, etc.

If the fast paced urban environment is more your speed, Seattle might be a better match for you.
Yeah the job thing is something I certainly will find more about, talking to my professors/supervisors/career center/etc and figure out how that will go.

I'm a very casual person so I don't fit at all with the high end amenities so that won't be a problem

I do appreciate the urban setting in that everything is close together, but I think that my interests will be quite balanced in that way. I would of course spend a lot of time in the city, but do enjoy the outdoors and anticipate that I'll appreciate them even more when I get a dog - to go hiking with and all that. Regardless, thank you for the insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Apologies. Was just trying to say that, yes, Dave's post was a joke. As far as mj goes it's here and occasionally you'll probably run into the odor, but it's really not that much different than it was before weed was "legalized." Before Amendment 64 you'd smell pot at places like Red Rocks, and you'll still smell it today.

Should be noted that public consumption is still illegal. That hasn't changed (although there are people who wish it had).
ok great that's good news. It's frequent that people (who most likely never lived/been to Denver) portray it as some mj haven that fills the streets with smoke. I knew that this was an exaggeration but it's good to hear that it isn't much different at all as before. Thank you!

Old 02-03-2016, 03:31 PM

89 posts, read 116,610 times
It may positively affect your decision to know that it's pretty easy to find Tastykake items here!

Old 02-03-2016, 04:18 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swale View Post
It may positively affect your decision to know that it's pretty easy to find Tastykake items here!
They recently showed up in my King Soopers, though the product has changed a lot from years ago.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 AM

930 posts, read 534,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Sounds like a good fit outside of the money issue. If you can't afford well over a thousand a month for rent, you'll be in a seriously sketch neighborhood.
Or have roommates. Denver has become a city where roommates are required for most 20-something young professionals, unless you're in a high-earning field like Petroleum Engineering. Living on your own has become a luxury here.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking45 View Post
ok great that's good news. It's frequent that people (who most likely never lived/been to Denver) portray it as some mj haven that fills the streets with smoke. I knew that this was an exaggeration but it's good to hear that it isn't much different at all as before. Thank you!
If you spend your time downtown or in more urban areas, you will mostly likely smell it rather frequently. And you will see pot shops a lot more often than in other parts of the country where pot is still illegal. If that doesn't offend you, then you should be alright.

But nonetheless, do not let others fool you into believing that pot culture is not a big deal here. It is, especially among people in your demographic. If/when you move here and you're trying to find friends to hang out with, don't be surprised if at least 50% of them use pot.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 AM

13,227 posts, read 24,312,750 times
Why not Minneapolis?

Old 02-04-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
If you spend your time downtown or in more urban areas, you will mostly likely smell it rather frequently. And you will see pot shops a lot more often than in other parts of the country where pot is still illegal. If that doesn't offend you, then you should be alright.

But nonetheless, do not let others fool you into believing that pot culture is not a big deal here. It is, especially among people in your demographic. If/when you move here and you're trying to find friends to hang out with, don't be surprised if at least 50% of them use pot.
Pot shops and people smoking doesn't bother/offend me, but it's a problem for me when it becomes a bigger deal than I think it should be. For example, people who spend the majority of their conversations about weed or what they use to smoke it with are annoying to me.

Again, I don't mind at all if people smoke, but I don't like when it becomes an obsession, or when people are high almost all the time. So it's more about how one views weed, or how much they smoke, rather than if they do or don't.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking45 View Post
Pot shops and people smoking doesn't bother/offend me, but it's a problem for me when it becomes a bigger deal than I think it should be. For example, people who spend the majority of their conversations about weed or what they use to smoke it with are annoying to me.

Again, I don't mind at all if people smoke, but I don't like when it becomes an obsession, or when people are high almost all the time. So it's more about how one views weed, or how much they smoke, rather than if they do or don't.
I don't think it's that bad in my experience. The majority of people I know here on an intimate level do it recreationally, in a similar way that people may enjoy an alcoholic beverage. I don't really do it that often, because I don't like how it makes me feel (unless I'm hungover, in which case it's great!). But avoiding the culture altogether may be cumbersome for someone in your demographic who is trying to do so. You just have to accept that pot culture is prevalent here, especially for the 20-something crowd. My older friends (30+ y/o) tend to use it much less or not at all.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I don't think it's that bad in my experience. The majority of people I know here on an intimate level do it recreationally, in a similar way that people may enjoy an alcoholic beverage. I don't really do it that often, because I don't like how it makes me feel (unless I'm hungover, in which case it's great!). But avoiding the culture altogether may be cumbersome for someone in your demographic who is trying to do so. You just have to accept that pot culture is prevalent here, especially for the 20-something crowd. My older friends (30+ y/o) tend to use it much less or not at all.
Yeah I think you're right. If the culture is one that mostly uses it recreationally like you describe, I have absolutely no problem with that. I guess it can be very analogous to alcohol like you talked about. I wouldn't want friends who smoke a lot and/or are high mostly all the time, the same as I wouldn't want friends who drink a lot and/or are drunk most of the time. But just like enjoying some drinks on the weekend or a beer at night, I have no issue with a person smoking here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or