Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Just read online, report from a local tv station:

"Almost 2-months into 2016, DPD are scrambling to make the city safer than last year. In 2015, crime rose in every neighborhood. Homicides hit a 10-year high." DPD Chief says the rise in crime is due to increase in gang violence. Gee, that is the same thing our Mayor and Chief of Police are saying about the first month of this year here........"many homicides due to gangs".

We have a new Mayor and Chief of Police that keep telling the public they can/will do something about the high crime rate here. A lot of locals, who have lived here for years, are saying "yea, right".

I know one thing, big/bigger cities is where the money is to be made, not small towns in Montana and Wyoming. Although, for those, like wife and I, who will either be retiring soon or are now retired, living in a small town would definitely be nice. Sure wouldn't have crime that any of the big cities in the U.S. do.

What do you think about the Denver Crime Report for 2015? What can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 11:14 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Relax. Smoke a J.

I am not in a panic.

According to stats at https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...tics-maps.html the overall crime rate increased 4% from 2014 to 2015.
In my neighborhood it went down by 6%.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Denver-Colorado.html shows crime decreased from 2001-2013 (no data shown for 2014, 2015).

Homicides are up. Yes, but are you going to be a victim? No. I presume you are a not a gang member, nor a drug dealer.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:43 AM

977 posts, read 1,327,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Gentrify the hell out of the remaining low-income neighborhoods and shift the gang crime to Aurora, Northglenn, Thorton, Commerce City, and other cheaper cities.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:29 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,394 times
And as far as overall crime, Denver is by far the safest big city I've ever been in. If you think there is a "serious" gang problem here, you should visit Chicago, Oakland, or Houston.

LoveBoating, you cite homicides in particular in your original post. So far for 2016, Chicago has 92 homicides. Denver has 6.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:36 PM

137 posts, read 196,868 times
I moved here last year from Baltimore, which has a slightly smaller population than Denver. I remember getting under 200 murders in 2011 and everybody was excited about that. It was under 350 this year. I'll take take Denver's "high" year at 50 any time. A number like 0 would be better, of course.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:38 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Just read online, report from a local tv station:

"Almost 2-months into 2016, DPD are scrambling to make the city safer than last year. In 2015, crime rose in every neighborhood. Homicides hit a 10-year high." DPD Chief says the rise in crime is due to increase in gang violence. Gee, that is the same thing our Mayor and Chief of Police are saying about the first month of this year here........"many homicides due to gangs".

We have a new Mayor and Chief of Police that keep telling the public they can/will do something about the high crime rate here. A lot of locals, who have lived here for years, are saying "yea, right".

I know one thing, big/bigger cities is where the money is to be made, not small towns in Montana and Wyoming. Although, for those, like wife and I, who will either be retiring soon or are now retired, living in a small town would definitely be nice. Sure wouldn't have crime that any of the big cities in the U.S. do.

I have a solution create an urban growth boundary no more expansion or sprawl. Allow property to appreciate due to scarcity this will push out criminals who can no longer afford to live here. And bam we have a lovely city that has no sprawl full of wealthy educated people crime will drop like a rock.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Gentrify the hell out of the remaining low-income neighborhoods and shift the gang crime to Aurora, Northglenn, Thorton, Commerce City, and other cheaper cities.
I don't think so, the north suburbs are gentrifying also. Keep your convicts out of the suburbs.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:03 PM

977 posts, read 1,327,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I don't think so, the north suburbs are gentrifying also. Keep your convicts out of the suburbs.
Nah, suburbs are where the lower classes are migrating to as the city centers regain their stature. Considering that appreciation of home values in Denver proper are outpacing many of the other municipalities you'd better get ready for the flood.

The sword of gentrification has almost finished off Curtis Park and Five Points is done. Once NE Park Hill is taken care of you'll see most of the gang violence in metro Denver occur in the outside suburbs,though areas like Montbello, Hampden, Morrison Road, and GVR might see an uptick. North Aurora is a strong candidate, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the gang activity does end up moving north into less desirable neighborhoods.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:14 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Nah, suburbs are where the lower classes are migrating to as the city centers regain their stature. Considering that appreciation of home values in Denver proper are outpacing many of the other municipalities you'd better get ready for the flood.

The sword of gentrification has almost finished off Curtis Park and Five Points is done. Once NE Park Hill is taken care of you'll see most of the gang violence in metro Denver occur in the outside suburbs,though areas like Montbello, Hampden, Morrison Road, and GVR might see an uptick. North Aurora is a strong candidate, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the gang activity does end up moving north into less desirable neighborhoods.
I will admit that parts of unincorporated Adams county such as Sherrelwood, Federal Heights, and south Thornton aren't the best kept areas. I doubt they'll get up to Montebello level in crime, but it's close competition.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
The suburbs aren't immune from the rising crime rates. While nothing has happened that would warrant a front page news story, property and vehicle thefts are becoming a real problem in neighborhoods that have up to now had little crime. It seemed to start last summer with cars being ransacked, but it's escalated. Now we're having problems with property vandalism. Some have been quick to blame our local teens, but I think the vast majority of it is coming from outside the neighborhood, because it's not just us. It seems to be everywhere in the south metro. We've given up expecting help from local law enforcement, who seem powerless to track down the perpetrators. Instead, many are installing motion sensitive exterior lighting and video cameras in the hopes of identifying the culprits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver