U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:03 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,939,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I just moved to DEN from LA for work and have been really impressed so far. Tons of bars, hot young chicks, ample parking, mild weather, tons of biking and parks. And I'm on reverse traffic flows so there's no traffic to work! My rent is fine for my wage - just stay out of LoHi as its like 1500 a month for a 1 br.

I love LA but DEN has been a refreshing eye opener. We will see if it gets old.
Being from LA and after living in Denver for 6 years, I would say that Denver has a lot to offer. However, I don't recommend going back to LA often because every time I do... I miss it. As the costs continue to rise in Denver it becomes less of a gap and LA offers so much more (IMO).

LA has a much better single life IMO. I can literally get off the plane go to a bar and there are tons of well kept single women available. Also, I have found that women in LA are much more sophisticated with online dating, women here are still tentative.

Denver is by far easier to navigate than LA traffic wise, but LA has so many little enclaves each with their own attitude it is worth the drive. Denver is by far better for families.

Like I said there are trade-offs and as the costs continue to rise in Denver, California's value as being more diverse and having more things to do becomes more inline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,139,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Being from LA and after living in Denver for 6 years, I would say that Denver has a lot to offer. However, I don't recommend going back to LA often because every time I do... I miss it. As the costs continue to rise in Denver it becomes less of a gap and LA offers so much more (IMO).

LA has a much better single life IMO. I can literally get off the plane go to a bar and there are tons of well kept single women available. Also, I have found that women in LA are much more sophisticated with online dating, women here are still tentative.

Like I said there are trade-offs and as the costs continue to rise in Denver, California's value as being more diverse and having more things to do becomes more inline.
One thing CO has over CA is income tax - the flat rate cuts my former CA rate in half. Costs are going up for sure, but gas, bars, rent is still cheaper than LA. For how much longer? No idea since LA's costs are going through the roof as well. Say goodbye to the days when you can have a 1 BR apartment in Echo Park for 800 a month.

For dating: I suppose to each his or her own - but I can see your point. LA has a real stuck up nature to dating and while that might also be the case to some degree in DEN, I don't think it's nearly as competitive. I think finally the influx of Men/Women ratio in DEN is finally catching up to the point where the name "Menver" can finally be retired.

I've noticed the ratio at bars in LA & DEN is relatively the same. However all my online dating apps have constantly been blowing up since I've moved here compared to LA.

I'll say this when I lived in the NYC for a few years and flew back to LA to visit, I REALLY missed it. So to the point that I eventually ended up moving back. Being here I can only say I'll miss it when it's subzero temps.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:11 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,646,140 times
I was divorced/single for 21 years while living in Orange County, Calif. one thing I had absolutely no problem with was meeting women. Didn't meet a lot, but enough. But, back then, I was as good at riding a horse (rodeo/roping) as I was at doing a 2-Step or Texas Swing. Those days are long gone now with being married, but a couple of replies here reminded me of those days.

Let's put it this way, if I was still single, So. California would be the only place I'd live! And, I done fine on a salary of $10 per hour back then.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:03 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,939,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I was divorced/single for 21 years while living in Orange County, Calif. one thing I had absolutely no problem with was meeting women. Didn't meet a lot, but enough. But, back then, I was as good at riding a horse (rodeo/roping) as I was at doing a 2-Step or Texas Swing. Those days are long gone now with being married, but a couple of replies here reminded me of those days.

Let's put it this way, if I was still single, So. California would be the only place I'd live!
And, I done fine on a salary of $10 per hour back then.

Dude every time my job asks me to travel back to SoCal I take it...place is a gold mine.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM

556 posts, read 578,387 times
As a married guy with two kids who came from Los Angles. No thank you.

I see the point of it being a good place for singles as I wouldn't know about how it works out here in Denver. But with having a family? LA is crippling in that regard. Denver is much better, and it's not even remotely close.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:51 AM

So, if that is true about families there, why are there still so many families living there? Yes, the "singles scene" is big there, but (IMO) so is the family scene..........Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, LA Zoo, Universal Studios Tour and on and on. Not just tourist go to the places, so do locals. It can be an expensive place to live with tons of traffic, but that is really getting to be the thing in big cities today. With Denver, not necessarily an exception. The area was growing by "leaps and bounds" when we left there in late 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
As a married guy with two kids who came from Los Angles. No thank you.

I see the point of it being a good place for singles as I wouldn't know about how it works out here in Denver. But with having a family? LA is crippling in that regard. Denver is much better, and it's not even remotely close.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
So, if that is true about families there, why are there still so many families living there? Yes, the "singles scene" is big there, but (IMO) so is the family scene..........Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, LA Zoo, Universal Studios Tour and on and on. Not just tourist go to the places, so do locals. It can be an expensive place to live with tons of traffic, but that is really getting to be the thing in big cities today. With Denver, not necessarily an exception. The area was growing by "leaps and bounds" when we left there in late 2007.
I can't answer for everyone as I don't know everyone's situation. I'm sure some people make a lot of money and it's not a big deal. I'm sure some people inherited homes or business so they stay. I'm sure some people really enjoy the things you mentioned so they put up with the problematic parts. But I bet a lot of people just don't have the means to get out. It's not that easy to just pickup and leave a place that you've always known, find a job in another city that you don't live in, and start fresh. Of course it's possible, but it's challenging, and some people are scared of the unknown. And I bet a bunch more people are just stuck for various reasons. And a lot of people live in horrible debt as well and just accept that it's the way it is.

But with regard to where is a better place to raise a family? Denver is leaps and bounds better. A lot of that has to do with costs, and a lot has to do with less severe extremes of the issues you noted. That's just a function of a city that's 1/4 the size with housing that's 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:03 PM

Sort of funny, but I just looked at the Los Angeles and Orange County forums of California and there are some that are moving from Denver to one of those two areas. There are also folks in both forums that wonder why anyone would leave So California to live in a "snow-belt area". And, there are people that not only are moving from Denver to L.A. or Orange County, there are those who are moving there from other states, like New York. Guess there are those that just want to get completely away from "Old Man Winter".
Just looked at a couple of websites that had cities in both L.A. Country and Orange County that listed Top places for families to live. Guess there are those that can afford to live in Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Laguna Hills, Anaheim Hills and so on.

Don't get me wrong, Denver is a nice place to raise a family, but from what wife and I have seen, while living in Orange County and traveling around both Orange County and Los Angeles County, there are cities in both that are well populated with families. Now, as far as Los Angeles itself goes, I could see where it wouldn't necessarily be a "family friendly" area, but numerous families do live there that could move at any time. But, fear of the unknown is a major concern, unless it's a job transfer, would really rule that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
I can't answer for everyone as I don't know everyone's situation. I'm sure some people make a lot of money and it's not a big deal. I'm sure some people inherited homes or business so they stay. I'm sure some people really enjoy the things you mentioned so they put up with the problematic parts. But I bet a lot of people just don't have the means to get out. It's not that easy to just pickup and leave a place that you've always known, find a job in another city that you don't live in, and start fresh. Of course it's possible, but it's challenging, and some people are scared of the unknown. And I bet a bunch more people are just stuck for various reasons. And a lot of people live in horrible debt as well and just accept that it's the way it is.

But with regard to where is a better place to raise a family? Denver is leaps and bounds better. A lot of that has to do with costs, and a lot has to do with less severe extremes of the issues you noted. That's just a function of a city that's 1/4 the size with housing that's 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:12 PM

53 posts, read 45,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Come on, really?

In order to afford a $500K home COMFORTABLY, not being house poor, you net a net (after tax) income of around $1,000,000 per year.
I don't usually comment on stuff on this board, but this is hysterical. Love the math.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Sort of funny, but I just looked at the Los Angeles and Orange County forums of California and there are some that are moving from Denver to one of those two areas. There are also folks in both forums that wonder why anyone would leave So California to live in a "snow-belt area". And, there are people that not only are moving from Denver to L.A. or Orange County, there are those who are moving there from other states, like New York. Guess there are those that just want to get completely away from "Old Man Winter".
Just looked at a couple of websites that had cities in both L.A. Country and Orange County that listed Top places for families to live. Guess there are those that can afford to live in Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Laguna Hills, Anaheim Hills and so on.

Don't get me wrong, Denver is a nice place to raise a family, but from what wife and I have seen, while living in Orange County and traveling around both Orange County and Los Angeles County, there are cities in both that are well populated with families. Now, as far as Los Angeles itself goes, I could see where it wouldn't necessarily be a "family friendly" area, but numerous families do live there that could move at any time. But, fear of the unknown is a major concern, unless it's a job transfer, would really rule that decision.
For every one of Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Laguna Hills, Anaheim Hills, there are 10 of Panorama City, Montebello, North Hills, Sunland, Lakeview Terrance, Long Beach, Yorba Linda, etc.

Of course there are nice places in Los Angeles, if there weren't, you wouldn't even know it exists. And of course there are people who can afford there live in those place. But the vast majority of people in Los Angeles cannot. And on the whole, Denver seems to be much nicer, cleaner, more cost effective, less polluted, less crime riddled, and less congested than Los Angeles.

Like I said earlier, it's really hard for people to move away from something that they have known their whole lives. Maybe the allure of no winter is strong from people who are in NY, MN, WI, etc., but Denver winter's are mild compared to those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or