Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:12 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times

Advertisements

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Could I have a lower COL, and a bigger house on a bigger lot in a place like Dallas? Sure - but then I'd have to a) drop my salary 15% and b) LIVE IN DALLAS. No thanks. I'll pay a premium to never have to live in the Metroplex ever again. I've spent more time outdoors in 4.5 years here than I did the entire 12.5 I lived down there. It's *&^%ing glorious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 01:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
For sure!

Who can afford $500K homes anyway besides Powerball lottery winners, Justin Bieber, Fortune 100 CEOs, and superstar MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL players.
You would be surprised how many people can afford a $500K home and they are not even close to being rich.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:55 PM

238 posts, read 696,083 times
To put this into perspective, I was living in NoVA (Northern Virginia) and came out here a few years ago... The same type of house in that area would have cost me twice, maybe more, as much as what I paid here. What's even more mind-boggling is that most of my DC peers did not see a dip in salary when transferring or finding new employment out here.

To look at some real data, I ran PayScale's COL calculator and it states that housing in Denver proper is 51% less expensive than DC. So if people are making even remotely close to what they're earning in their previous state, CO is a huge bargain even today. I would venture to say this is true for most major coastal cities, not just California.

I'm not justifying the cost of housing, just giving some insight to people as to why many, many people see Denver as desirable and want to move here. (That's not even including the beautiful mountains, numerous state and national parks, craft beer culture, and professional sports.)

Old 03-03-2016, 01:59 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
The salary you need to afford a home in these 25 cities - MarketWatch

Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Interesting. Denver is the most expensive non-coastal city. I imagine this map looked very different 7 to 10 years ago.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:17 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
This has the specifics for Denver.

The salary you must earn to buy a home in 27 metros

They are using a $353,500 median home price with 20% down.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:51 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Could I have a lower COL, and a bigger house on a bigger lot in a place like Dallas? Sure - but then I'd have to a) drop my salary 15% and b) LIVE IN DALLAS. No thanks. I'll pay a premium to never have to live in the Metroplex ever again. I've spent more time outdoors in 4.5 years here than I did the entire 12.5 I lived down there. It's *&^%ing glorious.
Exactly.

Check this house out. In my old home town in Florida, you can find a 1700 Sq/Ft home on 1/4 an acre for 130K. I'm sure with a little digging, I could find a decent house for under 100K.

360 Nw Rheine Rd, Palm Bay, FL 32907 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Yes you will have a nice home for a low price, but then you end up living in a town in Florida. People WANT to live here in Denver. People DONT want to live in Palm Bay, Florida.

The point is, desirable places always cost more than those places which are less desirable.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Denver is ranked #1 US News best place to live in 2016 according to this link. What are your thoughts, and do you have a different opinion otherwise?

Best Places to Live | U.S. News Real Estate
What I like about it:
-many of the natives hate it
-it keeps Denver at its peak
-more home appreciation
-puts us even more on the map

What I don't like about it:
only that I don't agree with it. I could name at least a dozen gripes that are not the usual suspects (a la the rent is too damn high, traffic, bla bla), IMO more often better QOL's are found in more off the radar locales with less stressed living conditions.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:00 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times
Denver has too much suburban sprawl for me and it's ban on Pitbulls would mean I could never live there.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 AM

31 posts, read 36,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Denver is ranked #1 US News best place to live in 2016 according to this link. What are your thoughts, and do you have a different opinion otherwise?

Best Places to Live | U.S. News Real Estate
It doesn't surprise me. Compared to other mid to large-sized cities, Denver ranks high in my opinion.

As someone who recently had a job transfer from Silicon Valley, I feel like I can actually "breathe" out here and not be tied up in the usual rat-race. The housing prices help, and are like a bargain compared to SV ($950k+ for a 3-bedroom 1950's SFH, anyone? ) although I DO NOT want to see another run-up in prices here like what's going on in CA.

An added bonus is that everyone is a lot friendlier out here and genuinely polite, people aren't always in a rush or so focused on money all the time! I didn't realize how much that could improve my mood and daily life.
I can see why many people would want to call this place home.

PS: The sunny weather also helps, this winter hasn't been as bad as I thought at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver