U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:44 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,843,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
And they probably don't pay anymore to ride it than residents of the RTD.
That is correct, they donít pay anymore to ride. But they do have to pay $4.00 a day to park. Which is free for residents of RTD. One of the dumber things that RTD does in my opinion.

HOW TO PARK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,295 times
Default A different historical perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Absolutely, that was the cityís plan. Ever wonder why the City and County of Denver owns so many parks in Jefferson County?.
Denver started parks in surrounding areas because of a turn of the century movement that strove to provide city dwellers with fresh air activities to get them out of tenement buildings. The name of that movement escapes me at the moment. But city planners specifically looked for mountain areas that people could drive their cars to on a day trip. You'll find such get-away-from-the-coalfire-air parks in many areas on the US. In all my research, I've never seen any source indicating that it was a means to seize land outside Denver proper. Perhaps your source of confusion has to do with the fact that Denver did create Alameda Avenue in Lakewood so WPA and Denver residents could get to Red Rocks Park.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 8,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There have been successful consolidations in Indianapolis and Jacksonville FL. Perhaps if suburban residents are allowed to keep their successful school districts, there would be less opposition.
As someone who formerly lived in the Indianapolis area, I believe Denver's organization of local governments is miles better than Indianapolis's. Crime has been spreading like wildfire in the areas that were annexed by Indianapolis. If anything, it has made sprawl worse because people would rather live in the far out exurbs than in the annexed areas.

In my opinion, the Poundstone Amendment is one of the best things that has happened to the Denver area. It has created more diversity with different cities having different characteristics, and I also believe that many smaller governments run more efficiently than one large one.

There can be an area that votes 75% Democrat (Denver), that's separate from an area that votes 66% Republican (Douglas County), which leads to happier citizens that have their needs better fulfilled by their local government.

Local governments can cooperate as little or as much as they like, and they have tended to cooperate a lot. Different jurisdictions have worked together to get bike trails built, and RTD satisfies the transportation needs of practically the entire metro area. DRCOG allows local governments to plan infrastructure projects together.

As davidv mentioned in his post, Denver Police has a history of corruption. The Poundstone Amendment creates limits to the power of the city of Denver, that if unchecked could have subjected the entire metro to a corrupt government. (Not saying Denver is corrupt, but having one jurisdiction for the entire area would make citizens more vulnerable to corruption.)

Old 03-12-2016, 03:18 PM

86,887 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
That is exactly what they were doing. They annexed the land for the Denver Tech Center, years before it was developed. Then they annexed land southwest into Jefferson County to Kipling and Belleview. That area has only recently been developed in the last couple of decades. They annexed Green Valley Ranch, east of Aurora. Denver was well on itís way to land-locking most of the suburbs, when the Poundstone Amendment put a stop to it.

As for the streetcar system, the Poundstone Amendment had nothing to do with that. The streetcars were already gone for 25 years when the Poundstone Amendment was passed, and the Denver Tramway had been out of business for a couple of years at that time. If the City and County of Denver had annexed the suburbs early on, it would have had one positive effect on transportation. The Denver Tramway would have been better able to provide bus service to the suburbs. Which was difficult for them to do, because of the cost of franchise fees. But even with annexation of the suburbs, that would have meant better bus service, not streetcars. Because the Denver Tramway and the City of Denver were already long since committed to bus only service.

On the subject of streetcars, the most unfortunate thing in Denver transportation history was that the Denver Tramway did not at least keep the streetcars on the interurban lines to Golden and Arvada. If they had preserved those rail lines, RTD would have been able to easily start light rail service to those areas in the 1970s, instead of just now.
Probably the first time I've ever agreed with you!

I don't see a great advantage of one big city spanning all the metro counties. Lands sakes, the school districts are large as it is! Most of the fire districts have mutual aid agreements. Smaller governments are closer to the people. Denver has 600,000 people and 13 council members, one for every 46,000 (roughly) people. Louisville has 20,000 people and 6 council members, one for every 3300 people. You do have more of a sense of community with a smaller city.

Re: the comment about more school/rec department cooperation, that does go on to a small extent anyway here in Louisville where there are some joint agreements. I believe the same is true in Broomfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver