U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:22 PM

163 posts, read 712,226 times

Advertisements

ha, I just went through this myself, and am from Northern Ca.

Ok, if I have an idea of what you're looking for....

Viva Burrito is pretty good. It's a fast food type place like an Alberto's or Adalberto's (or any other O's) in California. They do have a California Burrito on the menu as well, and it's pretty decent. They're fast, cheap, open 24 hrs (multiple locations), and the whole menu isn't full of smothered everything.

Jack N Grill is good, but not what you're looking for I think.....unless your kind of burrito is a 13" monster covered in green chile and floating in it....

Also check out Tacos Y Salsas (one on E Colfax and one on Federal)! Very good, very authentic whole-in-the-wall fast-food type taqueria where all the mexicans go.

My last recommendation is Tacos Jalisco on 38th ave. REAL good. More of a small sit-down place but damn good, they will do burritos to-go also, and they're very good and cheap.

So far from what I've tried in about a month of being here try: Viva Burrito, Tacos Y Salsas, & Tacos Jalisco.

Skip: Jack N Grill, Qdoba (doubt i even have to say it....), El Jardin, Chipotle (again.... but it did start here so....), Illegal Pete's ( a wanna be Chipotle run by white people) um...I think that's all.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 PM

152 posts, read 572,502 times
D'Corazon??? Don't do it! I know my mexican food, I'm from AZ, just moved to CO. We went to D'Corazon last night, walked in because it was PACKED. The food was cheap, but not really that good. I don't know what the hype was all about. I've been hating life today also because of it. Trust me, stay away.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,300,585 times
Little Anita's on S Colorado Blvd
El Tepehaun In old Englewood
Chez Jose in Cherry Creek North

Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 PM

456 posts, read 1,438,519 times
I second Little Anita's! It's my favorite spot in Denver.

I love Illegal Pete's also! But the other chain places like Chipotle and Qdoba are garbage!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM

43 posts, read 276,709 times
I wouldn't exactly call Chipotle and Qdoba garbage, but for the sake of best burrito in Denver, the nod should go to a place that is unique.

Chez Jose, as mentioned, is good, and probably the cheapest eat in Cherry Creek North.

For hung over breakfast burritos, I recommend Viva Burrito.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,259,499 times
El Taco de Mexico, 7th at Santa Fe Drive. Cheeksmeat smothered, or their barboqua smothered.

El Tepehuan, in Englewood.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:24 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,685,073 times
Maybe I just don't get it, but why would somebody want to eat a burrito "smothered" in liquid? Soggy, wet tortillas slopped in guck is one of the most disgusting things out there, IMO.

I went to Little Anitas when I was back home in December and I don't see what the hype is about; it's just a typical grease-Mex joint with bland taste.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Maybe I just don't get it, but why would somebody want to eat a burrito "smothered" in liquid? Soggy, wet tortillas slopped in guck is one of the most disgusting things out there, IMO.
I'm with ya, I have no clue. I can't remember seeing a smothered anything before getting out here to Colorado. Anyways...if you ask me that's a enchilada really....with um, non-enchilada sauce, not a burrito.

I've got nothing against the whole green chile thing either, I think it's delicious, just not with my burrito swimming in it. Do it right, put it inside the burrito, like they do at Tacos Jalisco

Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
I love Illegal Pete's also! But the other chain places like Chipotle and Qdoba are garbage!
C'mon really? They're all the same damn thing with slight variations on the fillings. At least at Chipotle they have real Mexicans working there....that must count for something.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 PM

456 posts, read 1,438,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERBULLDOG View Post
I wouldn't exactly call Chipotle and Qdoba garbage, but for the sake of best burrito in Denver, the nod should go to a place that is unique.

Chez Jose, as mentioned, is good, and probably the cheapest eat in Cherry Creek North.

For hung over breakfast burritos, I recommend Viva Burrito.

Qdoba has no flavor. at all.

Both times I have been to Chipotle in Denver, the rice has been hard and crunchy. Perhaps it is the altitude and they cannot get it cooked right? Whatever it may be..I'll stick to carnitas tacos when I go there from now on.

I went to viva burrito once, on Colfax over by Casa Bonita. I'm not really a fan of potatoes in my breakfast burrito, and they put a ton in mine. It was alright, but not good enough for me to ever go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or