U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:04 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,538,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Anyone think legalized weed has an effect on the crime? I don't live there yet, but I hear it's brought an influx of young homeless/drifters
As for the bolded part, not one bit.

Sure, maybe the legal weed has caused a few more early 20-somethings from Wisco and Michigan to buy one way tickets to Denver without having a job here...but Denver had a pretty serious homeless problem before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 AM

918 posts, read 983,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Odd view. From the city data stats for 2013 (last time reported):
Denver 383.3
Lakewood 376.6
Aurora 322

So then you want to try to export criminals to safer suburbs like Thornton and Northglenn. Over a hundred points safer before the recent Denver run up.
Thornton 230.6
Northglenn 250.3
Yep. Less desirable locations, even if they have lower crime now, are destined for increases in crimes as the more "affordable" neighborhoods push out from the city center. The first generation suburbs with fewer amenities are likely candidates.

Quote:
What an interesting view you have. Instead of empowering the Denver police to solve their problem you want to try and shift the burden to better managed communities. Odd that you don't feel that people who can't afford to live in the gentrified communities are entitled to nice safe lower cost places to live. I certainly do.
They're not. If you cant afford to live in a gentrified community, than you can't afford safety. Poor communities are not guaranteed safety in the United States. They're the dumping grounds where we put our problems. Sucks if you're on the receiving end of a community that starts to slide downhill, but it has to happen somewhere. With Denver proper on a strong upswing it's got to occur somewhere else.

Quote:
Aurora seems to be doing something right also as they were rated the safest large city in Colorado for the last two years in a row. Certainly they are doing something right.
Aurora Named Safest Large City In Colorado 2nd Year In A Row CBS Denver

If Denver is going down hill then the police need to step up and you should work toward empowering them to do so.
I wouldn't say that Denver's going downhill anymore than Aurora is. Both are improving and have the resources to counteract crime increases. But there are certain growing pains that comes with poorer neighborhoods gentrifying that can lead to an uptick in crime. One is a greater number of crime of opportunities due to the increased number of high-income residents that are available to be targets. Stapleton in Denver is a great example of this as it abuts Aurora's worst neighborhoods and there's a ton of spillover crime. If anyplace needed a wall to keep out the riff-raff....

I fully support the Denver Police and their attempts to counter the crime such as bolstering the number of officers on the streets thru reorganization and increased hiring. But I also support the improving socio-economic conditions in Denver that will ultimately push out the chronic criminal elements (asides from the homeless population) and force them upon other communities. It's a low-cost solution for me and it's a natural thing that occurs. For fifty years this occurred to the detriment of the city centers, but the momentum has now shifted to suburbs taking the brunt of criminal increases. It's a slow-moving trend, but it's happening.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:07 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,306,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Yep. Less desirable locations, even if they have lower crime now, are destined for increases in crimes as the more "affordable" neighborhoods push out from the city center. The first generation suburbs with fewer amenities are likely candidates.

They're not. If you cant afford to live in a gentrified community, than you can't afford safety. Poor communities are not guaranteed safety in the United States. They're the dumping grounds where we put our problems. Sucks if you're on the receiving end of a community that starts to slide downhill, but it has to happen somewhere. With Denver proper on a strong upswing it's got to occur somewhere else.

I wouldn't say that Denver's going downhill anymore than Aurora is. Both are improving and have the resources to counteract crime increases. But there are certain growing pains that comes with poorer neighborhoods gentrifying that can lead to an uptick in crime. One is a greater number of crime of opportunities due to the increased number of high-income residents that are available to be targets. Stapleton in Denver is a great example of this as it abuts Aurora's worst neighborhoods and there's a ton of spillover crime. If anyplace needed a wall to keep out the riff-raff....

I fully support the Denver Police and their attempts to counter the crime such as bolstering the number of officers on the streets thru reorganization and increased hiring. But I also support the improving socio-economic conditions in Denver that will ultimately push out the chronic criminal elements (asides from the homeless population) and force them upon other communities. It's a low-cost solution for me and it's a natural thing that occurs. For fifty years this occurred to the detriment of the city centers, but the momentum has now shifted to suburbs taking the brunt of criminal increases. It's a slow-moving trend, but it's happening.
So the goal is to gentrify the entire Denver metro area? If you push out the Denver crime into the suburbs, they will have to eventually gentrify and where will crime migrate next? Rural areas?

I believe cultural issues are what need to be worked on also, not just having an increased police workforce, or magically converting a blighted area into an overpriced, fancy, yuppie area.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:11 AM

918 posts, read 983,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
So the goal is the gentrify the entire Denver metro area? If you push out the Denver crime into the suburbs, they will have to eventually gentrify and where will crime migrate next? Rural areas?
To a degree. There will always be high-crime areas in the metro area, it's just that it's more likely that these will be found in a suburb versus the city center.

Rural areas are already hotbeds of crime. The sweet call of meth and the hollowing out of rural economies has seen to that.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:05 PM

138 posts, read 127,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
^^^ Can't tell if serious.
I am also in this boat.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:34 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times
Actually, I have no idea how local news stations are able to stay on the air. I mean, because of all the crime that happens today, and that a lot of people just don't want to hear about it, they don't watch local/national news. I know I sure get tired of hearing about murders, robberies, drive-by shootings, meth lab busts at homes and motels and on and on. When my wife asks co-workers if they heard about this or that in the news, most of them say "no, don't watch the news". Same things goes with neighbors where we live.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:02 AM

So...honest question here.

Does anybody really feel unsafe when walking around Denver? Like, you're afraid you're going to get mugged or murdered?

Old 02-25-2016, 07:03 AM

898 posts, read 987,392 times
Quote:

Does anybody really feel unsafe when walking around Denver? Like, you're afraid you're going to get mugged or murdered?
Nope not at all. And I live in North Park Hill. Denver is far and away the safest city I've been in.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Nope not at all. And I live in North Park Hill. Denver is far and away the safest city I've been in.
That's good to hear

I mean...the tone of the original post would have some folks believe the city is of Denver is becoming a war zone. I watch the CBS 4 news every day at 5. Yesterday the lead story was a water main break in Boulder. That is a good thing.

Other big city's often have the local news begin with segments on a homicide multiple times a week.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:16 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times
I think, depending on where a person lives, walking around could be hazardous. There are certain parts of Denver proper that are definitely not safe to walk around in at night.........and many people who live in those areas will say that. Heck, that goes for certain areas in any big city.

A person's age can definitely play a part in it. The younger generation are much more braver than people in their 60's and above. Even though we don't, wife and I would walk around our apartment complex after dark. But, to walk outside our complex after dark........nope, no way. And, we live in one of the safer parts of the city (not Denver).

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or