Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,094,514 times

Advertisements

I grew up in southwest Denver and as a child played sports, first in the Catholic leagues and later in high school, where I had to travel to play teams from all over the metro area. When my son was in Catholic school we had a similar experience driving from place to place from Boulder/Longmont to Castle Rock/Parker and everywhere in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 12:15 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,809,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Just wondering, but how much of the Denver metro have you explored/know well?

It's kinda strange to me, because I don't really know much about the Northern suburbs. Every now and then I'll get up there to go to Water World or pass through on my way to Boulder and it's just so new to me every time. Same goes for pretty much anything West of Downtown. I generally don't stray far from Aurora/Denver.

I just find it kinda cool that there's so much I don't know about this city still. Thoughts?
Every square inch.

When I first moved here in 2007, I lived in South Aurora, at Quincy/Parker. My first job was delivering pizza in SE Aurora (a place I grew to loathe ). I almost never go over there now, except for the few (to several times) a year trip to Casa Vallarta. I also filled in at another store (same chain) in East Central Aurora (east of I-225/between 6th and Iliff) for awhile, I would have much preferred working at that store permanently as opposed to the SE Aurora store (working/lower middle-class people tip better than affluent; which is my experience everywhere). Less clusters in geography too, SE Aurora was a PITA to navigate. At the time, we never left the South Aurora area for much of anything.

Staying in the pizza delivery business here wasn't a good prospect, so I found a second job, as a courier. My plan was to do that for awhile until I got in a better position financially. I signed on at the right time, because I ended up making $1K-2K per week, and found myself going all over the metro area and region (needless to say, I quit the pizza job). I immediately got to know DIA, Montbello, North Aurora, Thornton, Downtown, Englewood (real, not ""), the DTC, and the Centennial Airport areas VERY WELL. At this time, I'd only occasionally go the western half of the metro, with semi-frequent trips around the state/neighboring states. The next 1.5 years we lived in Central Aurora (Aurora Hills).

In 2009, I transferred out of state, and transferred back here. Best and worst of times of my life that year.

Upon landing back here in late 2009, we settled just north of the DTC at Quincy/Tamarac. We stayed there until early 2014. I courier'ed it up again. Our kids played sports at Harvard Gulch and La Familia, so we got to know those neighborhoods and some of the people in them pretty well. I took up poker, and spent time learning how to play in bars in virtually every corner of the metro area; Greenwood Village, Aurora, Lakewood, Englewood, SE Denver, Wheat Ridge, Westminster, Arvada, Parker, "Littleton", Northglenn (I've since gotten to know Black Hawk, Cripple Creek, and Las Vegas ). I still go to the Hampden/DTC area a few times a month, and don't miss it at all.

By early 2014, we were finally in the market to buy a house, and chose Arvada by luck, random, or some sort of providence. We spend a lot of time here in Arvada, Westminster (Westminster is 4 literal blocks away, our Wal-Mart, dentist, and many of our restaurants of choice are there), Wheat Ridge, Adams County (6 literal blocks away, where our grocery store, gas station, Elvis, some fast food is), Lakeside, and NW Denver. In 2014, I began playing baseball on weekends during the summer, and have played at tons of high schools all over the metro area (North, South, Prairie View, Dawson, Machebeuf, Rangeview, Bear Creek, Green Mountain, Adams City, Arvada West, Englewood, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Rock Canyon, Alameda, GVR).

Oldest kid played football last summer, primarily at Arvada West, but also at Mountain Range, and TJ. I caught an away basketball game of his at JFK. I'm sure I'll travel for his baseball games this spring too. Middle kid is in a program in the Jeffco part of "Littleton". I've played poker down there, and have baseball meetings down there.

I've been to every hospital, and every major sporting venue with the exception of Dick's. The three tallest buildings downtown (at the very least; used to work at the Wells Fargo Building). Every airport except for Front Range. Every still standing mall, except I haven't been *inside* Southwest Plaza. Most every movie theater. The Ogden, the Fillmore, the toilet (Fiddler's Green), and Red Rocks. The state capitol, the Denver Mint, the Zoo, Denver Public Library, the City/County building, Aurora's court/municipal building and library, Littleton's city hall, Arvada's city hall/police station, and Jeffco's court. Rec centers and parks all over.

So you tell me.

Last edited by Count David; 03-08-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 11,630 times
I'm a bicyclist, so I'm familiar with pretty much the entire metro area. I've done the entire length (or almost entire length) of the South Platte Trail, Cherry Creek Trail, Clear Creek, Sand Creek, Bear Creek, Toll Gate Creek (Aurora), Ralston Creek (Arvada), C-470 Trail, Highline Canal, Big Dry Creek Trail (Westminster), etc.

I've also been on roads in pretty much every city.

It's definitely a very nice area overall. I've never felt in danger of crime in any area.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:26 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,866,533 times
I was born there in 1956. Moved to UT in 1958, then back again in 1969 (my dad was in radio).

Went to high school at Lakewood. After graduation I got a job downtown at 2201 Blake (roughly near home plate at Coors Field).

Bought a house in Aurora where both my kids were born. Moved south to Parker and worked in old Englewood. My mother lived in Lakewood for 45 years, same house she and my dad bought before he passed in 1981.

Saw a lot of growth from 1969 through 1999, when I moved to the Springs.

I used to think I knew every square inch and probably did. Still know it fairly well, but a lot has changed since I lived there. I'll admit I can't keep up with all that's taken place over the past 60 years.

Last edited by Kar54; 03-10-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 12:39 PM

60 posts, read 239,904 times
I'm pretty familiar with most of the metro area. When I first moved here I lived in Boulder and spent weekends exploring the surrounding areas (Longmont, Louisville, Nederland, etc.) I went to grad school in Denver and worked downtown for many years so I feel comfortable most anywhere in the city. After living a year in Lakewood/Littleton plus two years in Castle Rock (there are some great little towns near Castle Rock), I feel I know my way around pretty well. Aurora is the exception—I get lost whenever I go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver