U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:13 PM

21,055 posts, read 11,683,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
I'm over in Bluff Lake - I saw a few folks move out within 2 years. In Conservatory Green, it seems like this is happening relatively frequently.
Where did they move to? I see some S Stapleton people moving to CG and WPE for newer/bigger houses. Some leave entirely, of course, but a pretty large percentage are just relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 04:16 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,237,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
I'm over in Bluff Lake - I saw a few folks move out within 2 years. In Conservatory Green, it seems like this is happening relatively frequently.
I'm not moving until after I get to walk to a grocery store and restaurants lol! I know that town center won't be exactly what everyone wants, but I do think it'll add value to the neighborhood, and Stanley Marketplace will as well.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:23 PM

21,055 posts, read 11,683,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britgirlga View Post
We are moving to Stapleton after looking in the burbs for the LR, Stanley Mplace and eventually the town ctr, proximity to d/t and DIA. Unless the people are awful, it seems like the perfect place for us.
What would awful people be like in your definition?

As for what people don't like, I think most people are pretty informed about Stapleton when they move here, so they know things like the very small lot sizes and the fact that you can live in a very expensive home and still be within a few feet of your neighbor. But they accept those tradeoffs for the community feel, large amounts of public green space and the easy proximity to most of what Denver has to offer, as well as the slow to go but eventual build out of more commercial spaces within Stapleton itself.

Taxes are higher than the rest of Denver, but not that expensive compared to many other parts of the country, so that depends on what you are used to. The school choice process takes getting used to but any surveys I've seen say that the majority of people are ultimately happy with their children's schools.

One negative is the lack of diversity - even within predominantly white Denver, Stapleton is even whiter, and that's a concern to people. The schools are much more diverse, so that helps. It's pretty socially liberal from what I can see - not exclusively, of course, but it could be a concern for someone who is a lot further to the right. But people aren't really in your face that much about it - I'm actually surprised at the lack of political signs given that the caucus is just a couple of weeks away now.

Another issue is the crime - it's still very low, but depending on your perspective, it can seem high. Mostly opportunistic property crimes, like people leaving a car unlocked and having items stolen. But the stats are no different than most of the close by Denver neighborhoods, I think you'd have to head back out to true suburbs to see much difference.

If you have specific questions or concerns, there are many CDers living in Stapleton and I think we would all try to answer you honestly, even if it's something that might not be a positive. But most of us are happy here, which I think is pretty good for a random cross section.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:28 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,237,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What would awful people be like in your definition?

As for what people don't like, I think most people are pretty informed about Stapleton when they move here, so they know things like the very small lot sizes and the fact that you can live in a very expensive home and still be within a few feet of your neighbor. But they accept those tradeoffs for the community feel, large amounts of public green space and the easy proximity to most of what Denver has to offer, as well as the slow to go but eventual build out of more commercial spaces within Stapleton itself.

Taxes are higher than the rest of Denver, but not that expensive compared to many other parts of the country, so that depends on what you are used to. The school choice process takes getting used to but any surveys I've seen say that the majority of people are ultimately happy with their children's schools.

One negative is the lack of diversity - even within predominantly white Denver, Stapleton is even whiter, and that's a concern to people. The schools are much more diverse, so that helps. It's pretty socially liberal from what I can see - not exclusively, of course, but it could be a concern for someone who is a lot further to the right. But people aren't really in your face that much about it - I'm actually surprised at the lack of political signs given that the caucus is just a couple of weeks away now.

Another issue is the crime - it's still very low, but depending on your perspective, it can seem high. Mostly opportunistic property crimes, like people leaving a car unlocked and having items stolen. But the stats are no different than most of the close by Denver neighborhoods, I think you'd have to head back out to true suburbs to see much difference.

If you have specific questions or concerns, there are many CDers living in Stapleton and I think we would all try to answer you honestly, even if it's something that might not be a positive. But most of us are happy here, which I think is pretty good for a random cross section.
We had Mormons move in down the street from us. They have a gay couple with kids on one side of them, a lesbian couple with kids across the street, and people who like to drink on the front porch on the other side of them. I've never seen/met them, but their neighbors said they just give them condescending looks and don't interact with anyone lol! I was kind of surprised they moved into Stapleton, considering how non-religious and liberal it is.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:28 PM

569 posts, read 1,046,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Where did they move to? I see some S Stapleton people moving to CG and WPE for newer/bigger houses. Some leave entirely, of course, but a pretty large percentage are just relocating.
Relocation is common. A large number of my neighbors have jobs that require airport access...living in Denver doesn't always pan out for folks and their careers.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:31 PM

569 posts, read 1,046,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm not moving until after I get to walk to a grocery store and restaurants lol! I know that town center won't be exactly what everyone wants, but I do think it'll add value to the neighborhood, and Stanley Marketplace will as well.
Yep. I was just thinking about how nice it will be to walk somewhere and just hang out to have a coffee or beer or tacos. Convenience always adds value to the neighborhood.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:48 PM

86,915 posts, read 102,388,879 times
Quote:
We had Mormons move in down the street from us. They have a gay couple with kids on one side of them, a lesbian couple with kids across the street, and people who like to drink on the front porch on the other side of them. I've never seen/met them, but their neighbors said they just give them condescending looks and don't interact with anyone lol! I was kind of surprised they moved into Stapleton, considering how non-religious and liberal it is.
I thought there was a Lutheran church in Stapleton. My daughter told me that, not that she ever darkened the door!

Old 02-18-2016, 06:41 PM

21,881 posts, read 22,024,555 times
Quote:
I bet all of these people were really welcoming to the Mormons, though, weren't they?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:43 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,250,430 times
Quote:
My house was pretty much across the street from Stanley. Kind of bummed I missed out on that. I'll be curious to see how it does.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 11,075,627 times
It could be corporate moves where the owners decided Denver was not for them. No reflection on the house whatsoever. I grew up in Denver and took a move back where we chose Highlands Ranch. The neighborhood was beautiful, the house was beautiful, there was nothing wrong with it. I just missed the Seattle greenery and water. Maybe there is an issue with Stapleton but sometimes a move just doesn't take. I know of someone who bought a new house in another state where they had issues with the neighbors, didn't like the vibe and sold after a few months, preferring to change neighborhoods. The house was fine. That said, my parents still live there and love it after decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver