Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM

30 posts, read 33,403 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24-year-old single male living in Philadelphia now, about to complete my last semester of graduate school. I've grown up in/around Philly my whole life and am extremely ready for a big change. Nothing is tying me down to here so I've done a good amount of research of where I want to go and what I want in a city.

Right now the cities on the top of my list are Denver, Seattle, and Sacramento. There are pros/cons for each, but Denver seems to be a good fit, even though I still want to come visit to see in person. The weather is a huge plus for me, as I hate the humidity here, don't mind the cold, and can handle the heat in the summer if it's a dry heat.

Like I said I'm 24, single, male; other than that I'm a very relaxed person, love football and hockey (watching), am looking to join an adult intramural hockey league wherever I end up, want to get a dog, am into the dating scene, want to live in the city, want to get a dog, as well as a bunch of other things. I also am graduating with my masters in Couples and Family therapy, and will get a specialization in sex therapy.

I guess my questions are: (1) does Denver seem like a good fit? I know I didn't give a lot of any information so I'm more than willing to answer any more questions. (2) what's a decent area to live that's affordable? I won't make a lot of money in my field, especially to start. I don't expect to be in the nicest parts of the city or get the nicest apartments; I just need somewhere that works, is semi-nice, and is in the city. (3) in general do a good amount of apartments allow pets, and are there a lot of places to talk a dog for walks, or dog parks in the city?

Thank you to any advice/words of wisdom that you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 09:02 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking45 View Post
I'm a 24-year-old single male living in Philadelphia now, about to complete my last semester of graduate school. I've grown up in/around Philly my whole life and am extremely ready for a big change. Nothing is tying me down to here so I've done a good amount of research of where I want to go and what I want in a city.

Right now the cities on the top of my list are Denver, Seattle, and Sacramento. There are pros/cons for each, but Denver seems to be a good fit, even though I still want to come visit to see in person. The weather is a huge plus for me, as I hate the humidity here, don't mind the cold, and can handle the heat in the summer if it's a dry heat.

Like I said I'm 24, single, male; other than that I'm a very relaxed person, love football and hockey (watching), am looking to join an adult intramural hockey league wherever I end up, want to get a dog, am into the dating scene, want to live in the city, want to get a dog, as well as a bunch of other things. I also am graduating with my masters in Couples and Family therapy, and will get a specialization in sex therapy.

I guess my questions are: (1) does Denver seem like a good fit? I know I didn't give a lot of any information so I'm more than willing to answer any more questions. (2) what's a decent area to live that's affordable? I won't make a lot of money in my field, especially to start. I don't expect to be in the nicest parts of the city or get the nicest apartments; I just need somewhere that works, is semi-nice, and is in the city. (3) in general do a good amount of apartments allow pets, and are there a lot of places to talk a dog for walks, or dog parks in the city?

Thank you to any advice/words of wisdom that you can share!
Sounds like a good fit outside of the money issue. If you can't afford well over a thousand a month for rent, you'll be in a seriously sketch neighborhood.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I moved here from 30 minutes away from Philly.

There are definitely opportunities to play hockey and the city is very dog friendly (which is why I moved here).

You will have a hard time finding a cheap place to live in Denver, but um, the sketchy neighborhoods in Denver are nothing like the sketchy neighborhoods in Philly. Basically, there are certain areas where you don't go strolling at night, but otherwise it's pretty low-key. There are only a few neighborhoods I'd say you should just avoid (East Colfax is one). I lived across the street from a crackhouse in Park Hill and I mostly found it amusing to mildly annoying (with a side-helping of sad) rather than threatening.

If you're willing to live outside of Denver, there is cheaper housing. I'd look for a roommate situation or renting a room to begin with and take your time finding a more permanent place.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I moved here from 30 minutes away from Philly.

There are definitely opportunities to play hockey and the city is very dog friendly (which is why I moved here).

You will have a hard time finding a cheap place to live in Denver, but um, the sketchy neighborhoods in Denver are nothing like the sketchy neighborhoods in Philly. Basically, there are certain areas where you don't go strolling at night, but otherwise it's pretty low-key. There are only a few neighborhoods I'd say you should just avoid (East Colfax is one). I lived across the street from a crackhouse in Park Hill and I mostly found it amusing to mildly annoying (with a side-helping of sad) rather than threatening.

If you're willing to live outside of Denver, there is cheaper housing. I'd look for a roommate situation or renting a room to begin with and take your time finding a more permanent place.
yeah I'm not planning on living by myself, just because it seems like it would be way too expensive. I know it varies by the different parts of city but do you have a general sense of one person's share of the rent for a 2-bedroom apartment (so me and one housemate)? An overall ballpark average of the whole city, or a breakdown of each part of Denver and a ballpark estimate of how much each would cost would be fantastic.

I won't be raking in the dough in any sense but I think that I'll have a solid living - and by solid I mean that I think that I would be able to afford something in the city. But again I'm not saying it has to be a nice place.

Final note, I do agree that I wouldn't want to be in the worst parts of Denver, but I think I would be in good shape even in the lesser parts because I spent 3 years at Temple. And since you were close to Philly I'm SURE you know what it's like at Temple and what reputation it gets.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
No jobs here for you.
We are all happy well-adjusted couples.
Thanks to medical MJ.
And, craft beer.

P.S. You might want to consider "pizza counseling". Some (many?) flatlanders just cannot acclimate to the [horrible] pizza choices here.

P.P.S. "BBQ counseling" is lso a strong possibility. You know there is no Eastern North Carolina BBQ here?

Last edited by davebarnes; 02-03-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No jobs here for you.
We are all happy well-adjusted couples.
Thanks to medical MJ.
this is another concern I had. I'm all for weed being legal and people doing it if they like it, but I certainly am not a fan of the culture of being obsessed with it, as if it's a way of life. Again, I have no problem with people who smoke if they're mature, but I certainly have a problem with people who are like the cliche "420blazeit" lifestyle.

I assume that the vast majority of people are not obnoxious like that, but any insight to marijuana's role in Denver. (and I'm assuming your post is a joke)

Old 02-03-2016, 10:46 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
this is another concern I had. I'm all for weed being legal and people doing it if they like it, but I certainly am not a fan of the culture of being obsessed with it, as if it's a way of life. Again, I have no problem with people who smoke if they're mature, but I certainly have a problem with people who are like the cliche "420blazeit" lifestyle.

I assume that the vast majority of people are not obnoxious like that, but any insight to marijuana's role in Denver. (and I'm assuming your post is a joke)
Dave's our resident curmudgeon. Good guy, but sarcastic as all get out. The helpfulness of his advice is directly proportional to the amount of relevant background information provided by inquiring posters such as yourself.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Dave's our resident curmudgeon. Good guy, but sarcastic as all get out. The helpfulness of his advice is directly proportional to the amount of relevant background information provided by inquiring posters such as yourself.
do you have any advice/questions/insights or do you have nothing beneficial you're willing to contribute? just to get the sense if I should respond to you after this or not

Old 02-03-2016, 12:01 PM

760 posts, read 882,541 times
(Not a resident, soon relocating, but frequent visitor of Denver and Philly)

I would honestly suggest applying for jobs in any of the three cities and seeing what you can get. Job market can be tough, and the city is expensive, so you really need something lined up first.

As you will read in a lot of the other topics here, the locals are really into the mountain and the outdoor culture. If you see yourself spending more time in the urban environment, than the outdoor environment, you might be disappointed in the amenities the city has. This isn't to say that Denver is boring at all, it's just that there are a numerous amount of people who move here, aren't really into the camping/hiking/skiing, and end up leaving disappointed. This also goes to people who enjoy "high end" amenities like boutique fashion stores, dining, nightlife, etc.

If the fast paced urban environment is more your speed, Seattle might be a better match for you.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:48 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
do you have any advice/questions/insights or do you have nothing beneficial you're willing to contribute? just to get the sense if I should respond to you after this or not
Apologies. Was just trying to say that, yes, Dave's post was a joke. As far as mj goes it's here and occasionally you'll probably run into the odor, but it's really not that much different than it was before weed was "legalized." Before Amendment 64 you'd smell pot at places like Red Rocks, and you'll still smell it today.

Should be noted that public consumption is still illegal. That hasn't changed (although there are people who wish it had).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: