Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
As a resident of Stapleton, think of it as a massive economic development project that will make your house more valuable and will continue the process of kicking the low-income, nonwhite people out of the area (this being NE Denver). It's only a good thing for you.
Hey! There are non-white people living in my house! And I don't think cowboys will be moving into Stapleton. No room to park duallies and no room for a pony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 12:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The height limit was originally imposed for a few reasons such as viewplanes from LoHi, proximity to LoDo etc. it was kept low prior to redevelopment as a means of ensuring that the are would be developed quickly as the thought at the time was that allowing 40-plus story buildings would mean a multi-decade long build-out of Union Station. In hindsight, demand in the area was grossly underestimated as the full build out scenario is going to be completed as decade earlier than expected.

The Confluence was approved with a height waiver in order to free up more space around Confluence Park and provide for additional access to the park. If the height waiver wasn't approved, you'd see a 12-story full block project at the site instead of the slender tower project that's going up.
Interesting! I'm still amazed how fast that area built up.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:55 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Hey! There are non-white people living in my house! And I don't think cowboys will be moving into Stapleton. No room to park duallies and no room for a pony.
Have you seen the garages on some the new houses up north? Santa Maria!

Or they could park the duallies on the street and reduce the speed at which traffic can move down some of the deathways, errrrr, sidestreets.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
How many Fortune 500 companies headquarters originated in Denver and the amount are located in downtown? I'm doing some research and there isn't a specific list regarding the amount.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:19 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
How many Fortune 500 companies headquarters originated in Denver and the amount are located in downtown? I'm doing some research and there isn't a specific list regarding the amount.
From Fortune 500 List by State for 2015 - Geolounge

9 in CO, only 1 downtown Denver

Arrow Electronics 7459 S. Lima St. Englewood Colorado 80112
DISH Network 9601 S. Meridian Blvd. Englewood Colorado 80112
DaVita HealthCare Partners 2000 16th St. Denver Colorado 80202
Liberty Interactive 12300 Liberty Blvd. Englewood Colorado 80112
Ball 10 Longs Peak Dr. Broomfield Colorado 80021
Newmont Mining 6363 S. Fiddler's Green Circl Greenwood Village Colorado 80111
Level 3 Communications 1025 Eldorado Blvd. Broomfield Colorado 80021
Western Union 12500 E.Belford Ave. Englewood Colorado 80112
CH2M Hill 9191 S. Jamaica St. Englewood Colorado 80112

Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Those pictures are ridiculous. They are pictures of idiots who jumped on a crowded train at the last second, and got smacked in the face by the doors. You could take pictures like that, in almost any city with rail, including Denver.
It is quite apparent that you have never been to Tokyo. People are crammed into the cars like sardines.

Subway Pushers in Tokyo

Old 02-20-2016, 12:12 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
It is quite apparent that you have never been to Tokyo. People are crammed into the cars like sardines.

Subway Pushers in Tokyo
If there were more train cars, wouldn't this not be a problem?

Old 02-20-2016, 04:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post

Subway Pushers in Tokyo
Looks just like RTD's Flatiron Flyer busses (Flatiron Failure as the riders like to call it) after RTD rebranded it and cut most of the express runs. BTW I spent a lot of time in Tokyo and never saw anything like that. But it's a massive rail system, and I'm sure a lot weirder things happen at some point, somewhere in a system that carries 40 million passengers a day, on 121 rail lines, serving 882 stations.

#FlatironFlyer

Last edited by KaaBoom; 02-20-2016 at 04:33 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 05:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
If there were more train cars, wouldn't this not be a problem?
It's not a problem, trust me, I have been there. It's a very good rail system. That particular video is over 10 years old. They do add more cars all the time, when they have problems with crowding. But most of the trains are already over 10 cars long and run every two minutes in the rush hour. They can't add any more trains, and if they add more cars, they also have to extend the length of the platforms. A lot of older stations simply do not have any more room to lengthen the platforms.

I'm not saying these videos are fake. But most of those people are just dumb or lazy or both. They don't want to wait two minutes for the next train or even walk to the front or back of the train to find a car with more room.

This video is a better representation of how efficient the system is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AKQzxl1Ick

Old 03-06-2022, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 604 times
Default This is why

Before DEN airport was constructed the main airport used for Denver was in Stapleton. Due to airplanes flying so low and close to downtown there was a strict build limit for skyscrapers, explaining why the tallest building only reaches to about 400 meters. Nowadays because the airport doesn’t exist, there is no build limit and very soon designers will start constructing skyscrapers as high as the sky can reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver