Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:45 PM

286 posts, read 294,875 times

Advertisements

hello, i am from the upstate new york area so large mountain ranges and endless outdoor activity is sort of a way of life which is why i think denver is a perfect city for me, also it has a dry heat climate that i would like, unfortunately i understand denver is top 3 fastest growing metros in the country so i understand its extremely expensive to live there now

i make around 14 an hour with the chance of overtime and picking up extra shifts for straight time pay, and possibly would have a second income if my gf came with me

would it be possible to live in denver on that type of income?
i would also need to work as close to the denver airport as possible to avoid all traffic issues, unless public transit is reliable; did they ever finish that train from airport to downtown yet?

if it is affordable would i basically just be paying rent or could i enjoy the city by going out every now and then and snowboarding ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 03:16 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
It would be hard even with your girlfriend.

Average rent in Denver is over $1100/month.

The train to DIA will be finished in April, but kind of expensive. Employer may subsidize. Living near airport means living far away from mountains.

Snowboarding is cheap if you get a pass -- about $650 (I think) a season for an Epic Local pass. Resorts are about 75 min away without traffic. With traffic, well...

If you can go on weekdays, that would be best.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:02 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
I think this is very true!
You could find rent the would match your income, but most likely it would be in some very "undesirable" areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
It would be hard even with your girlfriend.

Average rent in Denver is over $1100/month.

The train to DIA will be finished in April, but kind of expensive. Employer may subsidize. Living near airport means living far away from mountains.

Snowboarding is cheap if you get a pass -- about $650 (I think) a season for an Epic Local pass. Resorts are about 75 min away without traffic. With traffic, well...

If you can go on weekdays, that would be best.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:11 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
I think you could make more than $14 an hour in the right job. What type of work do you do at the airport?

Also, you could work at one of the mountain resorts. It's not an easy lifestyle because the pay is so low compared to the cost of living, but people who love to ski/snowboard make it work. You would want to research this A LOT before making the jump though.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:21 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Take a trip out here to explore! If you work a lot of OT you can make it. Make undesirable places desirable. You will be ok. Live in Aurora or East Denver, Maybe Green Valley Ranch. Good luck

Denver Relocation Guide | Guide to Moving to or Living in Denver

Denver Colorado Vacations & Conventions | VISIT DENVER

Old 02-16-2016, 09:08 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
What do you do?
How old are you?
Do you have any financial obligations? (Kids, debts, etc.)
Are you open to having a roommate situation?
What kind of life are you envisioning for yourself? As in, what is the minimum you need to feel happy with your living situation?

I'm assuming you're looking to have all the advantages of living in upstate NY (snowboarding, outdoor stuff, etc.) and also have a sizeable city nearby?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:20 AM

286 posts, read 294,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
What do you do?
How old are you?
Do you have any financial obligations? (Kids, debts, etc.)
Are you open to having a roommate situation?
What kind of life are you envisioning for yourself? As in, what is the minimum you need to feel happy with your living situation?

I'm assuming you're looking to have all the advantages of living in upstate NY (snowboarding, outdoor stuff, etc.) and also have a sizeable city nearby?

I am 24 years old and work In the airline industry
I have no financial obligations to speak of I have no debt , have not established too much credit yet and have roughly 20k in my savings and contribute to a 401k and a Roth each pay period
I don't really need much to make me happy I just want to be able to live in a city like Denver that has every single thing I enjoy and would want in a city , but I want to be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle , outdoor rec, working out and eating clean which I know is expensive to get healthy groceries .

And in terms of a place to live , I don't need fancy but I don't want to sacrifice and live in a ghetto or run down building just to live in Denver .

Yes similar life not that I would snowboard every weekend but just to have that option of hey lets snowboard or hey lets go hiking or mountain biking or just a night on the town enjoying a good pub

Old 03-16-2016, 01:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
I have no financial obligations to speak of I have no debt , have not established too much credit yet and have roughly 20k in my savings and contribute to a 401k and a Roth each pay period
I don't really need much to make me happy I just want to be able to live in a city like Denver that has every single thing I enjoy and would want in a city , but I want to be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle , outdoor rec, working out and eating clean which I know is expensive to get healthy groceries .

And in terms of a place to live , I don't need fancy but I don't want to sacrifice and live in a ghetto or run down building just to live in Denver .

Yes similar life not that I would snowboard every weekend but just to have that option of hey lets snowboard or hey lets go hiking or mountain biking or just a night on the town enjoying a good pub
Having no debt and a job puts you in a good position. Could you transfer to a job at DIA??

When I 1st moved to Denver at age 25, I rented a room in a house on Capitol Hill. Nothing fancy at all, but it got me in where I wanted to live.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:26 PM

238 posts, read 695,967 times
Quote:

There are options for apartments near the airport under $1,000/month.

Source: 1,204 Apartment Rentals Found Nearby | Apartments.com

The closer you get to downtown Denver the more expensive your housing costs will be. When they complete the RTD (lightrail) line out to the airport, you can easily hop on it to visit downtown. If you prefer to drive I frequently find all-day parking on the weekends for $6.

Living on the east side of the metro takes even more time to get up to the mountains but there are dozens of state parks scattered all across the state and tons of open space trails as well.

DIA is a pretty large airport that employs quite a few folks... If they can do it, you can - especially given you have no debt.

Good job prioritizing the 401K and ROTH! If you can, come out for a visit to ensure Denver truly is the place you want to call home and explore those areas you're thinking about living in.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:

You could easily make this work if you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: