U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:08 PM

540 posts, read 689,196 times

Advertisements

I SO remember that issue when I first moved to Denver from Montana. I acclimated after a couple months of using nasal spray, so didn't have to go to a humidifier.

And now I live in an area where I have to run a dehumidifier in the lower level of our house, or the towels will never dry after a shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 06:14 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,731,195 times
You will likely adapt with time. I just moved back from Chicago (a humid climate) last fall and it took me a couple months, but I got used to the dry air again.

The summers are also better. It doesn't get muggy here like it does out east, but there's a noticeable difference in the amount of moisture in the air, especially during the summer monsoon season when there are frequent thunderstorms.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:20 PM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
I recommend a whole house steam unit attached to you HVAC system. They aren't cheap and need to be professionally installed. They also require a 220v run to the HVAC room, but they work incredibly well and are much cleaner than other whole house humidifiers.

We have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Aprilaire-800-...eam+humidifier

Old 02-27-2016, 12:04 AM

31 posts, read 25,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
So I've been here just over two week and I must say, I really wish I had moved years ago. It's been lovely so far.

However, one issue I can't seem to find relief for is how awful my nose feels as the day progresses. I've read about a humidifier (house has one that is now turned on) and saline nose spray (which helps temporarily). I wanted ask: any remedies you folks suggest? Will this eventually normalize or am I in for a lifetime of annoyance? Thanks for any insight!
Welcome! I moved here from NorCal about 6 weeks ago and the first thing we did was buy a portable humidifier (and lots of hand lotion too). I had the dry sinus/dry hands for roughly 2 weeks until things started to adjust, so there is hope. I still get the dry nasal occasionally, but it's nowhere near as bad anymore.

I find that running the humidifier next to the bed overnight helps me tremendously the next morning. I also have a mini hygrometer to measure the indoor humidity, which hovers around 30-35%.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:57 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Do NOT use petroleum jelly in your nose. It can do bad things to your lungs. Use KY, as it is water-soluable.
An excellent point. I only mentioned because it seems to be a common suggestion. Our family ENT recommended KY Jelly.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:10 PM

898 posts, read 987,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinsj_99 View Post
Welcome! I moved here from NorCal about 6 weeks ago and the first thing we did was buy a portable humidifier (and lots of hand lotion too). I had the dry sinus/dry hands for roughly 2 weeks until things started to adjust, so there is hope. I still get the dry nasal occasionally, but it's nowhere near as bad anymore.

I find that running the humidifier next to the bed overnight helps me tremendously the next morning. I also have a mini hygrometer to measure the indoor humidity, which hovers around 30-35%.
Same here, and for us a warm mist humidifier worked much better than an ultrasonic one.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:33 PM

38 posts, read 74,104 times
Default Sinus Problems, Allergies, Head Colds...WTF Denver!?

Hello everyone...

I moved to Denver in January from the East Coast. Beautiful City, Beautiful State.

My only complaint is that I have been ridden with nasal and sinus problems since I moved out here. Anyone else experience this. Is it dry air? Strange allergies? Poor air quality/Inversion?

I can't for the life of me figure it out. I assumed allergies would be much worse on east coast due to blooms, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? Found any solution? Suggestions?

I'm starting with a humidifier and going to see if that helps.

Thanks!

twemh

Old 06-08-2016, 08:41 PM

6,523 posts, read 10,191,303 times
Could be dry air. Use saline nasal spray once a day.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 842,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twemh View Post
Hello everyone...

I moved to Denver in January from the East Coast. Beautiful City, Beautiful State.

My only complaint is that I have been ridden with nasal and sinus problems since I moved out here. Anyone else experience this. Is it dry air? Strange allergies? Poor air quality/Inversion?

I can't for the life of me figure it out. I assumed allergies would be much worse on east coast due to blooms, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? Found any solution? Suggestions?

I'm starting with a humidifier and going to see if that helps.

Thanks!

twemh
It's been really bad this season. My GF has been going through the same thing. I had a couple pretty bad head colds earlier in the year, and I usually never get sick. The only thing I can think of is that it's been more wet than usual here. Therefore, maybe there are more allergens in the air as a result. When I first moved here in 2008, there was a major drought happening throughout the region. I'd get little allergy flair ups here and there. But for the most part, my allergies seemed to have subsided in comparison to how bad they were in the Midwest. And the only thing I can think of that's different is how much moisture Denver has had the last couple of years.

As for solutions, my girlfriend takes Zyrtec and some other natural remedy stuff she found at Whole Foods. It comes with a dropper dispenser and tastes awful. But she claims it works great. If I can find the name of it, I'll let you know.

Last edited by SQL; 06-08-2016 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 08:45 PM

3,459 posts, read 1,698,309 times
I was hoping my husband's allergies would be better when we moved from the east coast 18 months ago. Not the case. In fact his got so bad that he went to see an allergist for the first time. We don't know what it is, but he rides his bike a lot on the trails and that definitely gets things going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver